PDA

View Full Version : controlling classic SB with duet controller (ethernet)

philipchild
2008-08-03, 03:08
Hi,
I have owned an ethernet model (ie not wireless) squeezebox 3 (classic) for a while now and am very happy with it, now wish to buy squeezebox duet for another room. The slim devices site says that the duet's controller is compatible with the squeezebox classic. Does this mean that I would be able to use the duet controller to select music to play on my classic box even though the classic is not wireless capable?

Thanks,

Philip

Mnyb
2008-08-03, 05:12
"Yes" as the controler talks to the server (SqueezeCenter ), and its actually the server that runs the players, it will even control softsqueeze.

By "Yes" i mean that you got to have wireless reception where your SB3 are either from your router or acess point, or possible from the Reciever included in the duet package they can work in so called adhoc mode where the controller gets to the local net and your SqueezeCenter via the Recievers wireless.

The obvious problem will be, if you dont have an wireless router/ap.
Will the Controller reach your SBR in the "other room" from where the SB3 is ?

I would recommend a good wireless router, thats how i'm doing it I have one SB3 and one duet, working perfectly.

philipchild
2008-08-03, 13:52
Thanks for the reply, you've picked up on what I expected to be the problem - I don't have a wireless router as I have shunned wireless in favor of a more reliable Ethernet cable network. But I can just use my infrared remote with my SB3 anyway, it would have just been nice if there was a way to get use the fancy new duet remote with the old SB3.

cliveb
2008-08-04, 05:33
Thanks for the reply, you've picked up on what I expected to be the problem - I don't have a wireless router as I have shunned wireless in favor of a more reliable Ethernet cable network. But I can just use my infrared remote with my SB3 anyway, it would have just been nice if there was a way to get use the fancy new duet remote with the old SB3.
There's no escaping the fact that the SB Controller is a WiFi device. To use it, you *must* have some sort of wireless access point. The SB Receiver can behave as one when you set the Duet system up in Bridged Mode. Once that's done, you'll be able control all the wired and wireless players in the network. Whether the wireless range of the Receiver is up to the task within your house is impossible to say - you'd have to try it and see. If it doesn't do the job, you'll have to either (i) give up on the idea of using the Controller, or (ii) get a decent wireless access point or router.