PDA

View Full Version : Buffer fullness problem with Receiver

nuttyphilt
2008-07-05, 11:52
Hi,

Problems with my new Receiver...

Setup:
Squeezecenter 7.0.1 installed on Vista Home Premium
Squeezebox Receiver (switched on permanently)
Files: FLAC and MP3
Router: Speedtouch 716 - everything connected wirelessly

I get stuttering playback when playing FLACs or MP3s - the problem's most common when playing FLACs. I've done a bit of diagnosis and it seems the Buffer Fullness is constantly <10 which seems likely to be the problem. However this is where the plot thickens - I've still got my old Squeezebox 3 (waiting to go on eBay!), so I hooked that up and no problems whatsoever. The Buffer Fullness on this shows an average of 94.3.

Why could the Buffer Fullness be so low on the Receiver compared to the SB3? In the test I just did I literally unplugged the Receiver and plugged in the SB3 - I didn't reset the PC & router or touch any other settings at all. I've noticed that sometimes restarting the Receiver helps but inevitably the stuttering comes back.

Wireless network strength is about 60% so not the greatest, which leads me to suspect the Receiver is more sensitive to wireless strength than the SB3.

Any suggestions? It's very frustrating...

raaurora
2008-07-05, 12:05
When you eventually plugged the receiver back in (after the test with the older sb), how long did it take for the stuttering to come back? That would have been with a fresh buffer as, I believe, turning it off via controller or squeezecenter does not turn it *completely* off.

I used to have an old Netgear MP101 wireless media player and I had to leave it unplugged when not in use for this very reason. I usually unplug my receiver out of that habit when I'm not playing music. I don't run into the stuttering issue...I've been streaming Rhapsody today for several hours and all ok. I'm also all wireless and have been running relatively clean for about 3 weeks now.

Unfortunately, there are so many variables that come into play. The speed of your server, other things going over your network, where on the network the music is, etc.

Still, it is curious that an older squeeze didn't have the issue. Though, you started it up cold so it would have had a clean buffer. I have wireless printers, gaming adapters, the duet, etc. I've typically found that an occasional cold start solves all kinds of problems. But that should be a once-in-a-blue-moon type of activity. What I'm not sure from your post is if you are doing cold or warm starts, and if a cold start, does the problem come back relatively quickly (which might suggest a possible defect to me).

p.s. - I'm also running 7.0.1 on Vista. But I suspect I have a stronger signal strength than you. My router, server, and receiver are all w/i about 12 feet of each other.

bpa
2008-07-05, 12:44
Ideally run an network test on the SBR to find the data throughput but I think you need 7.1 as the network test is not an option on the SBC with 7.0.x (I think it is under Settings/Advanced on the SBC).

nuttyphilt
2008-07-06, 03:16
So the latest update, not good news... It seems that the SB3 also does a bit of stuttering when playing FLACs which leads me to believe it's a wireless problem.

I'm thinking of ordering some Homeplugs to set up a wired link to my router. But thinking about it, the SB is right next to the PC - is there any way of hooking the SB directly into the PC via the Ethernet ports?

raaurora
2008-07-06, 06:51
So the latest update, not good news... It seems that the SB3 also does a bit of stuttering when playing FLACs which leads me to believe it's a wireless problem.

I'm thinking of ordering some Homeplugs to set up a wired link to my router. But thinking about it, the SB is right next to the PC - is there any way of hooking the SB directly into the PC via the Ethernet ports?

I'm not a networking guru but I think both of those ports expect input from the router, not another networked device?

is the router close by as well? can you try wiring an output port on the back of the router to the input ethernet port on the SBR? you have a g router as opposed to a b, correct?

Also, definitely run the network health test as others have suggested.

bpa
2008-07-06, 09:03
It could be wireless interference (e.g. from a neighbour's wifi) and not strength. Try changing channel number to as far away as possible from current channel.

radish
2008-07-07, 09:22
Sure, how is it connected now?

ntom
2008-07-07, 12:00
I have been having similar problems since moving to SC7 with stuttering on my wireless SB2 & SB3. Never a problem on the ethernet linked device.

Someone suggested turning off the LastFM plugin which has helped a lot. It gone from being entirely usable to being about 85% reliable. It does still happen occasionally when the buffer just sits there at 0% for a few seconds before re-filling (and I don't mean at the end of tracks).

Try it & post back your experience.

nuttyphilt
2008-07-07, 14:42
I took the plunge and bought some Homeplugs and a Netgear switch today, mainly because along with the problems with the SB, the wireless adaptor on my PC was pretty flaky too (for a different reason though - it would randomly disconnect from the router and require a reboot to reconnect it).

So far so good. Not a hint of a stutter. Finally I can listen to my music with zero frustration!

Why would switching the LastFM plugin help? Don't understand that...

BigTony
2008-07-07, 14:49
I had exatly the same stuttering problem.
I ran netstumbler and switched to a different wireless chanel and that fixed it.

BT

nuttyphilt
2008-07-07, 14:52
I had exatly the same stuttering problem.
I ran netstumbler and switched to a different wireless chanel and that fixed it.

BT

I did try a few different channels but none of them worked consistently for me unfortunately.