PDA

View Full Version : Slim Devices SB3 - not responding to remote.

unclepuncle
2008-07-01, 12:08
NB: I have previously owned 3 Logitech SB'3 so know how to set one up.

I have just bought an original White & Silver Slim Devices SB3 off ebay - apparently an ex-display never used example. Upon plugging in the power supply it displays the 'Slim Devices' logo then the 'Squeezebox' logo. Then it comes up with the set up networking screen, and says press right to continue - however whatever I press on the remote nothing happens. I changed the batteries and still nothing.
Obviously the remote would appear to be the problem but I wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

radish
2008-07-01, 13:38
Sounds like the remote, as you say. Test it by pointing a digital camera or camcorder at the remote LED and pressing some buttons, you should see a white glow from the LED on the camera's display.

Mark Lanctot
2008-07-02, 07:45
NB: I have previously owned 3 Logitech SB'3 so know how to set one up.

Do you still have the remote? Try another one.

You could also try a universal remote programmed for a JVC DVD player.

unclepuncle
2008-07-02, 08:13
I went and bought brand new Logitech SB3 from PC World and the remote from that works perfectly on the white Slim Devcies one.

Is there any way of getting the original white remote repaired - it looks totally mint and there is nothing rattling inside it. It looks hard to get inside it without damaging it though.

If the repair isn't possible I'd like to buy a backlit remote like the one on the slim devcies website for $29.99 - anyone know how mcuh they cost from Logitech (if they sell them at all).

Alternatively: Is there anyone (trust worthy) in the USA who could buy one for me (funds sent in advance by paypal obviously) and then send it on to me here.

radish
2008-07-02, 08:18
Is there any way of getting the original white remote repaired - it looks totally mint and there is nothing rattling inside it. It looks hard to get inside it without damaging it though.

There's a fault which has affected a few remotes where the LED solder joints fail. It's pretty easy to fix if you're handy with a soldering iron (or know someone who is). You should find instructions on the forum somewhere if you search around.

Another option would be to get a universal remote - either one which supports SB directly (such as the Logitech Harmony range) or one which you can program from the working remote.

Mark Lanctot
2008-07-02, 08:19
If you have any soldering/disassembly skills, apparently the IR LED lead connection at the PCB can get overstressed and crack. Re-soldering the leads at the PCB has helped others in the past.

unclepuncle
2008-07-02, 13:09
How do i get the remote apart without damaging it - there are no screws or anything - I assume it is glued together.

unclepuncle
2008-07-12, 02:39
I have got the remote apart but there dosen't seem to be anything wrong with the solder on the pins on the bulb and the circuit board.
The bulb has a metal element inside it and there is a small gap in this - could that be whats wrong? If so can anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement for this bulb(maplins etc).

PS. sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology

DanielTheGreat
2015-05-04, 18:13
unclepuncle,

Sorry for replying to this thread years after it finished, but I have two malfunctioning remotes that I want to try to repair, but can't see how to open them without damaging the case. Do you remember how it's done, and can you please tell me the trick?