PDA

View Full Version : Cowon iAudio7 Flac player

mudlark
2008-07-10, 05:37
Hi all,

I have acquired several mp3 type players over the years, but as I use Flac for my digital collection i have always underused the devices.

Recently I bought a 16GB version of the iaudio7 player. Drag and drop transfer and the sound is great through my sennheisers. It will store about 40 cds.

mike.

GlenL
2008-07-10, 07:01
Hi Mudlark,

Does it display album art for the 'now playing' track ?

If so does that have to be embedded in the file or can it recognize a cover.jpg/folder.jpg in the music sub folders ?

m1abrams
2008-07-10, 08:35
Hi all,

I have acquired several mp3 type players over the years, but as I use Flac for my digital collection i have always underused the devices.

Recently I bought a 16GB version of the iaudio7 player. Drag and drop transfer and the sound is great through my sennheisers. It will store about 40 cds.

mike.

Can you browse your audio via tags. Or is it just able to browse via folder structure? I know the older cowon only had folder structure browsing. Which is the downside to being able to just drag-n-drop the music because no software is building a database of the music on the player. However the player could monitor changes and build/update the db when this happens however that requires a decent amount of processing time. Not sure if recent portable hardware can handle this in a timely manner.

Side question - Why is having the ability to "drag-n-drop" music so important? I understand not wanting to be tied to iTunes, many 3rd party software exist that support the ipod and other players. Heck some of them you do not even need to install on the machine and can run it from the ipod. http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

Personally I find sync'ing playlists is far more useful and easier for me.

mudlark
2008-07-10, 09:18
The player doesn't display album art, but will do lyrics.

the problem is I am too old and my eyesight isn't good enough to read it!

I doesn't allow tag search.

I tend to throw a whole cd on at a time rather than the ipod solution which would drive me nuts.

I don't use a PC or a MAC so I tend to avoid syncing or other playlist system. It just doesn't work for me.

I posted because of the large capacity with no hdd and a 60 hour play period. I think these aspects are helpful for folks like me who use non apple lossless files. (FLAC rather than ALAC)

m1abrams
2008-07-10, 09:49
The player doesn't display album art, but will do lyrics.

the problem is I am too old and my eyesight isn't good enough to read it!

I doesn't allow tag search.

I tend to throw a whole cd on at a time rather than the ipod solution which would drive me nuts.

I don't use a PC or a MAC so I tend to avoid syncing or other playlist system. It just doesn't work for me.

I posted because of the large capacity with no hdd and a 60 hour play period. I think these aspects are helpful for folks like me who use non apple lossless files. (FLAC rather than ALAC)

No I think the cowon is nice, been watching them for years. Not being able to browse by tag is the deal breaker for me.
Not sure what you mean by ipod solution. If by using playlists think of it this way. I tend to buy a few CDs a week, I rip them to my collection. I have a smartplaylist that is built automaticaly that has the newest music I have imported. Sync my ipod and boom on my ipod is a playlist of those CDs I just bought. No effort on my part at all beyond just ripping the CDs.

That is just one example of using a playlist to save time and energy. My music collection is too large to try and browse by file hierarchy.

CatBus
2008-07-10, 10:57
Part of it's historical--when I bought my DAP (from Cowon), nobody supported ARTISTSORT, so browsing by files was the only way to find my music where I expected it to be. Tagged browsing is just recently catching up to file browsing in this respect, and even that varies from vendor to vendor. I've got about 350 albums and don't find file browsing to be any trouble at all, but I've got a pretty good folder hierarchy going, so that probably helps.

As for syncing playlists, I could never really survive like that, because I never know what I'm going to want to listen to that far in advance. So if my player can't hold every single one of my albums, there's just no point in having it. This is also why, for me, UMS drag-and-drop is no more trouble than syncing playlists. I copy everything. Simple.

Hope that helps. Everyone's a little different, and some are more different than others ;)

m1abrams
2008-07-10, 11:13
Part of it's historical--when I bought my DAP (from Cowon), nobody supported ARTISTSORT, so browsing by files was the only way to find my music where I expected it to be. Tagged browsing is just recently catching up to file browsing in this respect, and even that varies from vendor to vendor. I've got about 350 albums and don't find file browsing to be any trouble at all, but I've got a pretty good folder hierarchy going, so that probably helps.

As for syncing playlists, I could never really survive like that, because I never know what I'm going to want to listen to that far in advance. So if my player can't hold every single one of my albums, there's just no point in having it. This is also why, for me, UMS drag-and-drop is no more trouble than syncing playlists. I copy everything. Simple.

Hope that helps. Everyone's a little different, and some are more different than others ;)

Curious, if you copy everything and lets say you add a few albums after you copied everything but it has been a little while since you added those albums. How do you sync your player again without re-copying everything? Or another example you have corrected tags on older files that already exist on the player. I just do not see how drag and drop ability really saves time and effort.

As for browsing by tags, see I can not look ahead as to the ONE best way to structure and find my music.
ARTIST/ALBUM -- Good for finding music by and artist
Genre/Artist/Album -- I like this one for finding music that I am in the mood for.
Genre/Album -- Good for compliations

Note: I have my entire collection on my ipod too, however I use playlists as I describe to get to music easily. Mind you I do NOT use iTunes and understand people avoiding that program. There are many better music manager/players that work just fine with the ipod or many other media players.

CatBus
2008-07-10, 11:47
How do you sync your player again without re-copying everything? Or another example you have corrected tags on older files that already exist on the player. I just do not see how drag and drop ability really saves time and effort.

Rsync. Drag and drop is really just a simple GUI to a UMS device--rsync is another interface. One click and it's synced.

As for browsing by tags, see I can not look ahead as to the ONE best way to structure and find my music.
ARTIST/ALBUM -- Good for finding music by and artist
Genre/Artist/Album -- I like this one for finding music that I am in the mood for.
Genre/Album -- Good for compliations

I have pretty much the same system except without the first option. If I want to find an artist, it's usually pretty obvious which genre I've placed them under. Basically the folder structure exactly mirrors how I had my CDs organized, so I know where things are from the visual memory of the physical object.