PDA

View Full Version : Last.fm Question with new SC 7.1

TurnipFarmer
2008-07-31, 07:49
After having installed SC 7.1, it has now made it alot easier to use Last.fm through your SB however I have a quick question.

When I click on Last.fm on my SB and it requests to you to enter an artists name, I do so but then are given choices of play similar artists and something else, is there anyway to play the artists music of the artist that you have typed in if that makes any sence??

TurnipFarmer
2008-08-01, 04:37
anyone know?

Siduhe
2008-08-01, 04:47
Similar artist radio will give you music by that artist and similar artists, but there isn't a way to play music just by that artist. The reason is that the terms of Last.fm's licence prevent users from selecting specific tracks or artists (except as previews), or choosing the order in which music is played. As I understand it, the licence is for web radio broadcasting, rather than on-demand streaming.

mattybain
2008-08-01, 04:53
After having installed SC 7.1, it has now made it alot easier to use Last.fm through your SB however I have a quick question.

When I click on Last.fm on my SB and it requests to you to enter an artists name, I do so but then are given choices of play similar artists and something else, is there anyway to play the artists music of the artist that you have typed in if that makes any sence??

Do you mean if you type in REM it will only play you REM's music? if that's what you mean then no you can't do that on LastFM. That would be considered too much of an on-demand service and their licence doesn't cover that.

kh6idf
2008-08-01, 05:25
What you want is available with Rhapsody. I activated my 30 day free trial from my SB3 menu (while connected to Squeezenetwork i.e. computer was off) a few days ago. No signup or account creation necessary, it just starts working and you can access any music you want and play it now! Also you can play it as many times as you want and skip as much as you want. It feels great after using last.fm, etc :-)

Plus they have just upgraded to 192kb/s from 128. I notice the additional high frequency detail although in some respects I still prefer the 128kb/s sound from Pandora sometimes - depends on the recording.

I'm debating whether the $12.99 Rhapsody subscription is worth it over the $3 Pandora subscription I have now (I'm keeping that regardless), but I also realized last night that's the cost of buying 1 CD per month! But in my remaining 27 days of the trial I will have plenty of time to make up my mind. I really appreciate being given full access for 30 days, it's an offer you should take advantage of if you haven't already.

Siduhe
2008-08-01, 05:39
What you want is available with Rhapsody.

But only if you're in the US. Hence why so many of us persevere with Last.fm...

TurnipFarmer
2008-08-01, 13:04
cheers guys, thanks for clearing that up.

Im in the UK so Rhapsody is no good.