PDA

View Full Version : 6.5.4 --> 7.1 - Backup

amey01
2008-08-04, 14:57
I'm finally going to upgrade from my trusty 6.5.4 which has been running for what seems like forever to 7.1.

I intend to uninstall 6.5.4 and do a fresh install of 7.1.

What do I need to backup from the 6.5.4 installation (WinXP) to ensure I can revert if it all goes "belly-up" - that is, my playlists, plugins, screensavers, config, database - everything so that I can get my 6.5.4 server back as I have it now.

amey01
2008-09-02, 18:47
Anyone? I'm sure this has been discussed, but can't uncover anything in my searching.

I'd really like to upgrade (to 7.2 now)......

JJZolx
2008-09-02, 20:52
I'm finally going to upgrade from my trusty 6.5.4 which has been running for what seems like forever to 7.1.

I intend to uninstall 6.5.4 and do a fresh install of 7.1.

What do I need to backup from the 6.5.4 installation (WinXP) to ensure I can revert if it all goes "belly-up" - that is, my playlists, plugins, screensavers, config, database - everything so that I can get my 6.5.4 server back as I have it now.

Dont' worry about the database. It will be recreated by whatever version of the server you run. You'll just need to run a full scan afterwards (and it will automatically do that if the database is blank). For downgrading, your safest bet will probably be to stop the server, delete the entire program installation folder (and/or run the uninstaller), install fresh, copy your old files into place, then start up the server and let it create a new database and do a library scan.

Assuming you've installed SlimServer into the standard 'C:\Program Files\SlimServer' folder, the full config should be in a file called slimserver.pref in the folder

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server

If you've created any custom files for strings or file type handling, they'll be in the same folder. Files like custom-strings.txt, custom-types.conf, etc.

Backup the entire playlist folder. Unless you've changed the location, I believe it will be found at

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Playlists

Third party plugins will be in the Plugins folder at

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Plugins

If you can tell which are third-party then backup each individual plugin directory. Or play it safe and backup the whole thing. Screensavers are just plugins, so should be in the same location.

If you've installed any 3rd party encoders (such as LAME), they'll be in

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread

They'll be preserved by the upgrade process, but it can't hurt to have a copy in case you want to completely remove the installation folder to downgrade.

amey01
2008-09-02, 21:18
Thank you!