PDA

View Full Version : Dont Buy!!!!! (merged to remove cross-posting)

WPBerryman39
2008-07-16, 11:44
I would recommend against anybody buying this product unless you are able to hard wire it to your router. Most of us dont want an ugly router and other wireless devices out in the open so we tuck them under shelves or in corners. And while this still gives a PC plenty of signal, apparently not enough for this product. I have my internet connection down in my basement where I have my home office, and 2 personal pc's upstairs connected wirelessly. I can take my laptop across the street and still get a fantastic connection! However, my SlimServer wont play music for more than 30 seconds before totally crapping out. Read below, but tech support is telling me to move my network, which isnt an option as my pipe comes in where the router is anyway. I would recommend against ANYONE buying this product.

Brief Summary: Terrible Quality

Discussion Thread
Response (Agustin) 07/16/2008 11:11 AM

Mr. Berryman,

I recommend moving the receiver closer to the router. Test it at the new location wireless. Does this improve your signal? I recommend updating the firmware on the router. Contact the manufacturer of the router for further assistance. You can also change the channel from within the wireless settings. This may also improve your signal. Another suggestion is to move the router to the open. Ensure its not behind any obstructions. Finally, many routers have the ability of upgrading the antenna. Again you will have to check with the manufacturer of the router.

Agustin

Customer (William Berryman) 07/16/2008 10:59 AM

connecting it to the router isnt really an option

RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/16/2008 10:39 AM

Mr. Berryman,

The signal is fluctuating to much. If you see it change 4 point in either direction constantly then this will cause you issues. Have you been able to hardwire the unit to the router?

Agustin

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/16/2008 09:15 AM

I am now in front of the device

* IP address number: 192.168.1.104
* Wireless signal strength (report the high and low numbers): 70-64
* MAC address: 00 14 a5 9d fb 32
* Firmware version: 88

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/08/2008 03:16 PM

I am not in front of the device

RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/08/2008 02:56 PM

Mr. Berryman,

This may not be an issue with the product. By hardwiring the product to the router we can test how it function with an Ethernet connection. If you do not encounter the same issues then we can focus our attention on a solution for your WiFi.

Aside from this what we can check is the version of firmware which is on your device. This can be accomplished with the following directions:

Can you tell me a few settings from one of the audio player's menus?

On the remote control, hold down the left arrow button for 5 seconds. This should bring you to "Set up networking". Then scroll down to "Current settings" and press the right arrow. From there, can you tell me:

* IP address number
* Wireless signal strength (watch this for a moment-- report the high and low numbers)
* MAC address
* Firmware version

Let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Agustin

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/08/2008 02:44 PM
N
ot an option to hard wire, and not even close to how you market and sell the product. What else?

RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/08/2008 02:20 PM

Mr. Berryman,

Thank you for contacting Logitech support. My name is Agustin and I will be happy to assist you with this matter. If you need to speak to a Customer Representative dial 1-877-887-8889 (US and Canada only) and an agent will be able to assist you over the phone.

Regarding this matter, I recommend hardwiring the unit directly to the router. Configure it to connect with Ethernet connection not a wireless one (Scroll down using remote). Now try accessing music. Are you accessing music on your computer(SqueezeCenter) or internet radio from SqueezeNetwork?

I will be waiting on your response to assist you further.

Agustin

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/07/2008 09:22 PM

I bought my slim server about 2 years ago and have used it no more than about 5 times, and even then, for about 2 minutes. The quality immediately becomes unlistenable and shut it off. Everyone who asks what "that black box is" get the reply that its a great idea, but its a total piece of crap. Needless to say, I am totally, 100%, COMPLETELY dissatisfied with your product.

Is there anything else I should try before i toss it in the trash can for good? I have great wireless connections all over my house, but as soon as I light the slimserver up, the music starts to slow down and degrade.

Please help before the trash man comes on monday!

WPBerryman39
2008-07-16, 11:45
I would recommend against anybody buying this product unless you are able to hard wire it to your router. Most of us dont want an ugly router and other wireless devices out in the open so we tuck them under shelves or in corners. And while this still gives a PC plenty of signal, apparently not enough for this product. I have my internet connection down in my basement where I have my home office, and 2 personal pc's upstairs connected wirelessly. I can take my laptop across the street and still get a fantastic connection! However, my SlimServer wont play music for more than 30 seconds before totally crapping out. Read below, but tech support is telling me to move my network, which isnt an option as my pipe comes in where the router is anyway. I would recommend against ANYONE buying this product.

Brief Summary: Terrible Quality

Discussion Thread
Response (Agustin) 07/16/2008 11:11 AM

Mr. Berryman,

I recommend moving the receiver closer to the router. Test it at the new location wireless. Does this improve your signal? I recommend updating the firmware on the router. Contact the manufacturer of the router for further assistance. You can also change the channel from within the wireless settings. This may also improve your signal. Another suggestion is to move the router to the open. Ensure its not behind any obstructions. Finally, many routers have the ability of upgrading the antenna. Again you will have to check with the manufacturer of the router.

Agustin

Customer (William Berryman) 07/16/2008 10:59 AM

connecting it to the router isnt really an option

RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/16/2008 10:39 AM

Mr. Berryman,

The signal is fluctuating to much. If you see it change 4 point in either direction constantly then this will cause you issues. Have you been able to hardwire the unit to the router?

Agustin

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/16/2008 09:15 AM

I am now in front of the device

* IP address number: 192.168.1.104
* Wireless signal strength (report the high and low numbers): 70-64
* Firmware version: 88

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/08/2008 03:16 PM

I am not in front of the device

RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/08/2008 02:56 PM

Mr. Berryman,

This may not be an issue with the product. By hardwiring the product to the router we can test how it function with an Ethernet connection. If you do not encounter the same issues then we can focus our attention on a solution for your WiFi.

Aside from this what we can check is the version of firmware which is on your device. This can be accomplished with the following directions:

Can you tell me a few settings from one of the audio player's menus?

On the remote control, hold down the left arrow button for 5 seconds. This should bring you to "Set up networking". Then scroll down to "Current settings" and press the right arrow. From there, can you tell me:

* IP address number
* Wireless signal strength (watch this for a moment-- report the high and low numbers)
* MAC address
* Firmware version

Let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Agustin

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/08/2008 02:44 PM
N
ot an option to hard wire, and not even close to how you market and sell the product. What else?

RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/08/2008 02:20 PM

Mr. Berryman,

Thank you for contacting Logitech support. My name is Agustin and I will be happy to assist you with this matter. If you need to speak to a Customer Representative dial 1-877-887-8889 (US and Canada only) and an agent will be able to assist you over the phone.

Regarding this matter, I recommend hardwiring the unit directly to the router. Configure it to connect with Ethernet connection not a wireless one (Scroll down using remote). Now try accessing music. Are you accessing music on your computer(SqueezeCenter) or internet radio from SqueezeNetwork?

I will be waiting on your response to assist you further.

Agustin

CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/07/2008 09:22 PM

I bought my slim server about 2 years ago and have used it no more than about 5 times, and even then, for about 2 minutes. The quality immediately becomes unlistenable and shut it off. Everyone who asks what "that black box is" get the reply that its a great idea, but its a total piece of crap. Needless to say, I am totally, 100%, COMPLETELY dissatisfied with your product.

Is there anything else I should try before i toss it in the trash can for good? I have great wireless connections all over my house, but as soon as I light the slimserver up, the music starts to slow down and degrade.

Mitch Harding
2008-07-16, 11:53
If you are unwilling to attempt the debug suggestions that tech
support gives you, then don't bother calling them or whining to the
list. They aren't asking you to permanently run the product in a
wired configuration, they are trying to narrow down your problem by
removing wireless issues from the equation. If you won't let them do
their job, small wonder that they weren't able to solve your problem.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:45 PM, WPBerryman39
<WPBerryman39.3cnmpb1216234202 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I would recommend against anybody buying this product unless you are
> able to hard wire it to your router. Most of us dont want an ugly
> router and other wireless devices out in the open so we tuck them under
> shelves or in corners. And while this still gives a PC plenty of
> signal, apparently not enough for this product. I have my internet
> connection down in my basement where I have my home office, and 2
> personal pc's upstairs connected wirelessly. I can take my laptop
> across the street and still get a fantastic connection! However, my
> SlimServer wont play music for more than 30 seconds before totally
> crapping out. Read below, but tech support is telling me to move my
> network, which isnt an option as my pipe comes in where the router is
> anyway. I would recommend against ANYONE buying this product.
>
>
> Brief Summary: Terrible Quality
>
> Discussion Thread
> Response (Agustin) 07/16/2008 11:11 AM
>
> Mr. Berryman,
>
> I recommend moving the receiver closer to the router. Test it at the
> new location wireless. Does this improve your signal? I recommend
> updating the firmware on the router. Contact the manufacturer of the
> router for further assistance. You can also change the channel from
> within the wireless settings. This may also improve your signal.
> Another suggestion is to move the router to the open. Ensure its not
> behind any obstructions. Finally, many routers have the ability of
> upgrading the antenna. Again you will have to check with the
> manufacturer of the router.
>
> Agustin
> ___________
>
> Customer (William Berryman) 07/16/2008 10:59 AM
>
> connecting it to the router isnt really an option
> ___________
>
> RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/16/2008 10:39 AM
>
> Mr. Berryman,
>
> The signal is fluctuating to much. If you see it change 4 point in
> either direction constantly then this will cause you issues. Have you
> been able to hardwire the unit to the router?
>
> Agustin
> ___________
>
> CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/16/2008 09:15 AM
>
> I am now in front of the device
>
> * IP address number: 192.168.1.104
> * Wireless signal strength (report the high and low numbers): 70-64
> * MAC address: 00 14 a5 9d fb 32
> * Firmware version: 88
> ___________
>
> CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/08/2008 03:16 PM
>
> I am not in front of the device
> ___________
>
> RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/08/2008 02:56 PM
>
> Mr. Berryman,
>
> This may not be an issue with the product. By hardwiring the product to
> the router we can test how it function with an Ethernet connection. If
> you do not encounter the same issues then we can focus our attention on
> a solution for your WiFi.
>
> Aside from this what we can check is the version of firmware which is
> on your device. This can be accomplished with the following
> directions:
>
> Can you tell me a few settings from one of the audio player's menus?
>
> On the remote control, hold down the left arrow button for 5 seconds.
> This should bring you to "Set up networking". Then scroll down to
> "Current settings" and press the right arrow. From there, can you tell
> me:
>
> * IP address number
> * Wireless signal strength (watch this for a moment-- report the high
> and low numbers)
> * MAC address
> * Firmware version
>
> Let me know and I'll do what I can to help.
>
> Agustin
> ___________
>
> CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/08/2008 02:44 PM
> N
> ot an option to hard wire, and not even close to how you market and
> sell the product. What else?
> ___________
>
> RESPONSE (AGUSTIN) 07/08/2008 02:20 PM
>
> Mr. Berryman,
>
> Thank you for contacting Logitech support. My name is Agustin and I
> will be happy to assist you with this matter. If you need to speak to a
> Customer Representative dial 1-877-887-8889 (US and Canada only) and an
> agent will be able to assist you over the phone.
>
> Regarding this matter, I recommend hardwiring the unit directly to the
> router. Configure it to connect with Ethernet connection not a wireless
> one (Scroll down using remote). Now try accessing music. Are you
> accessing music on your computer(SqueezeCenter) or internet radio from
> SqueezeNetwork?
>
> I will be waiting on your response to assist you further.
>
> Agustin
> ___________
>
> CUSTOMER (WILLIAM BERRYMAN) 07/07/2008 09:22 PM
>
> I bought my slim server about 2 years ago and have used it no more than
> about 5 times, and even then, for about 2 minutes. The quality
> immediately becomes unlistenable and shut it off. Everyone who asks
> what "that black box is" get the reply that its a great idea, but its a
> total piece of crap. Needless to say, I am totally, 100%, COMPLETELY
> dissatisfied with your product.
>
> Is there anything else I should try before i toss it in the trash can
> for good? I have great wireless connections all over my house, but as
> soon as I light the slimserver up, the music starts to slow down and
> degrade.
>
> Please help before the trash man comes on monday!
>
>
> --
> WPBerryman39
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> WPBerryman39's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18809
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=49911
>
>

CatBus
2008-07-16, 12:03
Weird. I've heard about people who refuse to allow tech support to solve their problems, but I've never seen such strong evidence before.

The weird thing is I think this guy actually thinks that if he hooks up an ethernet cable for troubleshooting purposes, that the ethernet cable will become permanently bonded to his device and he'll never be able to remove it again.

WPBerryman39
2008-07-16, 12:11
Guys, its clearly not the connection as I have 3 other devices connected, some twice as far away, that work fine. A 70% signal isnt good enough? Stop drinking the cool aid and read.

Phil Leigh
2008-07-16, 12:11
Will the last person that used the gene pool please replace the plug.
Thank You.

adamslim
2008-07-16, 12:19
You may actually have a faulty SB3 but you haven't worked with the tech support to ascertain whether this is the case or not. Based on the available evidence, I conclude that you are an idiot.

Phil Leigh
I thought this forum was (lightly) moderated...please stop this cross-posting buffoon, he's getting in the way of people trying to help people who want to be helped...

CavesOfTQLT
If you've had the product two years why has it taken you until now to complain? Just curious.

toby10
2008-07-16, 12:22
You will probably jump all over me, but I'll try anyway.... :)

I did not see which "product" you are having trouble with in your post, but based on CS responses it sounds like an SB3. If it's the SB3 read on. If it's the Duet then I can't help you (though I'd love to know your address so I can go through your trash can this coming monday).

If you have an SB3, is there *any* way of running a single long RJ45 (Cat5) cable to it from your router? I use a 100' RJ45/Cat5 purchased from monoprice.com (inexpensive but quality cables) from my router to my SB3. Through walls, up walls, down walls, behind baseboards, etc... Only 3 feet of this cable can be seen where it plugs into the router in my home office. If even one inch of this cable were viewable in my living room I'd have gone the WiFi route for SB3 use. Think creatively on where/how to hide the cable, if possible.

I have 85% WiFi signal in the same room as my SB3 for laptop use. But I avoid WiFi wherever/whenever possible for any/all devices as I do not know Networking/WiFi stuff. Now discussing the coefficient properties of polymer acrylic urethanes and I can talk your ear off. :) Me and WiFi? Forget it!

Anyway, just a thought. :)

tamanaco
2008-07-16, 12:24
Guys, its clearly not the connection as I have 3 other devices connected, some twice as far away, that work fine. A 70% signal isnt good enough? Stop drinking the cool aid and read.

Having 70% signal on another device is not a determining factor to solve your problem. If you're able to wire the device and NO issues are found THEN the support person will be able to concentrate on the WiFi issue. Heck, it could be that the adapter on your specific unit is busted... But the support person can NOT determine that without knowing if "OTHER" components (hardware/firmware) within your unit are failing. If you wire it and still get interrupted sound then... there is something else wrong with the unit that is not related at all with having great WiFi signal on another device.

KCJay
2008-07-16, 12:25

I have the Duet and two other SB3's - ALL connected wirelessly. My PC/Music Server is also in my basement. I did have some choppiness when I ran the Duet out to our sunroom, but fixed that with a wireless extender.

I suggest you troubleshoot with the tech's. I have nearly the same setup as you.

Mitch Harding
2008-07-16, 12:25
Oh, so it's not possible that the wireless unit on the SB3 is the
problem? How did you determine that?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:11 PM, WPBerryman39
<WPBerryman39.3cnnuz1216235701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Guys, its clearly not the connection as I have 3 other devices
> connected, some twice as far away, that work fine. A 70% signal isnt
> good enough? Stop drinking the cool aid and read.
>
>
> --
> WPBerryman39
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> WPBerryman39's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18809
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=49911
>
>

andynormancx
2008-07-16, 12:26
There is no point running long Ethernet cables just yet. We don't even know if the problem is down to wifi yet. The support tech tried to get him to connect it with Ethernet temporarily so that he could be sure it was a wifi issue, but he refused to do it.

Until he does that we have no idea of whether it is a wifi issue or not.

CatBus
2008-07-16, 12:27
I hope for this guy's sake he'll finally let someone fix his problem for him, but reading this thread makes me wince so much I'll never find out.

Phil Leigh
2008-07-16, 12:30
OK lets try again. Just because you can browse the Internet with your laptop in the street (presumably while dodging the traffic) means nothing - absolutely nothing in the context of streaming.
Unless you can be bothered to TEMPORARILY wire the SB to your router in order to debug the problem there is nothing anyone can do to help...and given the inflammatory tone of your cross-postings I'm struggling to see why they would bother anyway.

toby10
2008-07-16, 12:33
There is no point running long Ethernet cables just yet. We don't even know if the problem is down to wifi yet. The support tech tried to get him to connect it with Ethernet temporarily so that he could be sure it was a wifi issue, but he refused to do it.

Until he does that we have no idea of whether it is a wifi issue or not.

Ah, sorry, I assumed this was a new thread. I now see he has other threads going, already answered, for the same issue. My bad. :)

I suppose another "test" would be to try the SB3 via WiFi much closer to the router for an extended play time to see if that even functions properly. If it won't get a clean signal and stay connected at 6 feet it sure won't get a good signal or stay connected at 60 feet and through walls.

WPBerryman39
2008-07-16, 12:37
the unit is plugged into a stereo that is in my upstairs living room, where all of the power cables, speakers, and wiring is tightly routed behind a wall. To hard wire it to the router, I have to removes all of this, take it down to the office, and then reassemble, a fairly significant effort. So its just not a refusal to do what they are asking, its a virtual impossibility. I guess my opinion is that the company should give other options than that. If it could be the device itself, send me a new one. If it could be something else, lets try that.

tamanaco
2008-07-16, 12:50
Your request is a little out of touch with reality. No one will loan you a testing unit for a device that cost $299. Say you buy a second TV because your already have a good TV connected to cable. Buy a $500 TV from (pick your vendor) and tell them that you're not getting good reception on your TV via the rabbit ears antena of these second $500 TV. The vendor suggest that you connect it to your cable box to verify that the TV is working correctly... but you refuse because you do not want to disconnect cable from your other TV. What do you think are yours and the vendor's options? I tell you what the options will be... You either test with your cable or pay for a support person to come to your house. No free lunches.

andynormancx
2008-07-16, 12:54
the unit is plugged into a stereo that is in my upstairs living room, where all of the power cables, speakers, and wiring is tightly routed behind a wall. To hard wire it to the router, I have to removes all of this, take it down to the office, and then reassemble, a fairly significant effort.
No offence, but what a load of old nonsense.

When you rip it out to throw it in the trash, as you suggested you are planning, then that would be the perfect moment to take it downstairs and test it via Ethernet to the router.

jncraig
2008-07-16, 13:03
> Guys, its clearly not the connection as I have 3 other devices
> connected, some twice as far away, that work fine.

No, it's not clear at all. The entire purpose of asking you do
TEMPORARILY (!!) wire the connection is to determine if the problem is
with the wireless connection. It COULD be the wireless part of the
SB, and you'll never know until you have done some rudimentary
troubleshooting! Try it.

--

Joe
http://stockcentral.com

Join me August 8-10, 2008 in Charlotte, North Carolina for
InvestEd 2008 (http://www.investor-education2008.org)

toby10
2008-07-16, 13:32
the unit is plugged into a stereo that is in my upstairs living room, where all of the power cables, speakers, and wiring is tightly routed behind a wall. To hard wire it to the router, I have to removes all of this, take it down to the office, and then reassemble, a fairly significant effort. So its just not a refusal to do what they are asking, its a virtual impossibility. I guess my opinion is that the company should give other options than that. If it could be the device itself, send me a new one. If it could be something else, lets try that.

I think others are suggesting you only operate the SB3 via wired, no stereo or speakers. I'm guessing the SB3's VU meter would stop functioning once it was no longer getting an audio source.

My suggestion is to do just this via WiFi a few feet from your router.

If the VU meter is still "jumping around" after two hours of non-stop audio play (wired and/or wireless) than you have reduced the number of potential problems, now you can concentrate on the WiFi signal issues in the other room (interference, change router channel, etc...)

Another option (though quite "unelegant") if you cannot or won't temporarily move your SB3 to the router is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 250' spool of RJ45 cable (with the ends on it) and temporarily run this right through your home. Yes, right over the floors, through doorways, up the stairs, etc.. for just a few hours. After your "test" to see if you simply have a DUD SB3 that won't even function properly wired, you carefully re-spool the cable, put some Saran Wrap around the cable (this is how they package it) and return it.

But it sure seems to me that temporarily moving the SB3 to the router, wired, using only headphones and the SB3's VU meter would be a much simpler test than screwing around with 250' spools of wire. :) I'm just throwing ideas out.

andynormancx
2008-07-16, 13:34
I think others are suggesting you only operate the SB3 via wired, no stereo or speakers. I'm guessing the SB3's VU meter would stop functioning once it was no longer getting an audio source.

I would have thought plugging a pair of headphones in would be a much more reliable way of testing. If we were talking about a Squeezebox Receiver I'd have a lot more sympathy for him, not every one has a phono-headphone lead or a pair of powered speakers laying around...

toby10
2008-07-16, 13:58
I would have thought plugging a pair of headphones in would be a much more reliable way of testing. If we were talking about a Squeezebox Receiver I'd have a lot more sympathy for him, not every one has a phono-headphone lead or a pair of powered speakers laying around...

Yup. Then he could *easily* test both wired & wireless, for hours if needed, just a few feet from the router.

He might just be having interference issues and maybe his SB3 is much more sensative to this interference than are his laptops. A neighbor of mine had three laptops, all WiFi, two were rock solid but the third always had issues. I brought my laptop over, used some Dell WiFi thing-a-ma-bob program on my computer to see what signals were around his house. I found 8 networks "in range" and every single one was on the usual router mfgr's default channel six. We changed his router to channel 10 and he has never had an issue since with the troublesome laptop nor the other two laptops.

That one laptop just did not or could not deal with the "interference" from those other networks, while the other two laptops basically ignored those other signals. This is reason #67 I avoid WiFi. :)

JimC
2008-07-16, 14:07
...snip...

You might want to try following the troubleshooting steps suggested by the technician... he's trying to help you. Barring that, SB3's do sell well on eBay or at least send the product to an electronics recycling center rather than a landfill.

Also, please do not cross-post in our forums. I've merged your threads this time, but I will delete them if you cross-post again. Please note that I AM NOT CENSORING YOU--your message stands as posted--but I am asking you not to span our forums with multiple posts.

-=> Jim

amcluesent
2008-07-16, 14:37
LOL. Why are we even feeding these trolls?

IMHO, we've had a load of uber-numpties recently who deserve to be kicked and banned.

autopilot
2008-07-17, 01:27
I feel your pain. I have a similar situation. My car began playing up recently and the mechanic asked me if i could drive it to the local garage. No freaking way! what makes his crazy request double impossible is that its currently hooked up to my trailer. Crappy mechanic, he should have been able to fix it by simply sending me an email. Stupid thing is that it should work because the fuel tank is 70% full and my other car works just fine. Simply unacceptable. later on today im going to drive it into the ocean. That will teach it. Life's so unfair.

Sike
2008-07-17, 01:53
ROFL!! Nice one!

I sometimes read the "This is a piece of crap" threads, just for the comedy value. This kind of think probably makes the SD community tighter.

maggior
2008-07-17, 08:46
but as soon as I light the slimserver up, the music starts to slow down and degrade.

It sounds like you probably lit something else up too. Take a few more tokes and the slowness of the music will seem natural.

I'll personally come by and pick up your trash.

As Bugs Bunny used to say, "what a maroon!".

SilverRS8
2008-07-17, 09:16

I guess you're the master of your own destiny with your opinion.

Mitch Harding
2008-07-17, 09:23
If the office is in the same house, a 50 or 100 foot ethernet cable
should reach.

WPBerryman39;320356 Wrote:
> the unit is plugged into a stereo that is in my upstairs living room,
> where all of the power cables, speakers, and wiring is tightly routed
> behind a wall. To hard wire it to the router, I have to removes all of
> this, take it down to the office, and then reassemble, a fairly
> significant effort. So its just not a refusal to do what they are
> asking, its a virtual impossibility. I guess my opinion is that the
> company should give other options than that. If it could be the device
> itself, send me a new one. If it could be something else, lets try
> that.

Mitch G
2008-07-17, 10:11
How about trying this:

1) Load squeezecenter on one of your laptops. Be sure to emulate the same sort of setup you have on your current server on your laptop - e.g. if your music is stored on a separate server or NAS, have the laptop get the music from the same place.
2) Plug it into the router and see if the problem still occurs. It probably will.
3) Now take the router and the laptop to where the SB is and see if the problem still occurs.
4) If the problem still occurs in that configuration, hardwire the router the SB and see if the problem still occurs.
5) Once you have it debugged on the laptop, copy the same fixes to the normal server and see if that fixes the problem.

Mitch

EFP
2008-07-17, 10:51

Is that hardware address from the player or the last connected server?
The player should have 00:04:20 prefix.

ik632
2008-07-17, 12:48
I have two wireless routers. One is line-of-sight to the SB3 and the other is a few rooms away. I cannot connect to the line-of-sight router and when I do, the connection is bad and I get choppy music. When I connect to the other (and better router) I get good music quality even though my signal strength never gets over 70% (with the cheap close router I can get 90% from time to time but that's rare).

I've also done testing at another friend's house. He had a Duet which he was having issues with. We replaced some network hardware and it worked better, though not perfect. I tried the same device at my house and it worked great. You may have a lot of interference causing issues as well, you can change the wireless channel in the router config.

StigErik
2008-07-17, 14:16
I think wifi in general is a bit of a nightmare. At work we had big problems with wifi IP phones (Cisco 7920). Even if the phones just require a mere 100 kbps bandwidth we got choppy audio and lost connections. To make it work at a reasonable level we ended up with no more than 16 AP's, and that's in a 300 sq meter 3 storey building, running on three different channels to avoid overlap between AP's. We also had situations where we had no signal just 2 meters from an AP.

At home, all my Sqeezeboxen are wired. There is a reason for that!

Anoop M.
2008-07-17, 14:30
I talked to the user on the phone today and the unit works perfectly fine from the same room as the router (wirelessly). My conclusion is that he is getting allot of wireless interference. I asked him to do a test with his wireless broadcasting channels and see if one channel works better than another.

ModelCitizen
2008-07-17, 15:40
I asked him to do a test with his wireless broadcasting channels and see if one channel works better than another.
Well, I wonder if he'll do that.

MC

aubuti
2008-07-17, 15:47
Well, I wonder if he'll do that.
I'm still wondering how Anoop managed to persuade him to get the router and the SB in the same room....

Anoop M.
2008-07-17, 17:38
I'm still wondering how Anoop managed to persuade him to get the router and the SB in the same room....

To the customers credit, he already had the player down in the other room when I called him.

ModelCitizen
2008-07-18, 01:22
To the customers credit, he already had the player down in the other room when I called him.
That's good. He badly needs some credit.

MC

toby10
2008-07-18, 04:11
I talked to the user on the phone today and the unit works perfectly fine from the same room as the router (wirelessly). My conclusion is that he is getting allot of wireless interference. I asked him to do a test with his wireless broadcasting channels and see if one channel works better than another.

That's what I had suspected.....I'm guessing the SB3 WiFi card is much more sensitive to rogue signals than a more robust laptop WiFi card would be.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=320379&postcount=24

ModelCitizen
2008-07-18, 04:29
That's what I had suspected.....I'm guessing the SB3 WiFi card is much more sensitive to rogue signals than a more robust laptop WiFi card would be.
I thought it was a bog-standard laptop wifi card included with the SB3. It certainly looks like one.

MC

MelonMonkey
2008-07-18, 09:16
WPBerryman39, fight the strong fight brother. It's your right to get things fixed your way, you shouldn't have to rip apart your setup. You definitely have put enough effort into fixing someone else's problem in this case and it's time to move on.

Please contact me via PM and I will gladly take that SB3 off your hands for $100. I have a 100' Ethernet cable and portable amplifiers and speakers to test it with. Once it's up and working properly it can live a long life on my network and you can be free of this infernal headache.

jsprag
2008-07-18, 14:57
Please contact me via PM and I will gladly take that SB3 off your hands for $100.

I'd take his offer. If you can't test it then you can't really list it on e-bay as working can you? Not much good for anything other than parts, I suppose. Yes sir, $100 is a mighty generous offer for something that nearly ended up in your trash can.

p.s. - If the deal with MonkeyMan doesn't work out then let me know. I'd be willing to straight up trade your SB3 for something out of my trash can.

toby10
2008-07-20, 07:35
Are we to assume the *silence* in this thread means the OP finally got this sorted out (cuz he finally did as asked by SD support)?

Or am I to assume that all forum members within 50 miles of the OP are going through his trash?

G-dude
2008-09-12, 22:55
You know what...this is an awesome product...I too had problems when my iMac was hooked up wirelessly...but they say they recommend wiring your Squeezecenter and so....once i did it...everything worked real well.

I also opened the ports they suggested (don't know why since not necessarily communicating "outside" to play my music) but the combination of the two things (wired PC and open ports) and this baby sings.

I now have a second "classic" version I bought used and have it hooked up wirelessly and it works super perfect...2 minute install just plugged it in....kids and wife can even use it....awesome.

Just wire PC and it will be all good...