PDA

View Full Version : moodlab dac possible grounding problem

drewe181
2008-07-12, 16:31
i just purchased some dnm reson interconnects to connect my moodlab dac to a burson buffer. when connected (even when bypassing the buffer), a humming noise can be heard from the speakers. using other interconnects -even an el cheapo variety- i do not have this problem. i have connected the dnm's from the buffer to the amp and there isn't any humming so i know that it is the dac-buffer/amp connection that is the problem. would it be a grounding issue or a cable shielding issue? any ideas on how to fix this problem?
thanks in advance
-D

Phil Leigh
2008-07-12, 21:49
this is a shielding issue - dnm cables are unshielded and must be kept away from any transformers etc,

drewe181
2008-07-13, 04:15
thanks phil, is there any way to shield the cables without affecting their sonic attributes?

Phil Leigh
2008-07-13, 09:58
thanks phil, is there any way to shield the cables without affecting their sonic attributes?

I'm no expert on this, but the general advice on DNM cables is that they just don't work well with certain equipment because of this issue. UK equipment that has its case bonded to earth at all times is usually OK.
The "hum" must be coming from a nearby mains transformer in one of your equipment items. By turning off (say) the DAC but leaving eh buffer running should tell you if it is teh dac or the buffer...

You could try wrapping the cables in foil... ?