PDA

View Full Version : SB3 direct to Naim POWER amp

muggo
2008-07-01, 09:17
I have a spare Naim NAP140 power amp with a 4 pin DIN input & std speaker outputs.
I reckon if I get the right cable with DIN at 1 end & RCA at the other, I should be able to connect the SB3 direct to the power amp & make a minimalist but good sounding system (after adding speakers!). I'd use the SB3 volume button to control the volume.
In theory, it sounds great, but has anyone tried it? If so, what are the pinouts as Naim & Quad amps are wired differently & I could be making an expensive mistake.
I've searched the forums & can't see anyone has asked this before.
Many thanks. Paul

Phil Leigh
2008-07-01, 12:21
I have a spare Naim NAP140 power amp with a 4 pin DIN input & std speaker outputs.
I reckon if I get the right cable with DIN at 1 end & RCA at the other, I should be able to connect the SB3 direct to the power amp & make a minimalist but good sounding system (after adding speakers!). I'd use the SB3 volume button to control the volume.
In theory, it sounds great, but has anyone tried it? If so, what are the pinouts as Naim & Quad amps are wired differently & I could be making an expensive mistake.
I've searched the forums & can't see anyone has asked this before.
Many thanks. Paul

Paul - yes it will work. I'd get Russ Andrews to make up a lead using his most basic (cheapish) cable) as he has lots of experience with Naim pinouts. Alternatively, get the soldering iron out. In this particular scenario you cant do any damage to your amp.

mudlark
2008-07-01, 14:34
Hi

I connected my SB direct to a quad 405. When i turned the thing on the volume seemed to be set at 50% which is spot on with my quad. My quad has had the input sensitivity reduced to about that of more recent power amps.

I would guess it would be wise to turn the output from the SB to about 25% for some added safety before you connect up the power amp.

If you want the pin arrangements for the Naim it should be shown on the back of the case.

jeremy
2008-07-02, 01:03
Naim helpfully provide the wiring pinout details on page 12 of the manual which you'll find at http://www.naim-audio.com/download/man_poweramps.pdf

HTH
Jeremy ;-)