PDA

View Full Version : Low volume when using Optical audio output

drumkid
2008-07-22, 18:12
Hello,

I have a Squeezebox Classic.
In the past, I was connecting it to my Sony STR-DA3100ES receiver via a Coaxial audio cable and everything was fine.
I am now using the Coaxial audio cable for a different purpose so I purchased a good quality Optical audio cable (from Monoprice.com).

To achieve the same volume with the optical output as what I used to get with the coaxial output, I need to push the volume on the Squeezebox all the way to +100 whereas it used to be on +1 or +2 before with the coaxial cable. The gain on my receiver is usually around -25db.

Is it something normal? I don't think there is anything wrong with the cable itself because once the volume on the Squeezebox is +100, I can hear music just fine. But at +50 for instance, I can barely hear anything.

Where am I supposed to plug the optical cable on my receiver?
I have 4 optical inputs on the back of the receiver:
- SA-CA/CD OPTICAL IN
- MD/DAT OPTICAL IN
- TV/SAT OPTICAL IN
- DVD OPTICAL IN (but my DVD player is already connected via DVD COAXIAL IN)
Does that make any difference where I connect the Squeezebox?

Thanks for your help!

peejay
2008-07-22, 22:12
Hello,

I have a Squeezebox Classic.
In the past, I was connecting it to my Sony STR-DA3100ES receiver via a Coaxial audio cable and everything was fine.
I am now using the Coaxial audio cable for a different purpose so I purchased a good quality Optical audio cable (from Monoprice.com).

To achieve the same volume with the optical output as what I used to get with the coaxial output, I need to push the volume on the Squeezebox all the way to +100 whereas it used to be on +1 or +2 before with the coaxial cable. The gain on my receiver is usually around -25db.

Is it something normal? I don't think there is anything wrong with the cable itself because once the volume on the Squeezebox is +100, I can hear music just fine. But at +50 for instance, I can barely hear anything.

Where am I supposed to plug the optical cable on my receiver?
I have 4 optical inputs on the back of the receiver:
- SA-CA/CD OPTICAL IN
- MD/DAT OPTICAL IN
- TV/SAT OPTICAL IN
- DVD OPTICAL IN (but my DVD player is already connected via DVD COAXIAL IN)
Does that make any difference where I connect the Squeezebox?

Thanks for your help!

It shouldn't matter which optical input you use - it makes sense to use the SA-CD/CD in for the squeezebox as that matches the purpose of music listening as opposed to TV/SAT, for example.
Generally I run the squeezebox volume at full tilt for spdif output (optical/coax) - I believe that as this volume control, at least on the digital outs, reduces the signal resolution and therefore at some point introduces distortion, this is the best option.

I believe Squeezecenter also has settings for the digital and analog volume outputs. Make sure both are set to 'fixed' and adjust you volume on the amplifier, where it generally makes more sense to do so.

Also make sure that your amp doesn't have gain settings (attenuation levels) for each input. This could be causing the apparent signal level difference you are detecting. This caught me out once....

Goodsounds
2008-07-22, 23:13
I think you'll enjoy your sounds better by leaving you SB volume nearer to 100 and using the volume control on your receiver, as suggested. If your new cable works on that basis, then play on!