PDA

View Full Version : Multi Zone Advice

yoyoma
2008-08-03, 14:10
I plan on having multiple squeezebox receivers in a central media closet, as well as in ceiling speakers in various rooms. I plan on controlling everything using a couple of Ipod touches, and would like different music played at the same time, and sometimes have the music syncronized.

In order for this to work, I imagine I need to connect the speaker wires to a multi-channel amplifier like the Niles Audio SI-1230. Is this correct, or is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-03, 14:46
I've got several of these http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-Amp-100-2-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6 and LOVE them. For the price, they've got great specs and audio loop-thru for feeding one signal to multiple amplifers, as well as auto-sensing power-up.

GREAT BARGAIN!!

yoyoma
2008-08-03, 19:16
That price point is great. So I can get two of these, four squeezebox receivers and then can listen in four different rooms simultaneously listening to different music?

Eric Seaberg
2008-08-03, 19:26
No, they are STEREO AMPS, meaning you'd have to purchase 4 of them if you want 4 zones with different music.

Also, make sure that the ceiling speakers you purchase are 8-ohms, in case you want to double-up with two-sets on one amp. The amp is capable of driving loads as low as 4-ohms (two sets of speakers/one set per output terminals). The outdoor speakers I purchased are 4-ohms, meaning that to run to my second patio space, I had to purchase another amp.

yoyoma
2008-08-03, 19:36
Oh, so is there one amp or receiver that plays four zones with different music? I thought a multi-channel amp would allow that but I guess that's not correct. Thanks for the advice about 8-ohms speakers. I also have two patio spaces that I'm looking for outdoor speakers. Thanks.

yoyoma
2008-08-03, 23:03
Looks like I need something like the Niles ZR-4630, which is a 4 source, 6 room receiver. It allows 3 external sources, so I guess I could use 3 squeezebox receivers with it. I just wish there were something cheaper than $2000 as I don't need all that functionality like the ability to work with keypads as I'm going to be controlling everything from the squeezebox web interface.

funkstar
2008-08-04, 00:13
OK, I don't understand why you are looking for multi zone amps when you are going to have multiple recievers.

Buy one reciever per room. Buy one amp per room. Wire them to the speakers.

This way you can have every room playing different material or sync them all or selectively together to play the same material.

$2000 will buy you 8 recievers and 8 amps.

This is the whole point of the SlimDevices approach to music playback.

yoyoma
2008-08-04, 00:30
The speakers are in the ceiling or in the patio areas so they all go back to a central media closet. This is why there will be no receivers in each room. So instead of having separate receivers in the same location (the closet), I thought it would be more efficient to have a multi-source (mutli-channel) receiver/amp. I think this would work great with slim receivers and a web interface using Ipod touches.

funkstar
2008-08-04, 03:01
I can see what you are doing, but given the high cost of multi zone amps, having individual Recievers and amps would probably be cheaper and a lot more flexable.

G-dude
2008-08-04, 05:34
The speakers are in the ceiling or in the patio areas so they all go back to a central media closet. This is why there will be no receivers in each room. So instead of having separate receivers in the same location (the closet), I thought it would be more efficient to have a multi-source (mutli-channel) receiver/amp. I think this would work great with slim receivers and a web interface using Ipod touches.

I agree with Funkstar...the whole point is to get away from hard wiring your house with a bunch of (soon to be out-dated) stuff.

I am adding Squeezeboxes around my house and am going cheap for place where it doesn't need to be first class...like I just bought a clock radio with a aux input for my bedroom and I plan to get a little iPod dock with aux input for another spot.

Its cheap and easy and then you can use the controller to decide whether to play the same music in all locations or different music in each....

yoyoma
2008-08-04, 08:15
I agree with Funkstar...the whole point is to get away from hard wiring your house with a bunch of (soon to be out-dated) stuff.

It's not the hardware which is going to be outdated anytime soon, it's the software. That's why the Squeezebox is so great as the user interface, software and firmaware can always be updated.

But if individual receivers are cheaper than a multi receiver, and I have plenty of space in my closet, then I suppose I should just get individual receivers to simplify things. Thanks for letting me know.

ScAndal
2008-08-04, 11:46
I'm doing exactly what you are looking to do.

I purchased a 12 channel amp for $600 and I'm able to have 6 zones of music playing different things.

It's a lot easier having one 12 channel amp than stacking 12 of those posted earlier in this thread.

My amp also has 'auto-sensing' power so it only turns on the amps when they are being used.

ScAndal

yoyoma
2008-08-04, 13:50
I purchased a 12 channel amp for $600 and I'm able to have 6 zones of music playing different things.

OK, now I'm confused. I thought a 12 channel amp will not allow different things being played back at the same time unless it allows for different sources. So, how many sources, or inputs does your 12 channel amp have? Which one do you have? Thanks.

ScAndal
2008-08-04, 14:09
OK, now I'm confused. I thought a 12 channel amp will not allow different things being played back at the same time unless it allows for different sources. So, how many sources, or inputs does your 12 channel amp have? Which one do you have? Thanks.

http://www.htd.com/12-Channel-Amplifier

yoyoma
2008-08-04, 14:33
OK, now that's what I'm looking for, thanks!

Kyle
2008-08-04, 18:20
I have a six-room, 4-source system from Russound. If you can run Cat-5 cable to each room, you can have an individual control in each room to choose volume, source, etc. Check this link: http://www.russound.com/caa.htm.

yoyoma
2008-08-04, 19:10
Couldn't I just control everything via Ipod touch? It just seems easier, cheaper, and more robust to do it that way rather than with in-wall keypads.

funkstar
2008-08-05, 01:18
http://www.htd.com/12-Channel-Amplifier
Thats actually a pretty cool amp. Lets you have two sets of speakers for each zone.

Definitely better than having 6 of those linked previously. Any "multi zone" amps i've seen before have always tried to be too clever, wanting to take control over the audio as well. This one is just an array of amps in one case.

It's way more than I will need for a long, loooong time, but good to know they exist for when I have a large pad to fill be Squeeze hardware :)

GotX
2008-08-05, 09:52
Kyle,

I am looking into using the Russound system. I have a couple of questions.

* Slimp 3 would be connected as a source. There are IR keypads back to Slimp. How do you manage going through the menu [Play Genre X for example] without seeing it?

* Were there any unique design issues that you had to overcome?

* Did you have any places where you had more then 2 speakers per zone? IF so how did you handle that?

* What componets did you use from Russound?

* Any other advice points specific to a Russound implementation.

Thanks