PDA

View Full Version : Looking to stream 24/96 lossless PCM w/o transporter

dsdreamer
2008-07-20, 09:25
I know -- champagne tastes on a beer budget. But it shouldn't be that hard.

I have a nicely working system with two SB3 boxes and a large library of flac encoded albums, but recently I have been buying music from sources that offer "studio quality" masters as one of the download options as well as standard redbook resolution (Linn records, Itrax, etc).

Since I use an external DAC from Benchmark, all I really need or want is a WiFi to SPDIF adapter that runs faster than 16-bits at 48kHz. This need not be built to audiophile/ man-cave standards, and should cost about the same as standard SB.

Consider it a feature request for SB4, if such a thing is on the drawing board :-)

Meanwhile if there are any solutions out there, even if they involve hardware from other companies, I would be interested to know about them.

--dsdreamer

Harry G
2008-07-20, 13:12
I've had similar thoughts and have wondered if the company disables 24/88 and 96 simply so 'files will buy the much more expensive product.

I believe the Benchmark has a USB input. Can't you stream higher bit rates directly using Winamp or whatever? My DACs are older designs and don't have this option.

dsdreamer
2008-07-20, 21:40
I've had similar thoughts and have wondered if the company disables 24/88 and 96 simply so 'files will buy the much more expensive product.

I believe the Benchmark has a USB input. Can't you stream higher bit rates directly using Winamp or whatever? My DACs are older designs and don't have this option.

True, but getting transparent 24/96 out of a PC is notoriously difficult, even if the USB interface supports it. The Benchmark DAC1 USB claims to be able to do this without special ASIO drivers, but I am not so sure. (My version doesn't have the USB i/f, so I can't try it.) Perhaps I should trade up? But I think USB is a lousy interface to use when trying to guarantee low-jitter for PCM audio anyway.

I was wondering if I could find a DVD player with transparent SPDIF out at 24/96 and use diskwelder bronze to burn my own DVD with 24/96 LPCM tracks on it. But finding a DVD player that is known to do this is quite hard.

Thanks for the reply!