PDA

View Full Version : help I'm stuck

redbroo
2008-07-29, 12:57
i'm trying to get my squeezebox 2 to work though i'm new to networking. I read the instructions provided & they 'seem' to imply that if i plug a crossover ethernet cable from my ethernet port to my squeezebox it should work. I have done this & squeezecentre can't find the box. i must admit to a level of confusion also as to where i find all the relevant IP addresses, ssid numbers etc please help i've been at this for hours & i've tried tech support & have heard nothing. It's sat uselessly in it's box : )

Phil Leigh
2008-07-29, 13:20
are you running XP?
if so, start - run ... type cmd and hit enter
then type ipconfig/all and report back what it sas on the screen

MrSinatra
2008-07-29, 13:50
1. don't you have a router or switch or hub or something?
2. have you tried a regular ethernet cable?

redbroo
2008-07-29, 13:50
do you need all the info on the screen it's got the ip's subnet etc

redbroo
2008-07-29, 14:08
sorry chaps been trying to reply but my connection kept failing for some reason . Seems ok now. I've run ipconfig stuff & found ips etc

Milhouse
2008-07-29, 14:09
sorry chaps been trying to reply but my connection kept failing for some reason . Seems ok now. I've run ipconfig stuff & found ips etc

Not just you - I think the forum died for a few minutes.

Phil Leigh
2008-07-29, 14:35
do you need all the info on the screen it's got the ip's subnet etc

yes - post everything...

redbroo
2008-07-29, 15:26
sorry again not been able to post details, here they are anyway

primary dns suffix :
node type : hybrid
ip routing enabled : no
wins proxy enabled : no

ethernet adapter local Area connection 2 :
con spec dns suffix :
Description : Realtek RTL8139 family pci fast ethernet

rnet NIC
physical address : 00-05-5D-D3-4B-DB
Dhcp Enabled :Yes
Autoconfig Enabled : yes
IP Address : 82.37.30.241
subnet mask : 255.255.248.0
Default gateway : 82.37.24.1
DHCP Server : 62.31.176.116
DNS servers :62.31.176.39

Phil Leigh
2008-07-29, 23:00
how are you connected to the Internet? Have you got a router or a USB modem?
What operating system are you using?

Do you have other machines or just the laptop?

cliveb
2008-07-30, 01:10
sorry again not been able to post details, here they are anyway

primary dns suffix :
node type : hybrid
ip routing enabled : no
wins proxy enabled : no

ethernet adapter local Area connection 2 :
con spec dns suffix :
Description : Realtek RTL8139 family pci fast ethernet

rnet NIC
physical address : 00-05-5D-D3-4B-DB
Dhcp Enabled :Yes
Autoconfig Enabled : yes
IP Address : 82.37.30.241
subnet mask : 255.255.248.0
Default gateway : 82.37.24.1
DHCP Server : 62.31.176.116
DNS servers :62.31.176.39
If that's the full output from ipconfig /all, then it appears you have just one ethernet port (and no wireless port) in your PC. The fact that the ethernet is described as "local area connection 2" is a little strange - are you sure you've not missed anything out from the ipconfig /all output? For example, was there a bit that said something like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State.... Media disconnected

Anyway, your ethernet port's IP configuration shows that you're connected to Virgin Media (ex-Blue Yonder) cable broadband (in Wolverhampton I think), and it was set up automatically via DHCP.

Now, if your ethernet port is connected to your cable modem, and you genuinely only have the one port, how did you connect the Squeezebox2 via a crossover cable? If you unplugged the cable modem in order to connect the Squeezebox, then the IP address assigned to the PC would have disappeared and your networking would stop working.

It strikes me that you have two options:

1. If you don't want to buy any new hardware, then when you want to use the Squeezebox you'll have to:
a). unplug the cable modem.
b). connect the Squeezebox
c). manually reconfigure your ethernet port and Squeezebox to use static addressing, setting up a private subnet.

2. Buy a cable router with a built-in switch (nearly all inexpensive routers have a 4-port switch), plug the cable modem into the router's WAN port and the PC and Squeezebox into two of the router's LAN ports.

Since you say you're new to networking, my guess is that option 1 is not really feasible. Apart from anything else you'd be disconnected from the Internet while using the Squeezebox (so no Internet radio, for example).

redbroo
2008-07-30, 11:16
I've accidently missed a couple of numbers off the DNS servers part but that's about it. I had plugged into a 2nd ethernet port on my pc but that appears to now be redundant... which is i feel maybe quite important, cheers matey : )

cliveb
2008-07-30, 12:07
I've accidently missed a couple of numbers off the DNS servers part but that's about it. I had plugged into a 2nd ethernet port on my pc but that appears to now be redundant... which is i feel maybe quite important, cheers matey : )
Assuming you're on Windows, run Control Panel -> Network Connections. Under "LAN or High Speed Internet" if any of the devices listed has a status of "disabled", right-click it and enable it.

Once all your network devices are enabled (they don't need to be connected - a status of "not connected" is fine), run ipconfig /all once more, and make sure you post the COMPLETE output so we can tell unambiguously what networking devices you have and from that give your some informed advice.

(Hint: to copy the output from a command window, click the icon in the top left and choose Edit -> Mark from the pop-up menu. Then you can "rubber band" the text using the mouse, and after that invoke Edit -> Copy from the pop-up menu to put the text in the clipboard).