PDA

View Full Version : My one squeezebox gripe

Kronie
2008-07-16, 12:59
O.K. So I really like the squeezebox over other wireless music devices. There are lots of plugins and different ways you can control and manipulate the system.

I cant believe though that no one has a way to open windows media player and play that playlist or album or whatever through the squeeze center/squeezebox!!

Is there nothing I can do if I want to use the squeezebox this way?

1. Open my laptop.

2. Open windows media player 11

3. Select playlist

4. play music in windows media

5. and have it stream to the squeezebox?

andynormancx
2008-07-16, 13:02
Yes there is, use the WaveInput plugin. Be aware though that it will capture all the output from your sound card, Windows error beeps et al.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

But you'd be missing out on what most of the Squeezebox system gives you.

Phil Leigh
2008-07-16, 13:05
O.K. So I really like the squeezebox over other wireless music devices. There are lots of plugins and different ways you can control and manipulate the system.

I cant believe though that no one has a way to open windows media player and play that playlist or album or whatever through the squeeze center/squeezebox!!

Is there nothing I can do if I want to use the squeezebox this way?

1. Open my laptop.

2. Open windows media player 11

3. Select playlist

4. play music in windows media

5. and have it stream to the squeezebox?
I have no idea why you would want to do this, but it can be done with a plugin...

Maybe it's just me but I find WMP the most confusing and annoying interface ever (well, nearly ever).

I'd much rather use the remote or controller to do this. Even the web gui...

andynormancx
2008-07-16, 13:06
I forgot, there will be a item 6, you'll have to select the WaveInput stream using a Favourite on the SB to start it playing.

moley6knipe
2008-07-16, 13:13
Assuming the playlists you use in WMP are also scanned by SC, can't you open a browser window on your laptop and point it to SqueezeCenter, and play the playlsit from there?

I might be missing something, haven't used WMP for years!

Kronie
2008-07-16, 13:56
I have to confess, I don't actually own the classic yet. Ill be getting one shortly. I'm just used to controlling audio from my PC. Make a playlist, hit play and let it be. I really just care about the wireless connection.

Will the squeeze center recognize a WMP Playlist? If so then thats really all I need.

aubuti
2008-07-16, 14:09
Will the squeeze center recognize a WMP Playlist? If so then thats really all I need.
If it's a standard m3u file, yes. Easiest way for you to be sure is to install SqueezeCenter on your computer and use SoftSqueeze, which is Java-based software emulator of a Squeezebox. Tell SC where to find your existing music library and playlists and try to play them through SoftSqueeze. It's an excellent no-cost try-before-you-buy approach. Note that SC does have to scan any new playlists before it can play them.

As others have said, Squeezeboxes really weren't designed to be run from WMP, so I'd encourage you to be open-minded about how you use it. If you are determined to use WMP and only WMP, you might be better off with another product, although I'm not sure what that would be.

Siduhe
2008-07-16, 14:11

Yes, provided that the path to your files which WMP sees when it makes the playlist is the same as the path that SC uses to see your files (so both see the path to your files as c:/Music/Media for example). The way it will work is:

1. Set the folder that WMP saves your playlists in as the SC playlist folder;
2. Create playlist in WMP and save;
3. Tell SC to rescan playlists only (should be a v. quick scan);
4. Navigate to Home/Music Library/Playlists in SC and play.

You can download SC and have a play with it before you decide to buy - it comes with a built in software player which emulates a Squeezebox called SoftSqueeze.

And that's before you get into some of the built in/supported playlist creation features, like MusicIP (my preferred method of creating playlists directly in SC).