PDA

View Full Version : My Portable Squeezebox SB3!

jimwillsher
2008-07-27, 23:47
Hi all,

I have three SB3 players in the house, all hooked up to amps and speakers. I don't have any other music sources, and no CDs cluttering up the place. But as is always the case in life, things are never where you want them to be - and that includes music! I miss listening to music in the bath, in the garden, in the study - and I can't afford to place an SB3 in every room.

Enter...the portable SB3! I've long since wanted Slim (Logitech) to produce a portable SB3. After all, why have a wireless player that needs to be anchored to an amp and speakers? Why not have wireless that is truly portable.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1378/slimcl7.th.jpg (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slimcl7.jpg)

A truly portable music system, based on an SB3 and a couple of AudioEngine A2 speakers.

Music everywhere, even in the garden :-)

Jim

funkstar
2008-07-28, 01:57
truly portable.... except for power :)

I like it though. A very low tech way of modding your high tech player :)

jimwillsher
2008-07-28, 02:00
Yeah, the power is the flaw in the master plan.....though I do have a mains socket in the garden :-)

Some MDF and a tin of black gloss, and all the cables are concealed. Low tech, but portable.

Jim

ralphpnj
2008-07-28, 02:08
Hi all,

I have three SB3 players in the house, all hooked up to amps and speakers. I don't have any other music sources, and no CDs cluttering up the place. But as is always the case in life, things are never where you want them to be - and that includes music! I miss listening to music in the bath, in the garden, in the study - and I can't afford to place an SB3 in every room.

Enter...the portable SB3! I've long since wanted Slim (Logitech) to produce a portable SB3. After all, why have a wireless player that needs to be anchored to an amp and speakers? Why not have wireless that is truly portable.

A truly portable music system, based on an SB3 and a couple of AudioEngine A2 speakers.

Music everywhere, even in the garden :-)

Jim

Jim,

Nice job! You are completely correct in that Logitech and Slim Devices are not doing enough to get the SqueezeBox available in other formats, such as within portable devices or built into a audio-video receiver. This is just one of the many areas where the iPod and all the related add on devices are truly kicking Logitech's butt.

signor_rossi
2008-07-28, 23:41
Low tech yes, but also very efficient! :)

Nice work!

Bye, signorRossi.

BTW, how are the A2s held in place?

Sike
2008-08-12, 01:38
Nice Squeezebox Boom Beta

jimwillsher
2008-08-12, 01:40
BTW, how are the A2s held in place?

There's a thin strip of wood around the sides and the back, and that's enough. If you tipped it to 45 degrees they would probably fall out - so I won't do that :-)

Jim

bartverwaaijen
2008-08-26, 14:50
hi, I'm new here.

This is my truly portable squeezbox based system. The only thing that is hooked up to the house is the router.

Greetz Bart

swhite58
2008-08-26, 20:22
hi, I'm new here.

This is my truly portable squeezbox based system. The only thing that is hooked up to the house is the router.

Greetz Bart

Welcome Bart!

Interesting. Could you please explain the setup?

Shane

funkstar
2008-08-27, 00:42
Interesting. Could you please explain the setup?
Haahaa, nice one Bart, love it!

I'm guessing here, but i think the Sany handheld is runing SqueezeCenter with his library on an external USB drive. The box behind that is providing power to the Reciever, speakers are also battery powered.

I'm not sure how practical that would be, but it is a very clever little setup there. I'm impressed :)

bartverwaaijen
2008-08-27, 03:17
Correct Funkstar. And no it's not practical but I just thought I could make it truly portable. Normally my squeezebox is hooked up to my stereo-set

the sny VAIO is indeed running squeezecenter with my libary on the external drive. The powerstation is feeding the receiver that sends the signal to both of the Tivoli PAL's wich are actually portable radio's (+\- 10 hours of play time on the internal accu) with a aux-in.

funkstar
2008-08-27, 03:32
I've just noticed you have two seperate Tivoli radios, one for each channel.

This has really made me smile :)

bartverwaaijen
2008-08-27, 08:33
Actually I don't own both of them. The bleu one is my parentís kitchen radio and the yellow one is my own.

But it's a quite nice setup fore some background music at a garden party.

bartverwaaijen
2008-08-30, 11:13
Ok I have to recall myself. This setup is very practical. And that sound!!! So sweet. Try to beat that BOOM

stigerj
2008-08-30, 14:04
hi, I'm new here.

Greetz Bart

Nice set up! Need to add a battery operated wifi router and cellular 'modem' to the setup. Like this. =)

Phil Leigh
2008-09-05, 07:58
The sound from the Boom will easily exceed your Tivoli setup. I have a Tivoli like yours and I have compared the two. Your setup will have much superior l/r separation...but that's it(ignoring battery power which I know is big issue for some folks). I used to use a setup similar to yours outside. In every other respect the Boom is comfortably better sounding!...and a lot cheaper too.