PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Albums?

FredFredrickson
2008-07-14, 07:56
Sounds a bit like the "Various Artists" bug everybody's talking about, but I've got this problem with a lot of my artists. For no reason, some albums are splitting themselves up. It's a worsening problem. Originally, all my albums were perfect, but over time they're splitting.

Take for instance "Memory Man" by aqualung. A few weeks ago, I had one album for "Memory Man." Now I have 3 listed:

Memory Man
Memory Man
Memory Man (Disc 1)

Each "album" has 3 or 4 tracks. Together, all three make up the entire album. None of them share tracks.

I'm using SqueezeCenter Version: 7.1 - 21605 @ Wed Jul 9 01:06:58 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

It's been a problem since version 7.0 but now it's seemingly getting worse. It's starting to appear in places it wasn't before. I can't tell what's causing the problem.

FredFredrickson
2008-07-14, 07:59
Extra notes: Nothing has changed the tags on the songs. I'm doing a "Clear Library and Rescan" which should solve the problem (for now). We'll see just what happens after that. (I've done a normal rescan almost daily for the past few months... so I know that this either: doesn't solve the problem/is creating the problem)

(Will update after rescan)

sebp
2008-07-14, 08:18
Hi Fred,

Looks like a tagging problem to me.
All the files of a single artist album should (theory/logic) have the same base ("Artist", "Album Title") tags set.
In your case, some tracks seem to have the "Disc Number" tag set, while others don't.
Some tracks could also have trailing spaces in the "Album Title" tag.
You'd better check the "Year" and "Genre" tags while you're at it.

Seb

FredFredrickson
2008-07-14, 08:36
Well, sure enough, delete library and rescan didn't fix it.

I checked all the tags (They are WMA files) and all the artist and album information are identicle. Additionally, I didn't see any "Disc Number" tags. There are no trailing or beginning spaces. All are capitalized identically. The only interesting thing was the "Comment" tag, which had a variety of values similar to "USSM10607388"

As far as I know, that shouldn't affect the library though. I'm at a loss...

andynormancx
2008-07-14, 08:42
Have you been opening them in Windows Media Player at all and is it set to automatically update metadata ? I had WMP mess with the tags on just some of the tracks in some albums just enough to end up with split albums.

FredFredrickson
2008-07-14, 08:53
Yes, I have been. I am guessing this is the issue- but using mysql query browser, I'm not seeing any differences between the files - except the ARTWORK is different. Is it possible for different tracks having different artwork to cause an album split? It's technically the same album cover, but apparently wmp has redone the artwork for a few tracks, but not all.

And how did the disc number get set on some of the tracks? I'm not seeing that tag anywhere in the actual files..

sebp
2008-07-14, 13:29
Is it possible for different tracks having different artwork to cause an album split?
Would be very surprising. I really don't think so.

And how did the disc number get set on some of the tracks? I'm not seeing that tag anywhere in the actual files..
I'd guess some of your files contain a mixed set of ID3v2.2/v2.3/v2.4 tags.
WMP (or the tool you're using to check your tags) could only show you one subset, and hide/ignore other(s).
SqueezeCenter being quite good at catching 'em all, it would detect a TPA/TPOS tag WMP/other tool won't show, and would set this tag accordingly while scanning your library.

Sounds plausible?

FredFredrickson
2008-07-14, 15:59
Would be very surprising. I really don't think so.

Take a look at the attached image, the only difference between compilation 44 and 45 seems to be the artwork... Not sure why...

I'd guess some of your files contain a mixed set of ID3v2.2/v2.3/v2.4 tags.
WMP (or the tool you're using to check your tags) could only show you one subset, and hide/ignore other(s).
SqueezeCenter being quite good at catching 'em all, it would detect a TPA/TPOS tag WMP/other tool won't show, and would set this tag accordingly while scanning your library.

Sounds plausible?

I don't think that WMA files have more than one type of tags.. I'm looking at the tags winamp shows me, is there more than meets the eye?

sebp
2008-07-14, 16:31
Take a look at the attached image, the only difference between compilation 44 and 45 seems to be the artwork... Not sure why...
Well, I already encountered this kind of problem, and when I did, I found that my tags weren't exactly the same in every file of the album.
That's why I'm pretty sure your problem has to do with file tagging.

I don't think that WMA files have more than one type of tags.. I'm looking at the tags winamp shows me, is there more than meets the eye?
By design, FLAC files can embed several ARTIST tags, and all of them will be seen by SqueezeCenter. I still have to find a MacOS tagging program that can show me anything but the first one. You see what I mean?

You should set scanner logging level to debug and have a look at it.
It would probably give you a good clue of what's going wrong with these files.

MrSinatra
2008-07-14, 16:35
i would guess that it is your tags. assuming all the tracks are in the same folder, SC has to be getting the divergent info somewhere.

perhaps it is a combo of tags, locations, and missing tag info. SC guesses info from the location / filename when it can't find it in the tag.

be sure to set WMP to only ADD missing tag info, (if you want it to even do that much)

personally, i use winamp for windows, and the only time i use WMP is when i rip a cd to get the artwork, and i tell it to only monitor the rip folder and only add missing info (i rip with EAC i just have WMP open when doing so).

FredFredrickson
2008-07-14, 20:43
I will look. I originally bought all the albums directly from Yahoo's music store, so at least at one point, the tags should've been perfect. But I did look at the files with Windows Media Player, so it's a possibility they're messed up.

I will look for an advanced tag editor and report back.

FredFredrickson
2008-07-15, 10:58
Changed disc numbers in the WMA tags, fixed multiple albums- still doesn't explain some of the albums it made.. but.. hmmf. (It explains Memory Man and Memory Man (Disc 1), but not the second Memory Man)

FredFredrickson
2008-07-15, 11:07
So if you pop open mysql query browser to check around, a quick query to check for albums that might have dupes is:

SELECT cnt, titlesort, namesort FROM (SELECT count(titlesort) as cnt, titlesort, contributor FROM slimserver.albums a group by titlesort, contributor order by cnt desc) as tbl1 left join slimserver.contributors on contributors.id = tbl1.contributor

FredFredrickson
2008-07-16, 07:18
And there's a neat little setting in squeezecenter's settings that lets you treat multiple disc albums as one album. That's good to know. Gets rid of the annoying (Disc 1) after everything.

MrSinatra
2008-07-16, 20:29
your last post sounds like its merely masking the issue, i didn't understand the post prior to that one.

olc
2008-07-25, 20:13
I also do not use WMP but WinAmp. I have tried every solution mentioned here and still have the problem of albums being split into two, with the same name, by SqueezeCenter. I Use a separate folder for each album. I use WinAmp or freedb to get tags and then examine them with MP3Tag or TagEditor. The songs in the two (or even more) pieces have identical tags except for the track title and track number. It seems SqueezeCenter is using something not shown in a tag editor. I have no idea what to try next.

MrSinatra
2008-07-26, 07:37
difference in case? something must be divergent.

WilCox
2008-07-26, 09:03
I have the same problem as the OP. Albums that were fine a year ago have started separating themselves. This all happened when migrating from SlimServer to SqueezeCenter. I have been slowly trying to put things back together with mixed success. None of the options within SqueezeCenter seem to solve problem, so it seems manual intervention with tags is required. With 1300+ albums, it's a task that will take some time.

FredFredrickson
2008-07-26, 13:09
Unfortunately, after much examination, I found that there was never an error on my part. Although some albums has a Disc 1 designation, and some did not.. that did not explain the multiple albums with the same Disc number designation.

However, changing the setting to combine multiple disc albums has gotten rid of my problem, where tag fixing did not.

MrSinatra
2008-07-28, 03:16
i think it masked the problem, which isn't te same as fixing it.

SOMETHING seems amiss. it seems to me the behavior is result of either the data as you present it to SC, OR SC has some kind of internal bug that causes it and the data is identical.

of the two, i think the former is more likely.

i think people with this problem should file a bug report and post their mp3s in it (and a description of how its stored locally) so slim can recreate the issue. they can either figure out if its the data or the slim stuff.

Hangleton
2008-10-15, 03:02
I too have had this problem.

In the past, it's been differences in tagging, and fixing the tags has resolved it. Usually something like case mismatch (and vs And, for instance).

Recently, however (and it may be since version 7.2, I can't be sure), I have seen the problem when there is no difference in the tags. A full rescan clears the problem, which surely wouldn't clear the problem if the tags were different.

If there's any information I can gather if and when this happens again, I'd be glad to try. I am unsure that it would be reproducible at will though.

Regards,

Andy

iPhone
2008-10-15, 07:12
Sounds a bit like the "Various Artists" bug everybody's talking about, but I've got this problem with a lot of my artists. For no reason, some albums are splitting themselves up. It's a worsening problem. Originally, all my albums were perfect, but over time they're splitting.

Take for instance "Memory Man" by aqualung. A few weeks ago, I had one album for "Memory Man." Now I have 3 listed:

Memory Man
Memory Man
Memory Man (Disc 1)

Each "album" has 3 or 4 tracks. Together, all three make up the entire album. None of them share tracks.

I'm using SqueezeCenter Version: 7.1 - 21605 @ Wed Jul 9 01:06:58 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

It's been a problem since version 7.0 but now it's seemingly getting worse. It's starting to appear in places it wasn't before. I can't tell what's causing the problem.

As you say, Disc 1, 2, and 3 make up the whole album. So why not just rip it as one album? I use dBpowerAmp to rip with. I remove the 1/3 and change all the Disc to 1/1. Then when I rip the second and third disc, I use Track Offset to re-number track 1 on disc 2 to whatever follows the last track on Disc 1, same for Disc 3. Now it is one album as it should be, and only shows once in SC or on the Controller.

FredFredrickson
2008-10-15, 12:19
As you say, Disc 1, 2, and 3 make up the whole album. So why not just rip it as one album? I use dBpowerAmp to rip with. I remove the 1/3 and change all the Disc to 1/1. Then when I rip the second and third disc, I use Track Offset to re-number track 1 on disc 2 to whatever follows the last track on Disc 1, same for Disc 3. Now it is one album as it should be, and only shows once in SC or on the Controller.

That's the problem. There's only actually 1 disc. With 11 tracks, labeled 1 through 11. No idea why I've got multiple albums present.

I'm on 7.3 nightly now, and I don't still have this issue.. so.. this was an old thread.

phantomwhale
2008-10-26, 08:11
I've been getting this problem off LOTS of freshly ripped CDs. I am ripping using MediaMonkey (with AAC plugin) ripping to 128kbps AAC format.

The albums (single disc albums) are appearing up to three times in the squeeze center library on my duet controller. One particular album I asked MediaMonkey to clean all the tags from and rebuild just the basic tags, but after a rescan it's still chopped quite randomly into three parts.

Have been just soldiering through, ripping my CDs, but more and more are getting this bug. Not complex double-albums, just simple albums tagged from FreeDB and checked.

Is there some sort of low-level tag / database reading tool I can use to examine exactly why two tracks are regarded as "not in the same album" ? Perhaps then I can understand better if this is my tools mucking things up (which even if they are, it seems a little over-sensitive on squeezecenter's part) or if there is a potential bug report to submit.

Think I am on 7.2 - not too keen to move to nightly builds just yet...

Ben

Phil Leigh
2008-10-26, 08:18
128kbps AAC format...

Oh dear. Is there some reason why you want to reduce your music to such a terrible format?
Perhaps you should use a decent ripper (EAC, dbPowerAmp etc) and a decent format (FLAC, lossless ALAC etc).

phantomwhale
2008-10-27, 01:47
128kbps AAC format...

Oh dear. Is there some reason why you want to reduce your music to such a terrible format?
Perhaps you should use a decent ripper (EAC, dbPowerAmp etc) and a decent format (FLAC, lossless ALAC etc).

Whilst we are going on a tangent here from the issue of SqueezeCenter somehow reading the uniform tags of my album and deducing they are in fact from three separate albums, I am quite interested in your post.

I guess you have presumed I am mainly ripping my music for my Squeezebox ? Unfortunately I have been mainly ripping songs for my iPod, and found AAC (Nero codec) to be smaller and superior to MP3 (Lame codec) in a few tests. OGG didn't sound too different, maybe had the slight edge, but iPod did not natively support it so it wasn't a great choice. I do have many old MP3 tracks in the library too, but made a choice to rip into AAC for the iPod a few years ago.

That all said, since discovering my SqueezeServer is having to convert all my AAC tunes into FLAC on the fly to play them anyway (which will kill my NAS box when I install SqueezeCenter there, I suspect) I now have setup EAC and MAREO to rip CDs into both AAC and FLAC format in the future.

But none the less, given that most of my music is already in a well-tagged AAC format, and also given that EAC and dual-format encoding is veeeeeeery slow and I've got over 1000 CDs, I'm going to be running off the AAC library for quite sometime yet !

So my previous question still remains, is there anything I might try to closer analyse the tags of my files or the SqueezeCenter database to understand how it has interpreted a single album to be split as three albums (the distribution of tracks between them is also very random) ?

I will equally see if this problem ever applies to any of my MP3 files - suspect I might be a bug on reading AAC tracks (which might explain why I've not seen too many complaints about it ?)

peter
2008-10-27, 01:59
phantomwhale wrote:
> Phil Leigh;353613 Wrote:
>
>> 128kbps AAC format...
>>
>> Oh dear. Is there some reason why you want to reduce your music to such
>> a terrible format?
>> Perhaps you should use a decent ripper (EAC, dbPowerAmp etc) and a
>> decent format (FLAC, lossless ALAC etc).
>>
>
> Whilst we are going on a tangent here from the issue of SqueezeCenter
> somehow reading the uniform tags of my album and deducing they are in
> fact from three separate albums, I am quite interested in your post.
>
> I guess you have presumed I am mainly ripping my music for my
> Squeezebox ? Unfortunately I have been mainly ripping songs for my
> iPod, and found AAC (Nero codec) to be smaller and superior to MP3
> (Lame codec) in a few tests. OGG didn't sound too different, maybe had
> the slight edge, but iPod did not natively support it so it wasn't a
> great choice. I do have many old MP3 tracks in the library too, but
> made a choice to rip into AAC for the iPod a few years ago.
>
> That all said, since discovering my SqueezeServer is having to convert
> all my AAC tunes into FLAC on the fly to play them anyway (which will
> kill my NAS box when I install SqueezeCenter there, I suspect) I now
> have setup EAC and MAREO to rip CDs into both AAC and FLAC format in
> the future.
>
> But none the less, given that most of my music is already in a
> well-tagged AAC format, and also given that EAC and dual-format
> encoding is veeeeeeery slow and I've got over 1000 CDs, I'm going to be
> running off the AAC library for quite sometime yet !
>

Why don't you rip to FLAC alone and then use dbpoweramp converter to
batch convert everything to AAC as well. The converter is quite fast and
can run unattended.

> So my previous question still remains, is there anything I might try to
> closer analyse the tags of my files or the SqueezeCenter database to
> understand how it has interpreted a single album to be split as three
> albums (the distribution of tracks between them is also very random) ?
>

I use mp3tag to fix and figure out my tags. It's quite convenient. I
usually make sure the Album tag is set identically and that the files
are in the same directory (a hassle with multi-cd disks), I usually
renumber the tracks and change the filenames.

>
> I will equally see if this problem ever applies to any of my MP3 files
> - suspect I might be a bug on reading AAC tracks (which might explain
> why I've not seen too many complaints about it ?)
>

If that's it you'll also fix it by using FLACs ;)

Regards,
Peter