PDA

View Full Version : Duet eccentricities: Firmware update and configuration. Why??

ModelCitizen
2008-07-25, 03:56
I know there must be good reason for what seems to me to be oddities/eccentricities in the SqueezeBox Duet system. If anyone know whats they are I'd appreciate any enlightenment offered.

1) Why is it not possible to action a player firmware update from the Squeezebox Controller (SBC) and instead have to find a remote to do it?

2) Why can't a Squeezebox Receiver (SBR) be configured for a non-wireless connection without having to resort to a third party (i.e. non-Logitech) script (SBR Configuration tool)?

Thanks

MC

peter
2008-07-25, 05:15
ModelCitizen wrote:
> I know there must be good reason for what seems to me to be
> oddities/eccentricities in the SqueezeBox Duet system. If anyone know
> whats they are I'd appreciate any enlightenment offered.
>
> 1) Why is it not possible to action a player firmware update from the
> Squeezebox Controller (SBC) and instead have to find a remote to do
> it?
>

You mean an SB3 update? The SBR updates itself AFAIK.
Also there is an IR remote under the SBC factory test menu.
For configuring or updating the SB3's you need the supplied IR.

> 2) Why can't a Squeezebox Receiver (SBR) be configured for a
> non-wireless connection without having to resort to a third party (i.e.
> non-Logitech) script (SBR Configuration tool)?
>

It can be configured with the controller. I used it that way when the
script wasn't even available.

Regards,
Peter

ModelCitizen
2008-07-25, 06:01
Ah, thanks Peter. I think the penny has dropped now.

The third party SBR Configuration tool is aimed at users who have a Reciever (SBR) but not a Controller (SBC).

I'm interested to know if there is any physical limitation that makes it impossible for an SBC to action an SB3/Transporter firmware update over a wireless network (i.e. without resorting to IR and emmulation). If so, what is it?

MC

snarlydwarf
2008-07-25, 09:12
Ah, thanks Peter. I think the penny has dropped now.

The third party SBR Configuration tool is aimed at users who have a Reciever (SBR) but not a Controller (SBC).

I'm interested to know if there is any physical limitation that makes it impossible for an SBC to action an SB3/Transporter firmware update over a wireless network (i.e. without resorting to IR and emmulation). If so, what is it?

MC

Solution: tell your SB3/etc to update automatically. I believe this is under the setup menu (hold down left arrow to get there.)

I figured that:
a) I am lazy
b) The SB3 wont do much when it wants new firmware, other than tell you it wants new firmware. So not like you can delay it.
c) I am lazy.
d) Did I mention I am lazy?

Then you don't need any remote to update the SB3/etc.

mvalera
2008-07-25, 10:41
Here's how to configure your Squeezebox Classic or earlier and Tranporters to auto upgrade their firmware:

Hit the back arrow button on your remote and hold it till you see "Squeezebox Setup"

Scroll up or down to "Current settings" and then hit the right arrow

Scroll down to "Auto upgrade" and change it to "On"

Back out and now it will update on it's own just like Squeezebox Receiver

jh901
2008-07-25, 13:36
Back out and now it will update on it's own just like Squeezebox Receiver
[/list]

So, I have 2 Receivers (1 controller) and they will auto-update?

When do these updates happen and what do they do? Will I notice enhancements?

mvalera
2008-07-25, 13:45
Receiver updates come with SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork updates.

Most of the time you will not notice any changes. Changes are detailed in the changelog at the top under "Firmware updates":

http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.0/tags/7.0.1/server/Changelog7.html

Squeezebox Receiver always auto update, Squeezebox Controller will prompt you to begin the update.

Mike

ModelCitizen
2008-07-25, 13:56
Squeezebox Receiver always auto update, Squeezebox Controller will prompt you to begin the update.
Tbis begs the question: If it is seen fit that the SBC updates automatically why not the SB3?

MC

radish
2008-07-25, 18:00
Tbis begs the question: If it is seen fit that the SBC updates automatically why not the SB3?

MC

The SB3 can be set to autoupdate, but it's not the default. For SBR it makes more sense to be the default as there's no screen :)

ModelCitizen
2008-07-25, 21:20
b) The SB3 wont do much when it wants new firmware, other than tell you it wants new firmware. So not like you can delay it.
So it might as well be automatic, screen or not?

MC

snarlydwarf
2008-07-25, 21:37

MC

Probably: I used to like it on Manual.. I am paranoid and don't like software autoinstalling. But I got tired of running around the house and holding Brightness when I upgraded SC...

So I switched mine and now I don't notice when SC upgrades change firmware. Much nicer.

mvalera
2008-07-26, 15:24

MC

I actually agree with you.

I'm going to file an enhancement request next week around firmware updates...

Jim C and I were talking about it and what we'd like to see is that on first setup of SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork that you choose globally or by device for autoupgrade or promt to upgrade.

Mike