PDA

View Full Version : No Plugins menu

iceblinker
2008-08-03, 03:13
After upgrading from SlimServer to SqueezeCenter 7.1, I have no "Plugins" in my Squeezebox's Home Menu (or SqueezeCenter's Inactive menu items). Same with SC 7.2.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I have reset the hardware and software, and tried uninstalling SC and installing again. But still no Plugins :-(

I understand that not all the plugins that I used to have will work with the new servers, but I at least expect to have Song Scanner!

Any help would be much appreciated.

bonze
2008-08-03, 03:36
Not sure if 'Plugins' still exists on the SB.
Is the plugin you are looking for not listed in 'Extras' ?

Also, have you checked that the plugin is listed as working on the SqueezeCenter Settings page?

iceblinker
2008-08-03, 03:53
There are many plugins that are listed as working on the Settings page that do not appear in Extras.

Can anyone who has upgraded to SC 7.1 tell me how to use Song Scanner, for example, on the Squeezebox?

Thanks.

Philip Meyer
2008-08-03, 05:16
It's likely that you have plugins that were released with a maxVersion check, preventing them from running in 7.1.

Plugin authors set the version that they knew the plugin would work with, guessing on the side of caution that future versions of SC would be incompatible.

You'll need to download new versions written for 7.1, if they exist.

Plugins that worked for 7.0.1 will generally run fine though, so you can edit the install.xml file in each plugin folder to change the maxVersion property. Look for maxVersion, and change the value to "*" for each of your plugins.

>Can anyone who has upgraded to SC 7.1 tell me how to use Song Scanner,
>for example, on the Squeezebox?
>
You don't need that one any more; it's been implemented as core SqueezeCenter functionality, unfortunately replacing the old FWD/REW functionality, rather than complimenting it.

Phil

iceblinker
2008-08-03, 05:37
Thanks Phil. That all helps a lot.

I'm glad the Song Scanner has been fully incorporated as I much prefer it to the old standard FF/REW.

Philip Meyer
2008-08-03, 06:00
>I'm glad the Song Scanner has been fully incorporated as I much prefer
>it to the old standard FF/REW.
It's nice and pretty, but impractical for my usage. If I don't know the position I want to play music from, I can't easily find that position.

iceblinker
2008-08-03, 06:24
The original method may have been more precise, but I found it a pain for normal casual use. Song Scanner is so much quicker and easier to use for this. The graphics help you estimate how far into the track you are. I use it for long radio podcasts as well as short music tracks.

Philip Meyer
2008-08-03, 07:01
>The original method may have been more precise...
>Song Scanner is so much quicker and easier to
>use for this. The graphics help you estimate how far into the track you
>are. I use it for long radio podcasts as well as short music tracks.

The new method allows you to set playback to a fairly-specific position, but you need to know what that specific position is.
That's all very well if you know that your favourite bit of a song is at 3:34 and you want to jump close to that position.

However, I hardly ever want to jump to a known position in a song - I generally play whole tracks.

The only time I want to scan forwards is when I'm listening to long podcasts of new music. If a song comes on within that long podcast that I want to skip, I want to fast-forward with audio feedback until I detect a change in the music. If all I have to go on is a proportional bar, all I have to go on is guess work. Because I don't know the music, I don't know how long it is, or where the tempo changes are, etc. Even worse, I listen to some quiz podcasts, where the questions are at the front, and answers at the end. Sometimes I find myself wanting to skip forwards and backwards, but not too far or I may reveal the answers before I'm ready.

The graphics do not help me estimate how far into the track I am, nor more to the point help predict how far into the future I need to seek to find the gap between songs.

Don't get me wrong, the scanner has been implemented well, and it serves its purpose well. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover my needs, and I have generally resorted to listening to such podcasts on an iPod, that does implement both ways of scanning and seeking (albiet not as well as SC used to). I think it's a bit techy - working like computer software products rather than other typical consumer products - PVRs, etc.

Phil

iceblinker
2008-08-03, 08:12
I know what you mean about audio feedback sometimes being useful during forwarding or rewinding, and I agree that a facility should have been retained for that.

Guesswork is usually good enough for me, though, and I appreciate the ability to forward or rewind very quickly and easily indeed.

Perhaps my years of experience with tape cassette decks left me good at guessing how far I'm likely to need to wind to get to roughly where I want! ("Roughly" being OK for casual listening). Pressing Play at the same as Fast Forward wore the tape and head, so I got used to NOT hearing what I was doing.

Philip Meyer
2008-08-03, 09:12
>Perhaps my years of experience with tape cassette decks left me good at
>guessing how far I'm likely to need to wind to get to roughly where I
>want! ("Roughly" being OK for casual listening). Pressing Play at the
>same as Fast Forward wore the tape and head, so I got used to NOT
>hearing what I was doing.
>
I was going to say that - even tape decks/video recorders could do both (although admittedly, scanning was often a fixed multiplier rate).

Phil