PDA

View Full Version : Filetypes and transcoding

terjehaa
2008-08-04, 15:35
Hi all you squeezebox fans :)
I have a newbie question for you that I hope some of you can answer.

I rip my CD's with iTunes using "Apple Lossless Encoder". All my files have the extension .m4a
When I view info about song on my SB controller (Duet) I see the File Format is showing "Apple AAC or Movie File" not "Apple Lossless".
And when I check filetypes in advanced section of my Squeezecenter I find that Apple Lossless and Apple AAC are two different things which can be configured differently. I'm a bit confused here cause I wanted to play my music transcoded to wav since some people indicate that this gives the best sound?

Can anyone explain this for me?
Thanks for advice!

Nonreality
2008-08-04, 17:36
Hi all you squeezebox fans :)
I have a newbie question for you that I hope some of you can answer.

I rip my CD's with iTunes using "Apple Lossless Encoder". All my files have the extension .m4a
When I view info about song on my SB controller (Duet) I see the File Format is showing "Apple AAC or Movie File" not "Apple Lossless".
And when I check filetypes in advanced section of my Squeezecenter I find that Apple Lossless and Apple AAC are two different things which can be configured differently. I'm a bit confused here cause I wanted to play my music transcoded to wav since some people indicate that this gives the best sound?

Can anyone explain this for me?
Thanks for advice!There won't be any difference in sound. Why are you encoding them to m4a? For an Ipod? If not you probably would be better served with using dbpoweramp or EAC and ripping to flac. It's supported natively by the SB's.

terjehaa
2008-08-05, 04:32
I find it convenient to use iTunes since I also use iPod and I like the integration between squeezebox and iTunes i.e. updating playlists.

The reason I wanted to try wav transcoding was that someone on this forum (in the audiophiles section) suggested it to sound better and I wanted to test this.

But the main question is WHY it shows up as apple aac when IT IS a apple lossless .m4a file ???

terjehaa
2008-08-09, 06:55
Nobody have an answer for me on this?

bpa
2008-08-09, 07:28
The filename has an extension m4a but the contents of a m4a file can be compressed (aac) or lossless (alac) - SC examines the file and plays them accordingly.

However the file name extension m4a is setup in the types.conf file to be mapped into the MOV audio type and the MOV audio type is described by the strings.txt files as follows.

MOV
DA Apple AAC eller film
DE Apple AAC oder Film-Datei
EN Apple AAC or Movie File
ES Archivo sin pérdidas, de película o AAC de Apple
FI Apple AAC, Häviötön tai Elokuvatiedosto
FR Apple AAC ou film
HE קובץ Apple AAC<U+200F>, או סרט
IT File Apple AAC o Movie
JA アップルAAC、ロスレスまたはムービーファイル
NL Apple AAC of filmbestand
NO Apple AAC eller film
PT Apple AAC of Ficheiro Movie
SV Apple AAC eller film
ZH_CN Apple AAC,无损或电影文件

So the problem lies in an ambiguous filename extension but don't worry SC decodes it correctly.

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-09, 08:46
Nobody have an answer for me on this?

Don't worry about it. The files will play. I actually have my server (MacMINI) transcode from ALAC to WAV as some users feel it sounds a little better than transcoding to FLAC.

terjehaa
2008-08-09, 13:05
Thank you very much for feedback guys!
Eric, how do you set up the conv to wav? I'd like to test which one of those formats I like best.