PDA

View Full Version : lame stops alien bbc

gandt
2008-07-07, 10:16
I recently had to find out how to use bandwidth limiting on a second squeezebox connected through homeplug to get a non stuttering music stream.(See the selective Transcode thread)I have fixed that problem by installing lame in the server/bin folder and setting the appropriate limit (320) for my downstairs player. But now alien bbc is not streaming to that player - it works elsewhere but somehow the bandwidth limiting (i assume) is confusing the stream send to the downstairs player. Any ideas?

Graham

bpa
2008-07-07, 10:34
Some internet streams will not be transcoded into MP3 - bit rate limiting is really intended for file audio.

That's right I sort of pointed it out in the "Selective transocde" thread

gandt
2008-07-07, 10:45
Is there any way around this i.e. retain limiting for audio files in flac but not for alien bbc streams - some pref file i can edit or something?

Phil Leigh
2008-07-07, 10:50
I recently had to find out how to use bandwidth limiting on a second squeezebox connected through homeplug to get a non stuttering music stream.(See the selective Transcode thread)I have fixed that problem by installing lame in the server/bin folder and setting the appropriate limit (320) for my downstairs player. But now alien bbc is not streaming to that player - it works elsewhere but somehow the bandwidth limiting (i assume) is confusing the stream send to the downstairs player. Any ideas?

Graham

which homeplugs are you using? - you shouldn't need to bitrate limit IME

bpa
2008-07-07, 10:52
Nope - a variation of this problem is logged as bug 4266 ( http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4266 ). If you were running Linux then there was a code patch that worked in 6.x but you cannot patch the code in Windows

gandt
2008-07-07, 10:58
Thanks all

reply to phil

im using the netgear 200hd plugs and despite moving them from socket to socket (no plugblock) the bandwidth test tells me they are delivering around 1000 - 1500 which means that whilst flac is ok some of the time a bit of network activity and it starts to stutter and I have nothing in the buffer. I assume this is something to do with the wiring in the house. This stuttering drives my wife insane and since the downstairs machine is used for non critical listening capping to 320 is quite ok - trouble is we also use it for radio - bbc in particular...and that means alien bbc

graham

Phil Leigh
2008-07-07, 11:31
Thanks all

reply to phil

im using the netgear 200hd plugs and despite moving them from socket to socket (no plugblock) the bandwidth test tells me they are delivering around 1000 - 1500 which means that whilst flac is ok some of the time a bit of network activity and it starts to stutter and I have nothing in the buffer. I assume this is something to do with the wiring in the house. This stuttering drives my wife insane and since the downstairs machine is used for non critical listening capping to 320 is quite ok - trouble is we also use it for radio - bbc in particular...and that means alien bbc

graham

as a test, have you tried plugging them into adjacent (or very close) sockets?

gandt
2008-07-07, 11:34
yep i use them all over the place and, for example, my daughter can stream from the home server to softsqueeze in flac quite happily (seems to provide about 2000 happily) but she is on the same floor. The homeplug in question is on the floor below and that seems to make the difference - I have tried it in several different sockets on the same floor. I assume its the wiring or perhaps fridge/freezer electrics or something

graham