PDA

View Full Version : Powerline network question.

Honva
2008-07-22, 19:42
Anyone using powerline network adapter? I have a question that no vendor mentioned.

If I plug the adapters on a UPS, will it still work? If yes, will it still work during a power outage? (i.e. the adapter getting power from the UPS).

Thanks.

bigfool1956
2008-07-23, 06:20
That's really going to depend on what type of UPS you have, and how you have it set up. For the homeplugs to keep working they must all be on a UPS, plus homeplugs are very sensitive to being blocked by cable breaks and other electronics.

For example, I have a pair I used between my router and my cable modem, and if I plug one or other of them into a simple extension lead, they completely cease to talk to each other.

Based on this my feeling is that unless you whole house is on a UPS, you are unlikely to be successful. However, it may be possible to set things up in a way that it can operate.

radish
2008-07-23, 06:45
Does the extension have a surge protector? Those tend to kill any kind of powerline data. I have one on a short (3 ft) plain extension and it works OK. I'd imagine a UPS would kill it.

Honva
2008-07-23, 08:44
Thanks for all the replies. Not able to continue working during a power outage seems to be the weakest point about Powerline network plugs. Looks like a wireless bridge or pulling another cable are my only choices. (my area on average has a power failure once a week.)

Mark Lanctot
2008-07-23, 10:04
Thanks for all the replies. Not able to continue working during a power outage seems to be the weakest point about Powerline network plugs. Looks like a wireless bridge or pulling another cable are my only choices. (my area on average has a power failure once a week.)

Umm, maybe I missed something, but how would the SB/SBR and your stereo work if it had no power? Not getting network connectivity would be inconsequential at that point.

aubuti
2008-07-23, 11:03
Do simple homeplug adapters (ie, not the ones with built-in 4 port switches) even depend on the line voltage for transmitting the signal, or are they just using the copper in the walls? If the latter, then wouldn't they work better *without* putting a UPS in the signal path? But running your SBs, hifi, router, etc. during the outage could still be an issue....

Honva
2008-07-23, 12:15
Umm, maybe I missed something, but how would the SB/SBR and your stereo work if it had no power? Not getting network connectivity would be inconsequential at that point.

All my current equipments are on UPS. Computers, servers, DVR, SB3, TV, AMP, switches, and cable modem all have backup power for at least 45min. In my area, most power failures are from a second to a few minutes only. Therefore, those powerfailure are transparent to me right now.

Was trying to put another network link to the basement and checking if those powerline adapter is an option or not. Looks like I will need to pull another cable. (don't like WiFi bridge as I try to minimize radio wave.)