PDA

View Full Version : Receiver without Controller?

davidjames
2008-08-06, 00:25
Reading the Receiver page on the Slimdevices website, this quote seems pretty clear:

System requirements:

* Squeezbox Controller required for network setup

I'm hoping there might be a way around it. What I'd like to do is buy a receiver and control it via my iTouch and SqueezeCenter.

Is it possible and if so, can someone point me to directions?

nidfix
2008-08-06, 04:49
In order to control it from SqueezeCenter, you have to manually configure it with tool like Net-Udap:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43722
I tried it and it works well

For ITouch i don't know, but i am sure that others will be able to help you

christhedon
2008-08-07, 03:24
That link seemed complicated. In short is it possible / feasible at the moment to get just the reciever and use my window mobile phone to play the tunes? As long as I have squeezecentre on a PC? I'm not keen on getting a remote as I have enough of those at the moment.

Thanks,

Chris

andynormancx
2008-08-07, 03:27
That link seemed complicated. In short is it possible / feasible at the moment to get just the reciever and use my window mobile phone to play the tunes? As long as I have squeezecentre on a PC? I'm not keen on getting a remote as I have enough of those at the moment.

You can use the browser or a separate app on your Windows mobile to control the playback. But that doesn't help with setting up the Receiver in the first place. To do that you either have to use the Net-Udap tool linked above or a Controller.

christhedon
2008-08-07, 09:03
Cool. What seperate app is available for windows mobile 6?

What other disadvantages are there to not having the remote?

andynormancx
2008-08-07, 10:23
Cool. What seperate app is available for windows mobile 6?

There was one called SlimRemote for PocketPC, but the website it is on appears to be dead.

davidjames
2008-08-07, 13:14
In order to control it from SqueezeCenter, you have to manually configure it with tool like Net-Udap:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43722
I tried it and it works well

For ITouch i don't know, but i am sure that others will be able to help youThanks for the link. I read through the doc, downloaded perl and Net-Udap and it seems doable. I ordered a SB Receiver yesterday and it will be here on Monday. Hopefully it will work.

It looks like there is a skin for SC for the iTouch, so hopefully Monday night I will be happily navigating my songs using the iTouch and SB Receiver.

By the way, if anyone from Logitech is reading, I don't understand why you would force customers to buy the controller to configure the Receiver, other then, of course, to sell more controllers ;)

What about updating Receiver firmware, is that possible without a controller?
I think the receiver should be configurable by a browser.

andynormancx
2008-08-07, 17:51

Yes, the Receiver automatically downloads its firmware from SqueezeCenter without you needing to do anything.

radish
2008-08-07, 17:55
By the way, if anyone from Logitech is reading, I don't understand why you would force customers to buy the controller to configure the Receiver, other then, of course, to sell more controllers ;)

A typical network setup needs the user to enter information and make choices. That's hard with neither buttons nor a display :) Yes, it's possible to do it over the ethernet port (as net-udap does) but that tool is way beyond the average user. Could Logitech make a more user friendly version of net-udap? Sure, but I'm guessing they think the average user will probably also want something to control the player with...the Duet makes an attractive package. It comes down to best use of resources.

Firmware updates are applied automatically.

davidjames
2008-08-07, 19:27
A typical network setup needs the user to enter information and make choices. That's hard with neither buttons nor a display :) That's why I suggested configuration via a browser. My router and VOIP box doesn't have any buttons or display and I can configure them quite nicely ;) For the average user, the current system is fine. I'm just asking them to allow the receiver to be "officially" used without the controller.

Firmware updates are applied automatically.Thanks, that's very good news.

radish
2008-08-07, 20:51
That's why I suggested configuration via a browser. My router and VOIP box doesn't have any buttons or display and I can configure them quite nicely ;)

Routers are usually the first device in a network and usually manage the IP space with a DHCP server, hence they can fairly easily dictate the network settings. That's less the case for a client device, there's no way for the browser to communicate with the device until the network setup is done. My experience with a VOIP box is that it was an absolute pain, requiring me to essentially hook it up on it's own private network (using it's default netmask and IP range) so I could login and set it back to what it should be for my network. That's why Vonage and co prefer you to stick the VOIP box outside your router, it's an easier setup for them to support. Alas, it also doesn't work for a music player. I do think that a GUI version of net-udap is the way to go (that's essentially what things like slingboxes use), I'm just not holding my breath.

andynormancx
2008-08-08, 00:57
I do think that a GUI version of net-udap is the way to go (that's essentially what things like slingboxes use), I'm just not holding my breath.

Do you know if UDAP is documented anywhere ? After a bit of Googling yesterday I couldn't find any documentation on the protocol.

davidjames
2008-08-11, 13:53
I received my SB Receiver about an hour ago. It's up and running. Thanks so much to those who created the Net-UDAP script and the iPeng plug in.

radish
2008-08-11, 17:30
Do you know if UDAP is documented anywhere ? After a bit of Googling yesterday I couldn't find any documentation on the protocol.

A good question - not sure actually. I'm guessing Robin used something, but maybe it's all reverse engineered. However, now the hard work's done - we can just use the Net-UDAP source as documentation :)

andynormancx
2008-08-11, 23:32
However, now the hard work's done - we can just use the Net-UDAP source as documentation :)
I started doing that, reading Perl gives me a headache and nightmares ;) So I was hoping for some actual documentation...

christhedon
2009-09-27, 11:35
so I think the answer to my original question is yes its possible, but requires some technical know-how and complicated documentation to configure the receiver without the remote.

In terms of using the mobile as a control there is some good software called slimcontrol, it stills got some improvements to be made, but is not bad as it is.