PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing Audition

danniboi
2008-07-23, 08:39
This moirning I brought my squeezebox duet over to a friends house to audition at his house after weeks of bragging about how the duet was man's highest technical achievement to date. The setup process went flawlessly or so it seemed. We were able to bring it up on his wireless network after entering the WEP key, and we were able to play some tracks that I had on my laptop (I had to rip a CD to the laptop, I normally don't keep any music locally I just stream Rhapsody). When we tried to select Music Services>Rhapsody>My Library we selected a track that is supposed to be in that library and tried to play it... when this happens it gives a brief splash where the duet controller says that it is 'getting track info' after which it disappears and then nothing happens. Eventually I end up pushing the home button (bottom right of scrollwheel) until it shows the home or now playing screen where it shows the track, the time elapsed with progress bar and the album art. ODDLY enough it shows the track as "Stopped" here but I can't get any further.

I am about to jump out a window here... Any one experience this? I am have a log file from the C:>Program Files>blah blah blah log but its too big to upload here? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

CatBus
2008-07-23, 10:39
If the exact same thing behaves one way on one network and another way on another network, the problem is the second network.

Wireless seems the likeliest culprit. Do some sniffing around with NetStumbler and see what sort of interference you're running into. Or just use a cable.

kdf
2008-07-23, 10:42
There was also a recent checkin to the code where Andy noted that some
aspect of Rhapsody's service was down. Being non-us, I have zero
experience with Rhapsody (and almost every other online service through
SC) but if part of the playback is an authorisation check, that may have
been the problem. There are a lot of links in the chain when using
network media.
-kdf

MrC
2008-07-23, 11:09
This moirning I brought my squeezebox duet over to a friends house to audition at his house after weeks of bragging about how the duet was man's highest technical achievement to date.

Learn: "Under-sell, over-deliver".

iPhone
2008-07-23, 11:11
This moirning I brought my squeezebox duet over to a friends house to audition at his house after weeks of bragging about how the duet was man's highest technical achievement to date........
Thanks in advance.

Not much help but would agree that the New Wireless Network is the place to look as it worked at your home.

A quick note about auditioning any Slim Devices produces away from ones home. Take a laptop and keep everything local to ones laptop. Don't mess with other peoples networks for they are the huge unknown plus after one leaves something of theirs might not work properly and guess who they are going to call! I think it is completely OK to borrow an internet connect to show network music services but only by bringing a connection to the Duet or laptop.

I keep everything local to the Duet and run it in Ad-hoc mode so that I am not using their wireless network (most demos are SB3 or Transporter for me).

amcluesent
2008-07-23, 13:01
All software systems suffer from demo-itis.

All my application "demos" are just powerpoint showreels - the CxO 'suits' never figure it out!

danniboi
2008-07-26, 19:39
HAHAHAAA.... I also have to talk to the Cxo's from time to time and have gone with the "phantom demo" trick before. Too funny. When I say audition, I really meant to speak in audio-dork speak. It was over at my bosses place, he has silly gear (his speakers cost more than my first car) not that my system is anything to sneeze at, his makes mine look like a bookshelf system from costco. It was frustrating to finally get my duet, play with it for a few weeks and then not be able to reproduce it over at his listening room. Even more frustrating that when I brought it back to my place, I plugged it in let it connect and eveything worked great... I didn't feel too stupid.

Well, that was Friday. Saturday is here and I am hosed again. Here's what I know...

I can get to Rhapsody, I can search, I can see playlists, I can see channels...

When I try to play anything off of Rhapsody... no dice. It just sits there, actually says its getting the track info, and then it just sits there.

When I switch sources to my comuter I can play music I have downloaded, it also plays internet radio. BUT NO RHAPSODY!

I have tried everything including Factory Reset, switiching music sources, trying my neighbors wireless network.... UGH!

I have had my duet for about three weeks and when it's working its the best thing since sliced bread, and now I am addicted to it, and I'm too lazy to get off my ass to change CD's.

It looks from reading further on the forums tonight that there is some sort of problem with Rhapsody and SB, hope it gets solved soon as it is making me grumpy.

danniboi
2008-07-27, 20:00
Call off the dogs! I am back in business. It appears that there was some firmware issue or issue with the latest version of SqueezeCenter but I updated both and I am back in business. Spent all day catching up on my listening with the pooch in the listening room. Thanks all for the tips.

Look how happy this dog looks!

http://parthenontech.com/Pictures/barkley.jpg

Pale Blue Ego
2008-07-27, 20:47
Nice dog & system