PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to statically set the IP for a wired connection?

Matt.
2008-07-14, 15:33
Hi,

Is it possible to statically set the wired Ethernet connection? When connecting wirelessly it's an option if it does not get an ip from a dhcp but not with a iwred connection.

Cheers

Matt

Eric Seaberg
2008-07-14, 16:17
Which device? I have SB3s and a Transporter and don't have a problem with any of them being static. What kind of router are you using?

Did you try holding down the LEFT button until the SETUP screen comes on (assuming you're on a SB3 or TP)?

Matt.
2008-07-14, 16:30
I am using SqueezeBox Duets. There seems to be no option. Anyone with some information would be of great help. Even if it required telnet or ssh in and manually set the options.

ianr
2008-07-14, 18:47
I am using SqueezeBox Duets. There seems to be no option. Anyone with some information would be of great help. Even if it required telnet or ssh in and manually set the options.

Seconded! My music player doesn't need a dynamic address. I think that several of the problems I've seen on my network were a result of DHCP not playing nicely. The transporter works like a charm with static - wish I could set up the Duet in the same way.

pfarrell
2008-07-14, 19:12
ianr wrote:
> Matt.;319886 Wrote:
>> I am using SqueezeBox Duets. There seems to be no option. Anyone with
>> some information would be of great help. Even if it required telnet or
>> ssh in and manually set the options.
>
> Seconded! My music player doesn't need a dynamic address. I think that
> several of the problems I've seen on my network were a result of DHCP
> not playing nicely. The transporter works like a charm with static -
> wish I could set up the Duet in the same way.

I just run a DHCP server on my server that also runs SqueezeCenter. I
can assign any IP address I want to each MAC, and so the SqueezeBoxen
think they are using DHCP to get variable addresses, but they are in
fact fixed.

Works great.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Eric Seaberg
2008-07-14, 20:18
That's how I do it, too, Pat. It also keeps network troubleshooting much easier to deal with... but that doesn't really solve the OPs problem.

What kind of router are you using, Matt, my good man?