PDA

View Full Version : Controller working with the Transporter

agentsmith
2008-07-21, 23:12
Just wondering if the Controller works 100% with the Transporter. I read around here somewhere that some functions may not work 100% ith the SB2/3/transporter

If they come as a kit it would be a irresistable upgrade for me. Better yet at that price it would be nice if it is included with the purchase.

This would make this a lot more competitive with other players.

cliveb
2008-07-22, 00:31
Just wondering if the Controller works 100% with the Transporter. I read around here somewhere that some functions may not work 100% ith the SB2/3/transporter.
I have a Transporter, SB2 and SB Receiver. The Controller works fine with them all.

peter
2008-07-22, 01:16
agentsmith wrote:
> Just wondering if the Controller works 100% with the Transporter. I
> read around here somewhere that some functions may not work 100% ith
> the SB2/3/transporter
>

The controller controls the server.
The server controls the Transporter/SB3/Receiver.

> If they come as a kit it would be a irresistable upgrade for me.
> Better yet at that price it would be nice if it is included with the
> purchase.
>
> This would make this a lot more competitive with other players.
>

Being expensive is the whole point of audiophile equipment isn't it?

Regards,
Peter

bhaagensen
2008-07-22, 02:32
Just wondering if the Controller works 100% with the Transporter. I read around here somewhere that some functions may not work 100% ith the SB2/3/transporter

If they come as a kit it would be a irresistable upgrade for me. Better yet at that price it would be nice if it is included with the purchase.

This would make this a lot more competitive with other players.

No it doesn't, not in the sense that if you threw away the IR-remote, you'd still be able to do exactly the same with the Controller.

-You need the ir-remote to do firmware upgrades.
-You need the ir-remote to setup networking.
-Not sure about this one, but perhaps you need the ir-remote if you are using the digital inputs.
-You need the ir-remote to navigate the TP-display. In particular plugins which are only supported on the vfd-based devices, of which there are a few, can not be utilized from the Controller.
-The ir-remote just works better for some things, i.e. seaching.
-hmmm, anything else, requires thinking..., nah don't think so.

Many, or perhaps all, of these issues can be solved by various workarounds and other nifty features. I also believe some, regarding network setup, will be taken care of in future firmware and server releases. But this leads me to respond to your other comment. In a bundle with the TP/Controller it would be strange not to conveniently be able to navigate the vfd. A bundle with the TP/Controller/IR-remote would work fine, but would, in my opinion, be a clumsy package. Sort of, we made all the stuff work, but couldn't really be bothered to polish the final user experience, so we threw in an extra device which you can use to work around the issue. Just because it ain't wrong, doesn't make it right.

B.

bpa
2008-07-22, 02:53
The Controller has an IR-remote emulator under Settings/Advanced/Factory Test and so I think most of the IR specific can be done with controller.

For firmware upgrade - you can also set Auto-Upgrade to "on" and so you do not need IR-remote.

bhaagensen
2008-07-22, 02:55
The Controller has an IR-remote emulator under Settings/Advanced/Factory Test and so I think most of the IR specific can be done with controller.

Yes, that's what I meant by "nifty" features :) Still I think it clumsy compared to the ir though...

Teus de Jong
2008-07-22, 03:07
The Controller has an ir transmitter. Although it is far away in the menu structure at the moment, you can do almost anything with the built in remote emulator. I just don't know about the firmware update with the brightness button; for some reason this seems only to work with the original remote. I tried it with my Harmony, but that did not work. Also, I didn't test the network setup.

Nevertheless, I don't think putting the Controller in the transporter package is a good idea (and almost certainly not possible for the same price). You buy a transporter for the music quality; if you want extra comfort, you can buy a Controller to work with it. (Logitech and/or resellers could of course make an attractive bundle.)

Teus

PS: too late I see.

peter
2008-07-22, 03:47
bpa wrote:
> The Controller has an IR-remote emulator under Settings/Advanced/Factory
> Test and so I think most of the IR specific can be done with
> controller.
>

It's not going to be fun entering a wpa key that way :(

Regards,
Peter

cliveb
2008-07-22, 04:00
-Not sure about this one, but perhaps you need the ir-remote if you are using the digital inputs.
Just to clarify: you don't need the IR remote to switch digital inputs.
When the Controller is connected to a Transporter, its Home menu acquires an extra item ("Digital Inputs").