PDA

View Full Version : Any Update on Multiple Server Instanaces on Single PC

pigbite
2008-07-15, 05:39
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any update on an old subject, namely running multiple server instances on single PC. There is an old wiki item relating to making it work on Linux boxes (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RunningMultipleSlimServers) but I would like to know if there is any more recent information relating to making it happen on a PC running Windows XP.

I've had a trawl through the forums and can't find anything other than it might be a future enhancement to SqueezeCenter but am hoping someone might have some more info.

At the end of the day I need to have four SqueezeBoxes playing from 4 different libs all held on a single machine.

Hopefully someone will have some more info!

Thanks in advance,

Jez

bhaagensen
2008-07-15, 06:56
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any update on an old subject, namely running multiple server instances on single PC. There is an old wiki item relating to making it work on Linux boxes (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RunningMultipleSlimServers) but I would like to know if there is any more recent information relating to making it happen on a PC running Windows XP.

I've had a trawl through the forums and can't find anything other than it might be a future enhancement to SqueezeCenter but am hoping someone might have some more info.

At the end of the day I need to have four SqueezeBoxes playing from 4 different libs all held on a single machine.

Hopefully someone will have some more info!

Thanks in advance,

Jez

Not really helpful, but may I ask why? If the purpose is to use four different libraries, maybe erlands multi-library plugin could do the job?

B.

pigbite
2008-07-15, 07:13
Of course it's no problem to ask why - sorry, I should have made it clearer in the original posting.

I am a custom installer and I have a client with four x SB3 and one server with a single library on it (controlled via Crestron incidentally). They have been very happy with everything but now want to split the libraries into four distinct entities so that each family member can sync their iPods into their owne library via iTunes. There is a solution for managing the multiple iTunes libs on a single machine - all I need is a solution for SqueezeCenter so each SB can connect to a different library.

I was not aware of the multiple library plug-in so I will take a look at that and see what it offers.

Many thanks,

Jez

andynormancx
2008-07-15, 07:37
Have you looked at the option of using VMWare or Virtual PC to run the four instances ?

pigbite
2008-07-15, 11:11
I've not looked at the option but it could work. I've also taken a look at the multiple library plugin and I think that may full well do what I need it to. The only question I've not checked out yet is if it alters what the Crestron module may need to send the HTTP interface.

Have you any experience of using VMWare to do this btw?

Rgds

Jez

erland
2008-07-19, 22:49
I've not looked at the option but it could work. I've also taken a look at the multiple library plugin and I think that may full well do what I need it to. The only question I've not checked out yet is if it alters what the Crestron module may need to send the HTTP interface.

Do you know which commands the Creston module uses ?

mikeselectricstuff
2008-07-20, 02:43
Couldn't you just put each library in its own directory, and point SC at the dir containing these dirs. SC will merge the contents of the dirs when scanning, and you could point itunes at each individual dir?

sdirge
2008-07-22, 17:40
I have squeezecenter running in a windows xp VMWare machine on VMWare server it runs pretty well, I have the squeezecenter server connected to a file share with my music files.