PDA

View Full Version : Slimser..sorry..SqueezeCenter and Virtual Server 2005

hcanning
2008-07-05, 12:03
Hi all,

I'm running a Virtual Server 2005 machine on my server, so I can run an additional SqueezeCenter server on the same machine.

I have an external drive attached to the host server, shared over the network, and the Virtual Machine accesses this via it's network.

Now the problem I'm having is when I browse the music folder on the "virtual" Squeeze Server, it takes a long time to populate one of my subfolders, which contains a good 60gig of MP3s in artist\album folder structure, and I get "Loading Music Folder........" for about 20 seconds on the Squeezebox. It doesn't do this on my other, old SqueezeCenter server, which was on another PC but the same folder of files (not a virtual machine).

Could it be the networking in Virtual Server 2005 causing the slowness? In that it's gotta pretty much "loop back"? Anyone had any experience with this?

Hope this makes sense!

Uluen
2008-07-05, 13:07
Could it be the networking in Virtual Server 2005 causing the slowness? In that it's gotta pretty much "loop back"? Anyone had any experience with this?It could be.

I've had very low network performance on other products like VMware server when the NIC in use is bridged, is yours?

haunyack
2008-07-05, 13:49
Could it be the networking in Virtual Server 2005

Possibly.
Have you linked the virtual directory to the physical hard disc?
That could resolve the issue as VS won't have to cache the directory.
Linking to a physical disc is not recommended although I have not experienced data loss with this configuration.

Current backup, redundancy, uninterruptible power supply, etc is a good starting point.

hcanning
2008-07-05, 13:51
Possibly.
Have you linked the virtual directory to the physical hard disc?

Nope. How do I do this?

Thanks

haunyack
2008-07-05, 13:52
During the vhd creation select the option to link to hard drive.

JJZolx
2008-07-05, 21:12
It's also possible to run multiple SqueezeCenter servers on the same Windows computer without virtual machines. It takes a little work, but it's doable.

I won't go into all the details, but the basics are:

Bind multiple static IP addresses to the computer's network card. Each server must run on a separate IP address.
Unless you want to run more than one version of SqueezeCenter, you'll only need one installation of the server.
Create a folder for each instance of SqueezeCenter with prefs, cache, logs, music, and playlists subfolders. Ideally, create these outside of the SqueezeCenter program installation folder. Copy your slimserver.prefs file into each prefs folder.
Use shortcuts within the music folders if you want to share any (or all) music folders between SqueezeCenters. Or, just put the separate libraries into each one. It's a lot more flexible to use shortcuts.
Install your own MySQL server and create a database for each instance of SqueezeCenter. Each server needs its own database. They can't all use the installed MySQL as it comes configured with SC, since each one would try to bind to 127.0.0.1. Running your own MySQL server lets you run just one MySQL server and makes it easy to manage all in one place.
Specify the database to use for each instance by editing the slimserver.prefs file in each server's prefs folder.
Also edit the slimserver.prefs file to set the music and playlists folders.
Run each instance of SC server on a separate IP address by using command line options.
Tell each instance of SC server to use its own prefs, cache, and logs folder by using command line options.
If you like, you can run them all as Windows services by using instsrv and srvany from the Resource Kit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en.

hcanning
2008-07-06, 00:57
I think I'd need proper step by step instructions to do that!!