PDA

View Full Version : Which Random Mix do you use most often?

JJZolx
2008-07-23, 12:47
For those who use Random Mix, which type of mix do you use most often?

mherger
2008-07-23, 13:05
> For those who use Random Mix, which type of mix do you use most often?

Hehe.... Album.

Michael

JJZolx
2008-07-23, 13:17
For me, random songs. For background listening this mixes it up quite a bit. The real control is in the genre selection.

I have very little use for random artists. No sense in queueing up all 20 Van Morrison albums or even the 3 Megadeth. That's _way_ more Megadeth than I can take in one sitting and it would take too much skipping to make listening like this useful.

Random albums is better, but for casual background listening I'd seldom want to listen to whole albums. If I'm going to listen to 45-60 minutes of a single album then I'd just as soon pick one out myself. Again, it would take a lot of skipping to make this useful for me. If you could easily skip albums instead of tracks, then it would be better.

Random years can be fun, and is 2nd on my list of preferences. Unlike artists and albums, it mixes songs by different artists. The trouble with it is that it can easily hit on a year with just one or very few albums, and then you're not much better off than with the random album or artist mixes.

Skunk
2008-07-23, 20:14
I use songs, with the preference to show 30 upcoming and 3 previously played on the Controller (set in the web interface).

When I'm in random mood it's usually with rock, hard rock, folk rock etc, so with ten genres selected a lot of 'skips' end up in there. Having a large number of upcoming tracks showing lets you remove them well in advance, and makes for some interesting playlists if you just keep songs that go along with the theme, or somehow lead into the next. E.g. Ween, How High Can You Fly->Pink Floyd, Pigs On The Wing-> NIN, March Of The Pigs->The Beatles, Piggies-> Ween, Big Fat F***.

moley6knipe
2008-07-23, 23:52
Songs for me, with genre like classical, opera, choral, soundtrack excluded. My conclusion is that I own an awful lot of music that I've a) forgotten about or b) have never listened to!

Johnboy169
2008-07-24, 01:57
I always use Random Songs with the Genre Filter to filter out Christmas and radio shows etc.

I find this turns up some interesting songs and combinations of songs.

Johnboy

elziko
2008-07-24, 03:19
I use songs, with the preference to show 30 upcoming and 3 previously played on the Controller (set in the web interface).

Where abouts do you find these settings?

Skunk
2008-07-24, 05:03
Where abouts do you find these settings?

In the web interface, under Music Library|Random Mix, at the bottom of the page. If you have a Duet the Controller will show the number of tracks you have set in the web interface.

elziko
2008-07-24, 05:08
In the web interface, under Music Library|Random Mix, at the bottom of the page. If you have a Duet the Controller will show the number of tracks you have set in the web interface.

Thanks, I was looking for it in settings!

Trevor
2008-07-25, 04:59
I used to have it on random song but found it rather annoying when it plays just the intro track of a song then jumps on to something else. Also I don't like it jumping from something chilled to heavy techno etc. (I can't be bothered to set genre filters)
Now I have it on random album which is great as it forces me to listen to some albums I've hardly ever played. If I decide I don't want to hear the album its chosen I just select random album again.

topa
2008-07-26, 01:45
Random Songs.
Wouldn't it be great if you could play random songs within ONE genre too, without having to exclude all other genres in the settings? Something like "random chillout" or "random jazz" for the evening, and I dunnu, "random rock" for afternoons.

I'de love to have a few customs random settings available in the menu.

aubuti
2008-07-26, 06:44
Random Songs.
Wouldn't it be great if you could play random songs within ONE genre too, without having to exclude all other genres in the settings? Something like "random chillout" or "random jazz" for the evening, and I dunnu, "random rock" for afternoons.

I'de love to have a few customs random settings available in the menu.
If I recall correctly it used to be easy to do this with the standard Random Mix, but it doesn't seem to be there any more in SC 7.2. Anyway, it's easy to do this with Erland's Dynamic Playlist plugin, which is what I use in place of Random Mix now.

As an alternative, you could also get what you're looking for by selecting Music Library > Genres > [choose genre] > All albums and then turn on shuffle play. Shuffle play is far less efficient than random play, but it's the same idea.