PDA

View Full Version : new duet with amp/active speaker

gurgel2
2008-07-21, 07:05
The other day, when talking with some salesmen in an hifi store, i got informed that logitech has a duet successor in the store. A squeezebox duet with either an amp or some small active speakers. Has anyone heard of this?

autopilot
2008-07-21, 07:45
The other day, when talking with some salesmen in an hifi store, i got informed that logitech has a duet successor in the store. A squeezebox duet with either an amp or some small active speakers. Has anyone heard of this?

What do you mean by "in the store"? That they have some secret beta unit hidden under a desk, or do you mean "in store" as in "in development"?

Could be true, could be typical salesman BS. I would go with the later, but do accept its a possibility of such a product as its been much talked/wished for on the forums. And I would like to see and buy a Squeezebox Radio or Squezebox Boombox (a small portable rechargeable internet/streaming radio with a small colour screen, wheel and SqueezeOS like on the controller) for use in the kitchen/bathroom/garden, etc, and think it would sell extremely well. But while the salesmen might be close to the truth, but he probably does not really know it. He, just like all salesmen, just try to sound clever and 'in the know'. The salesmen who are 'in the who' are the best ones to buy from after all ;)

ModelCitizen
2008-07-21, 08:05
The other day, when talking with some salesmen in an hifi store, i got informed that logitech has a duet successor in the store.
Ummm... if you were in the store and the new product was in the store didn't you ask to look at it?

MC

Rodney_Gold
2008-07-21, 08:35
Considering Slim Devices is owned by Logitech , it would or could make sense to package it with one of their Active speaker setups like some of these?
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/&cl=za,en

gurgel2
2008-07-21, 09:58
Sorry my bad english.. with "in store" i meant in development/soon-to-hit-the-market. The salesman, in a SERIOUS hifi store, told me that a salesrep from logitech said this when visiting the store.

signor_rossi
2008-07-21, 10:37
Seems I have to hold back the money I get from the insurance company for my lightning damaged SB3 and not buy a new SB3 yet...

;) , I hope rumors are true...

Bye, signorRossi.

iPhone
2008-07-21, 11:49

The Duet just came out! There is no way there is a successor to it coming out anytime soon. I could see a Duet II in the distant Future to take the current Duet feedback into account for some product improvement.

Since Logitech bought Slim Devices and they are a larger company with more R&D money could a "New" product be on the way as the Logitech Rep supposedly told the HiFi Salesman? Maybe, but it has always been Slim Devices policy not to comment on future products and Logitech is the same way.

The whole idea behind the Duet was to reduce the price of the streaming unit and to make a mobile Controller available. Personally and in my opinion, I can think of no reason to release a new product remotely similar to the Duet (although I would love to see a Harmony 1000 {WiFi and IR) with the Transporter Knob on it as the successor to the Duet Controller). Could Logitech be working on a "New" product? I would bet that they are working on more then one just because that is what smart companies do. They find a market need and fill it. But again, I would say that nothing new from Logitech is going to be showing up at your HiFi Dealer next week! I personally think that the surface hasnít even been broken of what Network Media Players can do and what will be available in the next three years.

And just a word on possible rumors and optimism from product reps, one of the speaker manufactures that I follow has had two new model speakers coming out for two years now and nobody has even seen a prototype yet! A friend of mine was with me when the rumor started and still hasn't bought new speakers yet because he is still waiting for those rumored speakers! If a Transporter, Duet, or Squeezebox Classic fills the need you have, I am always of the opinion to get it now and have it to enjoy now. If not, wait and see what is coming down the pike. I bought two additional SB3s just 2 months before the Duet was made public. Was I mad about that, no I wasnít because I was able to have music in those additional rooms (plus it gave me an excuse to buy a Duet {for the Controller} so I could add another additional room of music).

Rodney_Gold
2008-07-22, 01:04
I can see a pretty good application if they combined a DAC, amp and the guts of a reciever in a set of actives and a sub. You would then have wireless digital to all speakers with the controller as the "head" unit. With DACS , digital X/over and active drivers one could really optimise the speakers. Add in the fact you can use digital Eq and you have a real potent system. They could market a "cheap" version and an Audiophile version with better cabinets and drivers.

gurgel2
2008-07-22, 04:56
I myself see a clear need for such a device. I mean.. most of us, atleast audiophile people, have overpowered amp/speaker setup totaly overkill for some casual radiolistening... or when it comes to internet radio - not fair to the amplification equipment. For me a integrated one-push-radio feels like what Id be using atleast 60% of the time if possible. Just an backup integrated low-effect amp/speaker for the non esoteric experiances. Its not a DUET II or a successor.. he said it was a DUET version.. DUET with speakers so to speak.

andynormancx
2008-07-22, 07:08
You would then have wireless digital to all speakers with the controller as the "head" unit.
Except they wouldn't be wireless because you'd still need to plug them into the mains and each other.

simbo
2008-07-22, 07:29
You have to wonder; why would a HiFi salesman tell a punter that a new product is coming but not here yet? Surely that doesn't help keep up repayments on the BMW 330?

gurgel2
2008-07-22, 08:07
Also... I see a benifit of beeing able to control the power of one unit for environmental/watt efficiency. Atleast my hope is that the whole thing is powered together with an option to deactivate the DUET amp+speaker when using better equipment.

gurgel2
2008-07-22, 08:10
You have to wonder; why would a HiFi salesman tell a punter that a new product is coming but not here yet? Surely that doesn't help keep up repayments on the BMW 330?

I asked him specifically about an internet radio with built-in speakers (and amp) that could be controlled over the network. As none of the Recivia based internet radios does this he told me this. He was prolly not the boss.

Espen
2008-07-22, 11:24
And I would like to see and buy a Squeezebox Radio or Squezebox Boombox (a small portable rechargeable internet/streaming radio with a small colour screen, wheel and SqueezeOS like on the controller) for use in the kitchen/bathroom/garden, etc, and think it would sell extremely well.

Yes. That is the only thing I am missing now.

gurgel2
2008-08-25, 08:24
And the answer is "Squeezebox Boom"

ThomP
2008-08-26, 00:50
I certainly wish this rumour is true! A small kitchen radio that connects to Squeezecenter would be sooo nice - I have had to connect my receiver to an iPod speaker to achieve something like that - two units to switch on/off, two power supplies, too many cables etc.

My wish for Christmas:
A single, wall-mountable (I really don't get why Logitech didn't make holes in the receiver for that!) unit with built-in power supply (I am tired of all those small external ones!), Squeezebox receiver, amp and speaker(s). Of course, it should still have "normal" audio outputs.
In other words, an active SBR! I would probably pay the price of a SB3 for this:-)
If they add a display, controls (or maybe an IR remote) to the unit (kind of an active SB3) I would probably pay the price of a Duet.
Now come on Santa (or Logitech) :-)

Paul Webster
2008-08-26, 08:36
I certainly wish this rumour is true! A small kitchen radio that connects to Squeezecenter would be sooo nice

That is what the reference to "Squeezebox Boom" was all about.
See this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=50760
and expect an official announcement any day now - presumably to co-incide with IFA in Berlin.

Brum
2008-08-26, 09:32
This is from a Norwegian webshop...

http://www.expert.no/product/product.aspx?identifier=930000063

It says "not in stock" on the page, but the price in NOK seems to be decided... (NOK 2300 is Ä290 by todays exchange rate).
Can't seem to find it in any other norwegian shops yet, but it has to be just around the corner.

Doesn't seem to be able to run on batteries, though, but rumours says it is wall-wart-powered... So a suitable NiCd-pack should be able to provide juice for a few hours, anyway... B-)

simbo
2008-08-26, 13:22
And the answer is "Squeezebox Boom"
I'd forgotten all about this post, in the excitement of the new Boom. Turns out your source was good. I have newfound respec' for hi-fi salesmen.