PDA

View Full Version : Last.fm. Why do they allow Logitech to use their service with no ads?

ModelCitizen
2008-07-25, 14:12
I'm perplexed about the Last.fm revenue model when it comes to hardware players like the Logitech stuff.

If you use Last.fm via their web site you get stomping great animated adds directed at you.

If you use Last.fm on your Logitech devices there are no ads and, as Last.fm publish their api freely on their web site and appear to invite third parties to hook into it without asking anything in return, no apparent way for them to gain any revenue.

It can be seen that very few people become paid subscribers (maybe because the advantages of this are minimal) so how does the service work?

Are we to expect streamed audio ads inbetween the music soon?

Personally I can't see any other way the service can make a profit. It worries me as I can't listen to music with ads and I love Last.fm......
..... but maybe, as I'm a paid subscriber already I'll avoid the ads....

<Ding: Lightbulb moment> I think that might be it!

Any thoughts welcome.

MC

autopilot
2008-07-25, 14:59
Last.FM started out as a small British firm, but i remember when they where bought out by a large US firm there was talk of audio advert breaks. But i think a lot of their revenue comes from buying music through the recommendation system.

BigTony
2008-07-25, 15:05
I have a last.fm account, i've set up the plugin and everything works ok, except i can't listen! There is no last.fm icon for me to connect to. Did i miss something?

SC7, SB3, Windows XP

BT

autopilot
2008-07-25, 15:21
I have a last.fm account, i've set up the plugin and everything works ok, except i can't listen! There is no last.fm icon for me to connect to. Did i miss something?

SC7, SB3, Windows XP

BT

Which plgin? The official one or the Third party one? Officially, Last.FM Radio is not available through SC7, but it is through Squeezenetwork. It will available through 7.1, which is due soon.

snarlydwarf
2008-07-25, 15:32
Last.FM started out as a small British firm, but i remember when they where bought out by a large US firm there was talk of audio advert breaks. But i think a lot of their revenue comes from buying music through the recommendation system.

Very large US firm: Last.fm is now owned by CBS.

Siduhe
2008-07-25, 15:38
IIRC, the only ads you see are on the website (if you're not a subscriber). As snarly says, there was talk of audio ad breaks but hasn't come to anything yet. Perhaps it explains why there's a lot of focus on the web player in the new version of the site, rather than the standalone player.

Subsriber status used to give you priority on the servers, but that hasn't really been an issue since CBS brought Last.fm [and/or they upgraded the servers at around the same time as CBS brought Last.fm]. For a while though, it was pretty essential!

BigTony
2008-07-26, 01:46
ok, i'll try SqueezeNetwork and see if I can find it there. It can be handy for background listening, especially when cooking. And every now and then something interesting pops up. Still wish Pandora was working in the UK :-(

BT

Paul Webster
2008-07-26, 02:02
A long while ago last.fm was going to introduce a mechanism that limited the number of times that you could listen to a particular tune (3) ... unless you were a paying subscriber.
I signed up for notification of when it will start but haven't ha dthe email yet.
http://www.last.fm/subscribe

(Coming soon ...

…Unlimited Listening Subscription

We’re publicly beta testing our new free listening service. You can listen to most tracks up to three times for free.

When the beta is over, we’ll offer a subscription package with unlimited access to a catalogue of music built on partnerships with Universal Music Group, Sony BMG, Warner, EMI and over 150,000 independent labels and artists.

We will continue to offer our existing Basic Subscription.
)

CardinalFang
2008-07-26, 03:11

You need to connect to SqueezeNetwork and then it appears in the music services.