PDA

View Full Version : Browsing music folder: SB3 doesn't show tracks in some dirs

pipetman
2008-07-26, 12:28
I've started ripping my CD collection to flac a while ago and have gathered a fair amount of files by now. I have them all neatly organized in folders, so I select my music on the SB via browsing the music folder (and not via tags, as album, artist etc).

Much to my dismay, I have noticed, that in many cases the SB doesn't display tracks within a directory. Usually, by pressing the right arrow on the SB remote, I can move down the directory tree and finally end up at the track level. In the cases above, I get stuck at the parent directory level and instead of tracks, the SB displays "TITLE: (and then the directory title)". I have checked the path length and it is always below 255 characters (so that shouldn't be an issue). What's causing this? How can I fix this?

Thanks. - p

Phil Leigh
2008-07-26, 23:32
I've started ripping my CD collection to flac a while ago and have gathered a fair amount of files by now. I have them all neatly organized in folders, so I select my music on the SB via browsing the music folder (and not via tags, as album, artist etc).

Much to my dismay, I have noticed, that in many cases the SB doesn't display tracks within a directory. Usually, by pressing the right arrow on the SB remote, I can move down the directory tree and finally end up at the track level. In the cases above, I get stuck at the parent directory level and instead of tracks, the SB displays "TITLE: (and then the directory title)". I have checked the path length and it is always below 255 characters (so that shouldn't be an issue). What's causing this? How can I fix this?

Thanks. - p

can you explain what exactly (with an example) your directory structures look like?

Also, you are using FLAC...how are you doing the ripping? The ripper will normally insert tags and when/if SC rescans it will pick up those tags...

Even if you use the "Browse Music Folder" method of navigating, it's a good idea to make sure your tags are correct, since the act of browsing inserts entries into the SC database if they aren't already there and the tags are used at that point too IIRC.

pipetman
2008-07-27, 09:20
Thanks for the reply.

I'm ripping with dbPoweramp and while not being too religous about it, I pay attention to proper (meaning: consistent) tagging. However, I haven't run an update of the SC database in quite a while (since I'm browsing by folders only, anyway) - maybe that's the culprit (I'm running an update of the db right now)?

My general directory structure looks like this:

\\(mySAN)\public\music\lossless (flac)\genre\composer\album\tracks.flac

To give an example:

\\Terastation\Public\Music\Lossless (flac)\Classical\Bach, Johann Sebastian\Goldberg Variations - Murray Perahia\16-Variatio 15 a 1 Clav. Canone alla Quinta in moto contrario.flac

pipetman
2008-07-27, 10:33
I just finished re-scanning my music library and that seemed to fix the problem.

Somewhat strange and counterintuitive (plus counterproductive), that a folder browse function is affected by the db.

Nonetheless, thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

Phil Leigh
2008-07-28, 09:47
I just finished re-scanning my music library and that seemed to fix the problem.

Somewhat strange and counterintuitive (plus counterproductive), that a folder browse function is affected by the db.

Nonetheless, thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

:o) - well to me it is extremely counterintuitive that the mere act of browsing or not browsing a folder determines whether or not the files in the folder end up in the database - but I guess I'm in a minority of 1 (and I do understand why this was done - as a quick way of playing new music)