PDA

View Full Version : Is SlimServer SqueezeCenter

metropole
2008-07-26, 07:25
Hi,

I didn't have the need to update my software for a while. I got a new PC and instead of installing the old SlimServer I was wondering if there is a newer version? However, I found only SqueezeCenter. Is this the same? If so does it also include firmware updates?

amcluesent
2008-07-26, 07:30
SqueezeCenter was the name given to the V7.x release of the server and all the firmware updates it contains.

metropole
2008-07-26, 07:36
Cool. Is there a some plugin that allows met to laod mp3's directly into my iPod?

MrSinatra
2008-07-26, 07:38
afaik, SC doesn't do that. but then again i don't use itunes or an ipod.

why not just use itunes and integrate it with SC?

metropole
2008-07-26, 08:17
I don't use (online) iITunes. I'm not very impressed with iTunes as a "media player/center" and I would like to avoid having many software packages arround.

Brian Ritchie
2008-07-26, 16:20
I don't use (online) iITunes. I'm not very impressed with iTunes as a "media player/center" and I would like to avoid having many software packages arround.

Me neither, to the point where I bought a copy of Anapod (I was a very happy Notmad user, for my Zen) rather than be forced to use iTunes. But I found I still needed iTunes for certain things (can't remember what now), and using both led to lots of problems; so now I just use iTunes. I don't use it to manage my PC library (which is mostly FLAC anyway); I *only* use it to transfer (transcoded mp3) files to my iPod, and to manage playlists on it. (I have sync disabled on my iPod, as I don't really want a (direct) copy of its contents on my hard drive. Well, the full picture's more complicated, but you don't need to hear about that...)

I think that MediaMonkey can be used to transfer files to iPods; but last time I looked it didn't offer anything extra that made me want to switch to it (though I do use it for other things).

-- Brian

MrSinatra
2008-07-26, 16:22
i am pretty sure winamp can xfer to ipod, but not sure how.

metropole
2008-07-26, 16:27
I would be Ok to use iTunes to transfer only.
I'm somewhat afraid that iTunes messes with my music library if I share the path of my music library with iTunes. How can I treat the library read only for iTunes?

Brian Ritchie
2008-07-29, 17:25
I would be Ok to use iTunes to transfer only.
I'm somewhat afraid that iTunes messes with my music library if I share the path of my music library with iTunes. How can I treat the library read only for iTunes?

(Another brick in the firewall, perhaps? :-) )

I must admit I don't know the (or an) answer to this. Despite my best attempts to prevent it (e.g. keeping my library out of "My Music" and not changing any paths in iTunes), it still ran its grubby little fingers over my files, at least to discover them. It didn't discover the FLAC files, of course.

One of the things I hate about iTunes is that I can't see anything in the preferences to stop it from modifying your files, and there are loads of ways to accidentally "ask" it do this: SoundCheck, calculate gapless playback, find artwork (with absolutely no control over what it finds), and heavens knows what else.

Turning on SoundCheck in iTunes caused mayhem for a while, as it seemed to add ITUNNORM tags to all the files that it could, and the version of SlimServer that I had at the time then combined this with the "proper" ReplayGain data! IIRC this resulted in very, very quiet tracks. (This was nothing compared to what it did on my iPod.) I think my eventual solution was to use mp3tag to remove every single ITUNNORM tag from the files in my library!

Despite all of this, plenty more people seem happy to have iTunes and SqueezeCenter coexisting, even as far as sharing playlists. I suspect this is only worthwhile if your library is in formats that iTunes understands.

(One of my biggest headaches is in reproducing iPod playlists on the PC and vice-versa. If I come up with a good playlist on the PC, it seems impossible to copy it to the iPod without duplicating at least some of the content (which is a b*gger to recover from on the iPod - two or more apparently identical files, where one copy is in some playlists, and the other is other playlists...))

At some point, I managed to empty my iTunes library of all the contents of my streamed music library. Since then, all has been well.

I ignore the (PC) library that I see in iTunes. I have iTunes set not to "manage my music for me" (heaven forbid!) or to keep its own copy of my music library. My iPod is definitely set not to sync (and I dread the day that some iTunes update turns sync on by default; I still rue the time when I tried to copy a playlist onto the iPod by syncing with it - 5,000 tracks wiped, in an instant, without any "are you sure you want to do this?" warning). To add new music to my iPod, I open a Windows explorer on the files and drag them directly onto the iPod icon in iTunes; so I never actually import them into iTunes itself (at least, not explicitly). I generate mp3s for the iPod into a dedicated folder, and delete them after they're transferred.

-- Brian