PDA

View Full Version : Beware of 7.1 "upgrade"

audiogene
2008-07-29, 08:07
Installing 7.1 over a 7.0.1 which was running without *major* problems led to a complete oblivion of all artwork icons in list modes! During the migration of the database files all artwork files in the artwork cache were erased. There is no way to get the artwork back - neither by a rescan, nor by physically deleting all cache files and doing a fresh scan.

Grrrrr...
audiogene

NB: Some technical details: I am speaking about a Windows version on a Windows Server 2003. Music library is on 1TB local disk array being accessed through a directory containing 3 symbolic links to the data file systems. Music library contains ~3.000 discs, ~40.000 songs

mherger
2008-07-29, 08:25
> As some already pointed out the new "official" release 7.1 of the SC
> looks like a half-baked snapshot probably released under management
> pressure (or is it plain ignorance?). Following the current discussions
> on the beta board there are so many open issues with this version branch
> and it is hardly imaginable that they all have been solved over night.

Hu? What's that? We went through the open bug list, fixed what needed be fixed. What issues do you see which are not addressed? Please give us the bug numbers, so we can take a look. Thanks!

--

Michael

moley6knipe
2008-07-29, 08:26
During the migration of the database files all artwork files in the artwork cache were erased. There is no way to get the artwork back - neither by a rescan, nor by physically deleting all cache files and doing a fresh scan.

Well, there must be. How did SC find the art in the first place?

audiogene
2008-07-29, 08:34
Well, there must be. How did SC find the art in the first place?

As I pointed out I upgraded from a 7.0.1 SC. The 7.0.1 had found and cached all the artwork - which 7.1 erased.

CatBus
2008-07-29, 08:39
As I pointed out I upgraded from a 7.0.1 SC. The 7.0.1 had found and cached all the artwork - which 7.1 erased.

Unable to repro here. Need more details to figure out why your upgrade experience seems to be different than everyone else's. The fact that 7.1 seems to be unable to find your artwork is probably a clue...how's that set up on your server?

moley6knipe
2008-07-29, 08:46
Well, all I can say is with a 15k ALAC library with embedded jpegs it didn't lose my artwork cache when I did the same upgrade. If it's missing artwork it'll just build the artwork cache again when you do a rescan, surely?

Phil Leigh
2008-07-29, 08:49
It can't have "erased" artwork...temporarily not having it in its cache is rather different.
I would expect a full clear/rescan to fix this. IS the real problem that you are having scanner issues?

audiogene
2008-07-29, 09:38
It can't have "erased" artwork...temporarily not having it in its cache is rather different.
I would expect a full clear/rescan to fix this. IS the real problem that you are having scanner issues?

In 7.0.1 all artwork found during initital scan had been written to the "Artwork" subfolder in the "Cache" folder. Artwork not present there would not display in list modes. 7.1 erased all files except from two entries for the system placeholder files for missing cover art. Consequently no artwork is displayed in list modes under 7.1.

When playing a single album its cover art would be displayed and inserted into the cache.

A rescan (even a full/clear rescan) does not help - as I already pointed out.

This behaviour is well known with the developers and there are discussions about weighing of importance in the bugs board (with regard to the grafics oriented user interface of the Duet).

I should add that my music collection is made of single flacs with a corresponding cue file plus a file "cover.jpg (700x700px) in a hierarchical directory structure, - so, absolutely straightforward, no embedded art.

drive:
\genre_1
\artist_1
\album_1
CDImage.flac
CDImage.cue
cover.jpg
\album_n
\artist_n
\genre_n

Regarding "scanner issues": This is the content of the scanner.log
(I should add that SC runs under an administrator account and there are NO r/w-restrictions on the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory):

me.audio_size, me.audio_offset, me.year, me.secs, me.cover, me.vbr_scale, me.bitrate, me.samplerate, me.samplesize, me.channels, me.block_alignment, me.endian, me.bpm, me.tagversion, me.drm, me.musicmagic_mixable, me.musicbrainz_id, me.lossless, me.lyrics, me.replay_gain, me.replay_peak, contributorTracks.role, contributorTracks.contributor, contributorTracks.track FROM tracks me LEFT JOIN contributor_track contributorTracks ON ( contributorTracks.track = me.id ) WHERE ( ( ( contributorTracks.role = ? ) AND ( me.album = ? ) ) ) ORDER BY contributorTracks.track': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_928_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) at C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.
[08-07-29 16:33:23.0190] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (70) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (C:/PROGRA~1/SQUEEZ~1/server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 70)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 773)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 826)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_select (C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 79)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::next (C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 701)
frame 5: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::next (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 1376)
frame 6: Slim::Schema::mergeVariousArtistsAlbums (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Music/Import.pm line 370)
frame 7: Slim::Music::Import::runScanPostProcessing (scanner.pl line 225)
frame 8: main::__ANON__ (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 584)
frame 9: (eval) (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 572)
frame 10: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (scanner.pl line 225)
frame 11: (eval) (scanner.pl line 225)
frame 12: main::main (scanner.pl line 353)

[08-07-29 16:33:23.0640] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (236) Error: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT me.id, me.url, me.content_type, me.title, me.titlesort, me.titlesearch, me.album, me.tracknum, me.timestamp, me.filesize, me.disc, me.remote, me.audio, me.audio_size, me.audio_offset, me.year, me.secs, me.cover, me.vbr_scale, me.bitrate, me.samplerate, me.samplesize, me.channels, me.block_alignment, me.endian, me.bpm, me.tagversion, me.drm, me.musicmagic_mixable, me.musicbrainz_id, me.lossless, me.lyrics, me.replay_gain, me.replay_peak, contributorTracks.role, contributorTracks.contributor, contributorTracks.track FROM tracks me LEFT JOIN contributor_track contributorTracks ON ( contributorTracks.track = me.id ) WHERE ( ( ( contributorTracks.role = ? ) AND ( me.album = ? ) ) ) ORDER BY contributorTracks.track': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_928_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) at C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.
[08-07-29 16:33:23.0645] Slim::Schema::throw_exception (236) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>Slim/Schema.pm line 236)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\scanner.exe>DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 606)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (scanner.pl line 225)
frame 3: (eval) (scanner.pl line 225)
frame 4: main::main (scanner.pl line 353)

MrSinatra
2008-07-29, 10:00
some months back, i went from 7.0 to 7.1

when i did, this did not happen to me.

i would suspect, this is not happening to a lot of people.

so the question is, why is it happening to you? is there something specific about your setup that would cause this?

secondly... would it be possible to simply uninstall everything fully, and start over with a clean install? would that fix the issue?

Phil Leigh
2008-07-29, 10:09
Indeed it didn't happen to me either and I'm now on 7.2...

Anyway, as I said it hasn't erased your artwork (ie your many cover.jpg files), simply deleted them from the cache - which it should in a full rescan - and for some reason hasn't replaced them. My guess is that something is messing up the scanning process at the crucial point when the artwork cache is populated...

kdf
2008-07-29, 10:12
contributorTracks.track': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_928_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) at C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

Anti-virus! This is the give away debug message. Your anti-virus software is getting in the way of Mysql. Set it to ignore *.MYI and *.MYD files. If you had an application exception, that may have gotten turned off during the upgrade.
-kdf

BramWithaar
2008-07-29, 10:13
this line "DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_928_0.MYI'"
states that squeecenter can't write the temporary mysql files.
I had this error also when my albumart didn't show. Diabling the virusscanner and then starting the full scan solved it.

lanierb
2008-07-29, 10:25
And once you have it fixed please update the thread title to resolved.

MrSinatra
2008-07-29, 11:54
also, let us know what AV did this, and if you could set an exception to it successfully.

audiogene
2008-07-29, 13:00
Anti-virus! This is the give away debug message. Your anti-virus software is getting in the way of Mysql. Set it to ignore *.MYI and *.MYD files. If you had an application exception, that may have gotten turned off during the upgrade.
-kdf

OMG, that was it! While I had noticed the problem in the log I did not come to this conclusion... But, I think, kdf is a hard core developer who exactly knows where to trust the code and where not ;). I must admit, I did not trust at all (after having experienced similar problems through the previous versions).

AV scanner is McAfee ViruScan Enterprise 8.5.0i, btw. After adding two exception rules for the on-access scanner (don't scan files with *.MYD or *.MYI) everything went fine.

Thank you very much for your aid!

audiogene

NB: Since it can only be a temporary cure to exclude certain file extensions from the on-access anti virus scan engine I have opened a case with the antivirus company.

radish
2008-07-29, 13:05
Those MYI errors look like the ones generated when you have a badly behaved antivirus stomping ok mysql. What av do you run? Is it set to ignore *.MYI files?

aubuti
2008-07-29, 13:15
OMG, that was it! While I had noticed the problem in the log I did not come to this conclusion... But, I think, kdf is a hard core developer who exactly knows where to trust the code and where not ;)
Smileys aside, you don't have to be a hard core developer to show a little humility and at least consider that the problems you are experiencing are *your* problems, rather than going on a rant about the ignorance and shoddy work of Logitech/Slim and those who contribute freely to the development of SC (especially when hundreds of beta testers are not experiencing the problems).

As some already pointed out the new "official" release 7.1 of the SC looks like a half-baked snapshot probably released under management pressure (or is it plain ignorance?). Following the current discussions on the beta board there are so many open issues with this version branch and it is hardly imaginable that they all have been solved over night.

The converse is true. Installing 7.1 over a 7.0.1 which was running without *major* problems led to a complete oblivion of all artwork icons in list modes! During the migration of the database files all artwork files in the artwork cache were erased. There is no way to get the artwork back - neither by a rescan, nor by physically deleting all cache files and doing a fresh scan.

This time I am really upset, - relevant bug reports in the 7.1 branch have been being discussed for weeks but nobody did take them seriously! Do you guys have any quality assurance plan? Or is the internal spaghetti logic of the SC software inscrutable even for the gurus meanwhile? Yes, there is no comprehensible control structure in the code, side effects generating side effects, etc etc. Isn't it high time for a redesign?

audiogene
2008-07-30, 04:44
Smileys aside, you don't have to be a hard core developer to show a little humility and at least consider that the problems you are experiencing are *your* problems, rather than going on a rant about the ignorance and shoddy work of Logitech/Slim and those who contribute freely to the development of SC (especially when hundreds of beta testers are not experiencing the problems).

As you might have noted I have stripped down my original posting before your posting was published, - maybe there was an overlap.

Speaking about "humility" I do not agree with you but on the other hand I do not either feel comfortable with freak outs! This time I made a mistake since I have been researching into problems with the scanning process for quite some time, so it did not occur to me to look somewhere else, let alone the virus scanner.