PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter 7.01 Not Running on Mac OS10.5.4. Please Help!

stockholmbeijing
2008-07-30, 20:14
Please, please help. I tried contacting the official support channels but after spending two weeks going back and forth via email they still couldn't help me. They suggested posted something on the forum.

I am running Mac OS 10.5.4 on a MacBook Pro. I have installed Squeececenter 7.01 but it will not start!

I try to start Squeezecenter and it looks as if it is starting, the "start server" is momentarily replaced with "stop server" but after a few seconds it reverts to"start server".

- I have tried several clean installations.

- In the Firewall settings, I have set access for specific services and applications to include "perl". (per Logitech's supports suggestion)

- I have no VPN applications running

Please help as I am at m wits' end and don't know what to do.

Thanks

raaurora
2008-07-30, 20:24
Please, please help. I tried contacting the official support channels but after spending two weeks going back and forth via email they still couldn't help me. They suggested posted something on the forum.

I am running Mac OS 10.5.4 on a MacBook Pro. I have installed Squeececenter 7.01 but it will not start!

I try to start Squeezecenter and it looks as if it is starting, the "start server" is momentarily replaced with "stop server" but after a few seconds it reverts to"start server".

- I have tried several clean installations.

- In the Firewall settings, I have set access for specific services and applications to include "perl". (per Logitech's supports suggestion)

- I have no VPN applications running

Please help as I am at m wits' end and don't know what to do.

Thanks

As a test, did you try completely disabling the firewall? If it still won't start you can at least rule that out. There are firewall configuration settings posted on the support site - I assume the tech had you put those exceptions in your firewall. I know there are a handful of exceptions posted, more than just 1 for perl. Still, I would try turning it off entirely (as a test) just to be sure if you haven't already.

Also, since it is a Mac, I guess that means no AV software, correct? If there is AV SW you need to establish exceptions for mysql. When stuff like this flat doesn't work I always suspect AV and firewalls.

Unfortunately, I don't own a Mac, so I can't help much beyond that.

good luck.

Eric Seaberg
2008-07-30, 21:04
It should boot up and go. I've been running on an Intel MINI for almost two-years. Give us some more info.

Try DL'ing the latest 7.1 and install that. Also, install it for ALL USERS entering your admin ID/Password when asked for it. My system was setup as a single user and I've never had problems, but this would make SURE it works for you.

After installing, repair permissions and restart the Mac.

Let us know....

stockholmbeijing
2008-07-30, 21:44
First of all thank you for all your help. To answer your questions and to provide some additional information:

- I have no AV or Firewall applications running

- I completely disabled the Firewall (set it to "Allow All Incoming Connections" but that did not change anything.

- I used the following reccomendation with regards to Firewall and Mac OS 10.5:

"Macintosh OS X 10.5 (Leopard):
Open System Preferences > Security and click “Firewall”
Click “Set Access for specific services and applications”
Click “Show All” at the top to view all your preferences, and then click SqueezeCenter.
If your server is currently running, click “Stop Server”.
Next, click “Start Server”.
You will get a series of confirmations from your firewall asking if you want to allow access. Click “Allow” for each. (the dialogs will refer to “perl” and “mDNSResponderPosix”.)"

- I "Allowed" Perl but never received a request for “mDNSResponderPosix”

- I removed other accounts on the MacBook so I am the only user

- I cleaned installed SC 7.1

- I repaired disc permissions and rebooted

Unfortunately, I still have the problem. Squeezecenter looks as if it is starting but then suddenly stops.

Can the fact that I never received a request in the Firewall application to allow “mDNSResponderPosix” be the reason?

Thanks

danco
2008-07-31, 01:12
First of all thank you for all your help. To answer your questions and to provide some add
- I removed other accounts on the MacBook so I am the only user

Though many people do this, and it is Apple's default, it isn't a good idea. It is always safer to have one admin user and one standard user, and to run as a standard user for the most part. It requires additional steps when doing certain things, but it provides a useful safety net against mistakes (and viruses and trojans, when they start appearing). I can give details of how to do this if you want.

You did not say if your installation of SqueezeCenter was completely new, or if you had the older SlimServer running previously. There have been certain situations when one needed to delete the cache when upgrading.

igroucho
2008-07-31, 08:10
what ya mean with "clean install"?

chrisinparis
2008-07-31, 08:55
This FAQ tells you how to do a clean install of SqueezeCenter:

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8380

morberg
2008-08-01, 00:11
I'm on OS X 10.5.4 and have been running 7.0 successfully for some time. Today I upgraded to 7.1 and got it up and running smoothly. I did notice some problems with the iPeng skin so I figured I'd do a completely clean install.

After this clean install I notice the same problem as OP and can't start SqueezeCenter.

morberg
2008-08-01, 00:22
I'm on OS X 10.5.4 and have been running 7.0 successfully for some time. Today I upgraded to 7.1 and got it up and running smoothly. I did notice some problems with the iPeng skin so I figured I'd do a completely clean install.

After this clean install I notice the same problem as OP and can't start SqueezeCenter.
After rebooting OS X I got SqueezeCenter up and running.

afterhours
2008-08-12, 12:42
I have the same issue. Installed clean on a system (10.5.4 on a PPC G4/450 with 1.5Gb RAM). Rebooted computer, click on the start server button in the System Preference, there is a many second pause, then the button reverts from Stop Server back to Start Server.

Console error message is as follows:

===== Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:14:13 PM US/Eastern =====
compactLen is 12, n is 2, and strlen(added_f) is 0!!!
ERROR: Cannot find server.prefs file
Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 73, <DATA> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/Prefs.pm line 275.
mkdir /Users/cubic/Music: File exists at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/Prefs.pm line 614

(always post error messages if you can)

Will try to remove and reinstall. Not a great way to impress the newbies.

afterhours
2008-08-12, 12:58
===== Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:53:33 PM US/Eastern =====
2008-08-12 15:53:38.220 SqueezeCenter Installer[14518] LSCopyItemInfoForURL() returned -43 for path /Users/cubic/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane.
2008-08-12 15:53:38.220 SqueezeCenter Installer[14518] LSCopyItemInfoForURL() returned -43 for path /Users/cubic/Developer/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane.
2008-08-12 15:53:38.221 SqueezeCenter Installer[14518] LSCopyItemInfoForURL() returned -43 for path /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane.
2008-08-12 15:53:38.221 SqueezeCenter Installer[14518] LSCopyItemInfoForURL() returned -43 for path /Developer/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane.
Aug 12 15:53:44 Cubic authexec: executing /Volumes/SqueezeCenter 7.1/SqueezeCenter Installer.app/Contents/Resources/install.sh

The above is the console log from a clean fresh install.

Attempting to launch, squeezecenter again does little. Start button turns to stop for a few seconds, then reverts. At no time does the WebAccess button become active. Logs are as follows:

Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/File/Spec/Unix.pm line 73, <DATA> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/Prefs.pm line 275.
mkdir /Users/cubic/Music: File exists at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/Prefs.pm line 614

Seems this might be a little fubar'd out of the gate. Repaired permissions.