X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nidfix
    • Jul 2008

Static IP and receiver

Hello,

I would like to know if it is actually possible to set a static IP address to the receiver of a Duet without using static assigned IP a by DHCP server.

I well noticed the note in the documentation about the fact that at some point it is supposed to complain about DHCP settings but I never saw any screen that would allow me to enter some address manually, at least never in ad-hoc mode.

Does anyone know if it is really possible and if yes how ?
  • bhaagensen
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nidfix
    Hello,

I would like to know if it is actually possible to set a static IP address to the receiver of a Duet without using static assigned IP a by DHCP server.

I well noticed the note in the documentation about the fact that at some point it is supposed to complain about DHCP settings but I never saw any screen that would allow me to enter some address manually, at least never in ad-hoc mode.

Does anyone know if it is really possible and if yes how ?
    Could you clarify what you mean by "static assigned IP a by DHCP server".

Comment

• slydog75
      • May 2008

Originally posted by bhaagensen
      Could you clarify what you mean by "static assigned IP a by DHCP server".
      He means setting up your DHCP server (generally your router) to always assign the same IP address to a certain device (ie. your reciever) based on it's MAC address. So the reciever still pulls it's IP address from your router but your router is programmed to always assign the same IP to it, so it basically has a static IP address.

Comment

• bhaagensen
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by slydog75
        He means setting up your DHCP server (generally your router) to always assign the same IP address to a certain device (ie. your reciever) based on it's MAC address. So the reciever still pulls it's IP address from your router but your router is programmed to always assign the same IP to it, so it basically has a static IP address.
        I see. If that is not an option for you, then AFAIK there is no really proper way of doing it yet. However you go with the following slightly ugly fix which I'm using. Just temporarily disable dhcp on your router, reset the SBC/Receiver and start over with setup from scratch. Since there is no dhcp server on the network you will now be promted to enter static data. Make sure everything works, and re-enable dhcp on your router. This works since the SBC/Receiver will no longer query the dhcp server for connection data as soon as you have it set up as static. Just somehow make sure that you don't get ip-collisions. Usually you should be able to specify the range from which your router assigns ip's. Then use some ip not in that range for you static ip's.

Anyway, works like a charm for me.
        Last edited by bhaagensen; 2008-08-05, 01:57. Reason: Added short explanation.

Comment

• nidfix
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bhaagensen
          I see. If that is not an option for you, then AFAIK there is no really proper way of doing it yet. However you go with the following slightly ugly fix which I'm using. Just temporarily disable dhcp on your router, reset the SBC/Receiver and start over with setup from scratch. Since there is no dhcp server on the network you will now be promted to enter static data. Make sure everything works, and re-enable dhcp on your router. This works since the SBC/Receiver will no longer query the dhcp server for connection data as soon as you have it set up as static. Just somehow make sure that you don't get ip-collisions. Usually you should be able to specify the range from which your router assigns ip's. Then use some ip not in that range for you static ip's.

Anyway, works like a charm for me.
          In fact my issue is that I do not have a DHCP server in that set-up.
          I used to assign to each component a static IP address. The issue is that I never saw any option during the configuration of the receiver from the controller to do that. So I am not prompted to manually set and IP address.
          The only solution I found is to let it fail to have a DHCP address. At the end it self assigns some IP address in 169.254/16 network range. As a consequence, if I want it to see the SqueezeCenter, I have to ensure that this server is also in 169.254/16 range.
          That is the reason why I am looking for a way to tell to the receiver which IP settings it has to use.

Comment

• Themis
            • Dec 2007

This looks like a bug to me.
            Duet's User's Guide states the following:

How do I use Static IP addresses with Squeezebox Duet?
            If you have set up your network to use static IP addresses, your Squeezebox
            Controller will display the message Address Problem – There was a problem
            obtaining a DHCP address on your network. Scroll down to Use a static
            address and press the center button. On the following screens you can
            enter the IP address, subnet mask, gateway address, and DNS server address
            information for your network.
            Apparently, in your case, this doesn't work. So, either it's a bug or the Guide is outdated...
            SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Comment

• nidfix
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Themis
              This looks like a bug to me.
              Duet's User's Guide states the following:

Apparently, in your case, this doesn't work. So, either it's a bug or the Guide is outdated...
              I read that and I was hoping to see that message on the controller...

For me too it looks like a bug, but i would like to be sure before bothering support because I don't know how to use the device.

Comment

• Mnyb
                • Feb 2006

You can hack it

I did this with the Net-UDAP tool aviable here

My Receiver refused to see my SqueezeCenter during setup so i fixed that and while at it assigned fixed ip's just like my SB3.

It was the same for me no problems to assign fixed ip for controller but no go with the Receiver, btw i have no dhcp server either.

Cheers
                /Mikael

PS there was talk about building an official tool for handling the Receivers network settings etc, without using the controller, but it looks like that idea have been scrapped.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                Bedroom/Office: Boom
                Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• bhaagensen
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nidfix
                  at least never in ad-hoc mode.
                  I didn't notice that comment at first. Are you using the Receiver as a wireless bridge for the Controller? In that case I'm not sure how it works. But you might want to have a look at the manual configuration tool created by one of the users on these forums:

Ah, Mnyb beat me to it. I've never used it anyway, so his advice is probably more reliable than mine in this case.

Comment

• nidfix
                    • Jul 2008

Thank you both !
                    I will give a try.
                    However that tends to confirm that there is actually no option to do it in the default setup

Comment

• nidfix
                      • Jul 2008

I eventually gave a try to that tool.
                      It helped me to set up a static IP address on the receiver which was able to connect to the squeezeCenter. However I did not realize that in ad-hoc mode that it would not help the controller to get itself an IP address in the network range I wanted to use.
                      For sure I could try to cheat a bit the system by trying to connect to squeezebox network. But in that case I do not know the keyword automatically generated by the receiver for its own wireless network.
                      Something I will investigate later (reset of the wireless receiver network)...

Comment

Working...