PDA

View Full Version : Running SqueezeCenter with different data sets

agentsmith
2008-08-06, 03:41
I asked this question a long while back, now that SlimServer has become SqueezeCenter I thought I would try my luck again.

Like most long time Slim users I have an ever growing library with way over 10s of thousands of tracks. What I find after >10k tracks is the system becomes extremely slow with when accessing the database and is taking up a lot of system resources. Remote key strokes sometimes takes seconds.

Is there any way I can partition SC to access different folders one at a time. e.g. Start SC X:\Classical when I feel like classical and "Start SC X:\Jazz" when I feel like Jazz?

I think this may greatly reduce the database size and speed us access.

Any ideas?

Mnyb
2008-08-06, 14:14
? interesting i havent noticed any lack of performance with 16000 files ?
Are you running SC on a nas or similar ? (or maybe I'm slow not noticing any lag on remote control)

Well my setup is very straight mostly flac's no transcoding, no itunes integration or other oddities not many pluggins either, might not be sensitive to this problem.

agentsmith
2008-08-07, 01:51
? interesting i havent noticed any lack of performance with 16000 files ?
Are you running SC on a nas or similar ? (or maybe I'm slow not noticing any lag on remote control)

Well my setup is very straight mostly flac's no transcoding, no itunes integration or other oddities not many pluggins either, might not be sensitive to this problem.

I have over 30,000 songs, mostly FLACs with no transcoding and no iTunes integration either. I installed SC7.1 with no plug-ins installed and the response is hit or miss.

I tried this on a Dual Core T61 Thinkpad running Windoze Vista, also tried this on a WinXP machine same result.

Access is via a mapped drive off a NAS. Connectivity is 100Mbps wired Ethernet.

aubuti
2008-08-07, 09:00
You might want to try Erland's Multi-Library plug-in (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Multi_Library_plugin).

erland
2008-08-07, 22:21
You might want to try Erland's Multi-Library plug-in (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Multi_Library_plugin).

I suspect Multi Library will not solve this, Multi Library will make it possible to select Classical or Jazz as a top level menu, but if the performance problems are database related Multi Library will just make it worse.

agentsmith, how are you browsing your music ? Are you using the Artists/Albums/Genres menus or are you using the Music Folder menu ?
I suspect the Music Folder menu might be limited by the network performance since the music files are on the NAS.

As already noted by Mnyb, a bit over 10k tracks shouldn't be a problem with your hardware unless you have very little memory in the machine. I assume you only have the music files on the NAS and not the SqueezeCenter installation itself ?

agentsmith
2008-08-15, 11:18
I suspect Multi Library will not solve this, Multi Library will make it possible to select Classical or Jazz as a top level menu, but if the performance problems are database related Multi Library will just make it worse.
I am thinking to make multiple independent (smaller) databases, would opening them one at a time increase performance?

agentsmith, how are you browsing your music ? Are you using the Artists/Albums/Genres menus or are you using the Music Folder menu ?
I suspect the Music Folder menu might be limited by the network performance since the music files are on the NAS.
I do not use the Music Folder menu. I am browsing by artists or albums. Browsing with the remote seems to be quicker.

As already noted by Mnyb, a bit over 10k tracks shouldn't be a problem with your hardware unless you have very little memory in the machine. I assume you only have the music files on the NAS and not the SqueezeCenter installation itself ?
I actually have ~40K tracks. I have a newish dual core **Vista (YUCK)** laptop with 2GB of RAM. And yes the music itself is stored in a NAS. I guess it shouldn’t affect access of the music database?

egd
2008-08-23, 18:25
I have over 30,000 songs, mostly FLACs with no transcoding and no iTunes integration either. I installed SC7.1 with no plug-ins installed and the response is hit or miss.

I tried this on a Dual Core T61 Thinkpad running Windoze Vista, also tried this on a WinXP machine same result.

Access is via a mapped drive off a NAS. Connectivity is 100Mbps wired Ethernet.

What NAS is being used to serve the library? Based on the setup you've described it would be the logical bottleneck in your setup.

Something else to consider is that SC runs a lot faster under *ANY* Linux distro than it does under Windows. No idea why, it just does. My experiments building a library on a desktop SC installation referencing data on a NAS consistently have the Linux based SC building and accessing the library significantly faster than same from a Windows based OS (tried XP and W2k3) from a machine of virtually the identical spec (ie same RAM, quad core etc).