PDA

View Full Version : Possible fix for "Delayed Write Failed"

mswlogo
2008-07-09, 21:52
Since many of us use external USB drives on windows XP I'm sure there are some of you that have seen this error.

I've searched and tried many things and it still failed.

There are many reasons that can cause this but I think a common one, was what I ran into and finally fixed.

The problem is most folks set their drive spin down time less than their hibernate or standby time. The problem with this is, when the computer goes to standby or hibernate the drive needs to be spun up to do some house keeping. The USB drives can spin up rather slow and might not have as tight a hand shake as an internal IDE drive (which this problem rarely happens on).

So all I did was set the drive spin down time to be greater than the hibernate time. I could of also set never. It's just a habit to set drives and monitor to be less than standby / hibernate. In reality the drive will normally always spin when actively serving squeeze center. Having it spin down a little sooner than hibernate served little purpose.

Also when the system restores from standby or hibernate the last state for the drive is a spinning state.

Well any ways this trivial change seemed to fix it.

This seems so much simpler than playing with drivers, cache sizes and hotfixes. You'll also see "hibernate" often refernced with the problem.

My WOL (Wake On Lan) server is finally 100% solid.

egd
2008-07-10, 08:48
This problem will also manifest itself if you throw too much data at the USB channel eg. appending artwork to audio files causing the file to be rewritten whilst also having a copy operation going. In general, USB connectivity is a lot better than it used to be but it is still not a robust solution. Many motherboards and external drive enclosures are now offering eSata connectivity, which is a much faster solution and nowhere near as susceptible to corruption.

mswlogo
2008-07-10, 09:14
This problem will also manifest itself if you throw too much data at the USB channel eg. appending artwork to audio files causing the file to be rewritten whilst also having a copy operation going. In general, USB connectivity is a lot better than it used to be but it is still not a robust solution. Many motherboards and external drive enclosures are now offering eSata connectivity, which is a much faster solution and nowhere near as susceptible to corruption.

Agreed there are things like this that can causes problems too. But I could pound on the thing (RIP) over network and does the convert from WAV to flac over the net and it's fine. But if it goes to sleep and wakes up I get the error.

Uluen
2008-07-10, 11:05
Well, there is (not sure if it's fixed) a bug in XP causing this so if you don't bother patching your system you could lose data.

mswlogo
2008-07-10, 20:57
Well, there is (not sure if it's fixed) a bug in XP causing this so if you don't bother patching your system you could lose data.

XP SP2 had a hofix for a very specific chipset which didn't help most folks. That hotfix is supposedly incorporated in SP3 but it still fails and fails for a lot of folks. I'm running SP3 and there is no hotfix for SP3.

I've never had data corruption in over the 1.5 years running it with the error on SP2. But the error was wicked annoying.

The problems seems fixed now. No errors at all now. And the fix could not have been simpler (i.e. make sure disk is spun up during hibernate/standby).