PDA

View Full Version : WAF ( wife acceptance factor ) I don't get it

pc4ever1
2008-07-09, 13:35
My wife just bought a portable dock station for her Sansa Rhapsody player. At times I use Rhapsody as well on my SD equipment. I have two SB3's , a Duet and Transporter wirelessly networked throughout the house. She says she doesn't want to play around with the SD player and turning on PC's, instead she just wants to listen to music. I have showed her Squeezenetwork and using Rhapsody within it as well. Yet she still feels imtimidated , has anyone else encountered this with their wives, girlfriends etc.

If so, I wonder what SD/Logitech needs to do to turn their equipment from geekware to mainstream. I'm guessing an instant on /play mode would help here.

BTW... I love all the pieces of SD equipment that I own. Having spent countless hours of enjoyment on these players I'll never let them go.

Enoch Soames
2008-07-09, 14:12
I've got two SB3s and the Duet, and loaded the server with all my wife's favorite music - but she won't go near any of it. I think my wife is an extreme case, though: She can't (or won't) get the hang of our iPod either.

CatBus
2008-07-09, 14:17
Here's how to translate SlimDevices geek joy into layman's terms:

It's a networked music player! Translation: If the network's not up, the device is completely useless.

You can control it from your web browser! Translation: Ignore this, you can still use a remote.

So for maximum acceptance, leave the computer on and show them how to use the remote. After this, it should be no more hassle to use an SB3 than the Sansa player. They don't want to mess with a computer every time they want to listen to music, and I personally agree with that sentiment 100%.

Phil Leigh
2008-07-09, 14:22
It's NOT geekware. My wife (and kids) can use it just fine from web GUI or the remote. I didn't show them how to do it. They figured it out...

amcluesent
2008-07-09, 14:25
>I wonder what SD/Logitech needs to do to turn their equipment from geekware to mainstream<

Ship a version in pink?

Brian Ritchie
2008-07-09, 15:02
>I wonder what SD/Logitech needs to do to turn their equipment from geekware to mainstream<

Ship a version in pink?

My wife *hates* pink. :-)

She never seemed to bother using the SB3, and was happy to wait for me to turn it on, though in part this is because she's not as bothered as I am about having music on most of the time. But I was pleased when I came home one day to find her using the Duet in the kitchen. She'd turned the whole lot on from cold - server, network, receiver, controller - and figured out what to do, without any manuals or instructions from me.

I'm not surprised that she figured it out (she is an analyst/programmer, after all), but that she *bothered* to. Usually, she'd just plug her iPod in (as I used to, before the Duet arrived).

-- Brian

lanierb
2008-07-09, 15:41
I have some advice: go into Squeezecenter player settings and simplify the menus. Get rid of stuff you don't use. Make it as simple as possible and I'll bet she'll use it. If she only uses Rhapsody, put Rhapsody on the top menu (I think you can do that). Heck, you could even set a seldom used remote button to call up Rhapsody.

All this worked for me. My wife hates gadgets and she loves the squeezebox.

JJZolx
2008-07-09, 15:49
My wife just bought a portable dock station for her Sansa Rhapsody player. At times I use Rhapsody as well on my SD equipment. I have two SB3's , a Duet and Transporter wirelessly networked throughout the house. She says she doesn't want to play around with the SD player and turning on PC's, instead she just wants to listen to music.

With all those players, do you actually keep the server shut down? I dont' know that _I_ would use my Squeezeboxes very much if I had to wait around for the server to boot up when I want to listen.

Goodsounds
2008-07-09, 17:32
For the OP:

You are an enthusiast, she's not. If she doesn't tell you to turn it off when you listen, and if she doesn't complain about what you buy when you buy it, I don't see how there's any problem here. You're happy and she's happy, no reason to expect your SO to have the same hobbies or interests you have. So long as you can do what you want, you're where you want to be. You each have a different way to listen to what you like, and so be it.

It's about the same in my house. On a related matter, I love going to live music. My wife never pays any attention to any of the venue schedules. Yet, if I find a show I want to go to, she's always ready to go and seems to enjoy them as much as I do. I've missed shows I would have wanted to go to, in cases when she has seen the announcement and I missed it, and she didn't mention anything to me about it. It just usually doesn't occur to her to check schedules and get tickets. I'm ok with that, music seems to be more my hobby than hers, but she likes it too.

Rick Hudson
2008-07-09, 18:46
On 10/07/2008 9:17 a.m., CatBus wrote:

> So for maximum acceptance, leave the computer on and show them how to
> use the remote. After this, it should be no more hassle to use an SB3
> than the Sansa player. They don't want to mess with a computer every
> time they want to listen to music, and I personally agree with that
> sentiment 100%.

Exactly. I don't have a problem doing all the setup stuff on the computer to
/configure/ a Squeezebox but if it does not then become a transparent audio
appliance that can be controlled solely by its remote then it's a waste of
time (literally) - you might as well just use Winamp and connect the
computer's audio to your amp.

If you have to do anything other than pressing the power button on the SB's
remote then you may have missed the point of the product. Surely having a
Squeezbox /requires/ an always-on server. Even wake-on-LAN would cause
unaceptable start delays. Spinning up a sleeping hard drive is just at the
limit of what I consider acceptable for my setup.

--
Rick Hudson
http://www.kpo.org.nz/ rick (AT) kpo (DOT) org.nz

maggior
2008-07-09, 18:47
My wife just bought a portable dock station for her Sansa Rhapsody player. At times I use Rhapsody as well on my SD equipment. I have two SB3's , a Duet and Transporter wirelessly networked throughout the house. She says she doesn't want to play around with the SD player and turning on PC's, instead she just wants to listen to music. I have showed her Squeezenetwork and using Rhapsody within it as well. Yet she still feels imtimidated , has anyone else encountered this with their wives, girlfriends etc.

If so, I wonder what SD/Logitech needs to do to turn their equipment from geekware to mainstream. I'm guessing an instant on /play mode would help here.

BTW... I love all the pieces of SD equipment that I own. Having spent countless hours of enjoyment on these players I'll never let them go.

On the squeezebox, Rhapsody is available via squeezenetwork, so you don't have to have the PC's on. Though, in that case, you may have to leave it connected to SN when you turn it off for usability.

My wife enjoys the SB and uses it all of the time - mainly to play music for the kids. She even knows how to shuffle! She likes it because is alleviates the clutter of CDs sitting around. I love it because I don't have to go to the basement to pick a musical selection from my CD collection.

Other posters have good suggestions - modify the menu to simplify it and put Rhapsody on top.

If fear of messing up the PCs or network by pressing the incorrect buttons is an issue, reassure her as best you can that she can't do any irrevocable damage to the unit or network.

Good luck!

iPhone
2008-07-09, 19:12

The way I got the better half to start using SB3 was I bought a Harmony 1000 and now it is a one button operation for her to listen to music (even if the TV is already on). All she now has to do is tap "Digital Music" and the Receiver comes on switched to the SB3 input and the SB3 comes on (and anything else not needed that is on goes off). She picks her playlist or goes random and is on her way. She has even started using the Controller to make changes. I came home the other day and she had the dinner party background music playlist already running for the quests we were having over.

Make it easy to use, show then how easy it can be, and people start using it. With as many devices as you have, I would have a full time music server running SC and never turn it off. Then it is always ready to use for her.

Lastly, I personally don't believe you can complain about anything. After all, she let you buy a Transporter that she does not understand or care to use. It would be hard for me to find any fault with anybody that would allow that. My better half took almost 10 years before there was any difference in a Sony Boombox and my main system. She thought it was wasted money IE music is music. I told her sound is one thing, reproduced music was a whole other game. She now can't stand listening to her friends rack system when we visit. Some things just take time.

Skunk
2008-07-09, 19:37
If you have to do anything other than pressing the power button on the SB's
remote then you may have missed the point of the product. Surely having a
Squeezbox /requires/ an always-on server.

A dedicated server may be ideal for some, but I personally don't see the need to maintain a separate box when my desktop is on _all_ of the time someone is home, and a lot of the time nobody is home as well.

If Squeezecenter is set to run as a service on the 'family' desktop, then it's only one extra power button to push if the server is off.

My GF and I are self-professed freepacman.org addicts, which combined with one of us being a SD forum addict and the other a myspace addict pretty much ensures that the server's power button will always be pushed before the power button of the Sb remote.

Rick Hudson
2008-07-09, 20:14
On 10/07/2008 2:37 p.m., Skunk wrote:
> Rick Hudson;318586 Wrote:
>> If you have to do anything other than pressing the power button on the
>> SB's
>> remote then you may have missed the point of the product. Surely having
>> a
>> Squeezbox /requires/ an always-on server.
>
> A dedicated server may be ideal for some, but I personally don't see
> the need to maintain a separate box when my desktop is on _all_ of the
> time someone is home, and a lot of the time nobody is home as well.

I didn't mean to imply it needs a dedicated server but rather a computer that,
as far as the SB is concerned, is a server that is there when it's needed. My
point was that turning on the SB should not ever be followed by the
realization that the server is not running since the illusion of an audio
appliance is then gone.

> If Squeezecenter is set to run as a service on the 'family' desktop,
> then it's only one extra power button to push if the server is off.

That's where I disagree. Turning on the amp, for example, is instantaneous.
Turning on a PC-based computer is like 20-30 seconds minimum, as well as being
an extra thing to turn on.

--
Rick Hudson
http://www.kpo.org.nz/ rick (AT) kpo (DOT) org.nz

Skunk
2008-07-09, 21:11
That's where I disagree. Turning on the amp, for example, is instantaneous.
Turning on a PC-based computer is like 20-30 seconds minimum, as well as being
an extra thing to turn on.

Yes, for normal ppl the amp switch is instantaneous, but we use a tube amp that takes longer to warm up :-)

The second sentence in my reply should have been part of the first paragraph, which assumes the server will be on any time someone is there to press the power button on squeezebox's remote (which never gets used in lieu of the web interface by the SO BTW).

Nonreality
2008-07-10, 00:12
You just now realized that they are different animals? Just count your blessing that you have a SB product. Keep it down too, she must not have noticed the purchase.

Khuli
2008-07-10, 01:40
My wife thinks that the concept is great, and once or twice she has actually even used it. BUT, she thinks that the menu system is totally NOT intuitive, stupid, and way too hard to find anything. If only it was like an iPod....

Still, I have a controller on order (only because of the discount!) so we'll see if she likes that any better.

charlesr
2008-07-10, 01:52
It was an easy sell for me.

"We can put all the CDs away in a box. We can listen to all the CDs upstairs in the bedroom as well as the lounge. I'll sell the CD player."

Ok, so I had to buy a new larger HDD for the FLAC files and 2 SBs and a Logitech Harmony to make it work, and I have to leave the PC on, but she barely noticed the transition.

I've stuck all the radio stations we listen to in the playlists.

Howard Passman
2008-07-10, 02:12
Gave me a chuckle first thing this morning.

My wife wants nothing to do with the SB. My son on the other hand surprises me. Ultra smart, has had every iPod they've come out with, plays games online, text messages faster than anyone I've ever seen, plays paintball (and those markers are hi-maintenance)and deals with PC's like they were analog telephones. Howwwwwwwever, he isn't the least bit interested in the SB. I beleive he feels the same way I do. It's music. I enjoy the music. There's a million different ways to get music. Cd players, cable TV, radio (whatever that is), you PC or laptop, your phone, iPod or mP3 players and on and on and on. Usually, he is doing two or three things at once and that's where I think he loses interest in the SB. Anything that takes him away from the tasks at hand aggravates him. The iPod or his PC never seem to do that. The SB seems to do that occassionally or more often depending on your luck. I've finally got mine where the piddling to listening ratio is well infavor of the listening, but it still occassionally has to be recycled or messed with for a minute. Last night was an example. I had paused a playlist the day before and when I restarted it it seemed fine except it stopped playing after every song. It only took a minute to restart SC, but that's what it seemed to take. And that's where I would have lost my son. The great thing about iPod and mP3 players are they are very, very portable and highly reliable. You press the button, you hear the music. Oh, and the jog dial is nicer :-) So in my opinion, if you want the masses to love it like the folks on this forum, then it needs to be push and play. If not, then that's fine too, but it should come as no surprise that some folks just won't take to it like others and I would imagine most of those folks are busy with other things like ironing your shorts :-)

Have fun,

Howard

P.S. All the above is my warped opinion. Don't yell at me, I am a 60's kid.

Siduhe
2008-07-10, 03:09
You just now realized that they are different animals? Just count your blessing that you have a SB product. Keep it down too, she must not have noticed the purchase.

...adopts lotus position and effects air of zen like calm... (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=271209&highlight=post271209)

lanierb
2008-07-10, 09:17
...So in my opinion, if you want the masses to love it like the folks on this forum, then it needs to be push and play. If not, then that's fine too, but it should come as no surprise that some folks just won't take to it like others and I would imagine most of those folks are busy with other things like ironing your shorts :-)

SB's are push and play for the masses (like me) who simply plug their linksys router in to their DSL/Cable modem and turn it on. It seems to be the halfway power users (with complex networks/servers that are not quite setup right) that are the problem.