PDA

View Full Version : Best practices: SqueezeCenter (flac) to iPod

Klaus
2008-06-30, 23:27
Hello

I'm just curious if there is a more comfortable way to get the music from SC to the iPod. I have about 60k flac song's on my SC. So I just want to add some CD's from this collection to my iPod. Currently the way I do is, I log on to the shared drive, where the music resides. Copy all tracks I want to add to my local drive. Use frontAh to convert the music to mp3. Add the music to mp3 and sync it to my ipod.

I'm asking myself is there not a nicer way to do this. What I'm imagining is on the webinterface choosing download as mp3-zip or whatever, then just click the file and all flac's from the cd or playlist are transcoded on the server and downloaded as zip-file. so at least the music has only to be added to itunes and especially the complete family can have access to the webinterface for downloading music (don't like to give to many permissions to the shared drive, as the collection is a many-weeks work ;-)

thanks for any hint's, ideas, etc
klaus

Nonreality
2008-07-01, 03:01
If you don't mind paying for a program, Mediamonkey can move and convert music on the fly to an Ipod. It can also do a version of mp3gain and volume equalize the tracks on the fly. It's a great program for organizing a library and working with portable players. I have multiple players (Rockboxed Sansa E270, Rockboxed Nano, Ipod 2g Nano and an 80gB Classic) so it's nice for keeping them happy.

egd
2008-07-01, 03:51
I'm just curious if there is a more comfortable way to get the music from SC to the iPod. I have about 60k flac song's on my SC. So I just want to add some CD's from this collection to my iPod. Currently the way I do is, I log on to the shared drive, where the music resides. Copy all tracks I want to add to my local drive. Use frontAh to convert the music to mp3. Add the music to mp3 and sync it to my ipod.Have a look at flac2mp3 written by Robin Bowes http://projects.robinbowes.com/flac2mp3/trac. It is a script that automates the mp3 creation process as well as FLAC/ MP3 library and tag synchronisation without having to copy your FLAC files anywhere.

MuckleEck
2008-07-01, 05:06
I would have to concur with Nonreality, as a user of MediaMonkey with multiple ipods I setup a playlist for each ipod and then just tell MediaMonkey to sync to the relevant playlist when the ipod is connected.

Nonreality
2008-07-01, 14:52
Converting the flacs is the easy part, getting them on the Ipod without Itunes is the hard part as it is a proprietary system. Apple doesn't want to make it easy to use anything but Itunes. Thats one of the main reasons for Rockbox but it only works on selected Ipods. It's really nice not having to start Itunes and just being able to drag and drop from explorer. (or in my case Directory Opus) But for people that want to just have a Flac library, the advantage of Mediamonkey is that it can convert to mp3 during the transfer so you don't have to have mp3's laying around your drive if you don't use them for anything else. I keep 2 library's as I have too many legacy mp3's and many devices that use them, so it makes more sense to have both.

JimC
2008-07-01, 18:19
Hello

I'm just curious if there is a more comfortable way to get the music from SC to the iPod. I have about 60k flac song's on my SC. So I just want to add some CD's from this collection to my iPod. Currently the way I do is, I log on to the shared drive, where the music resides. Copy all tracks I want to add to my local drive. Use frontAh to convert the music to mp3. Add the music to mp3 and sync it to my ipod.

I'm asking myself is there not a nicer way to do this. What I'm imagining is on the webinterface choosing download as mp3-zip or whatever, then just click the file and all flac's from the cd or playlist are transcoded on the server and downloaded as zip-file. so at least the music has only to be added to itunes and especially the complete family can have access to the webinterface for downloading music (don't like to give to many permissions to the shared drive, as the collection is a many-weeks work ;-)

klaus

If you're running Windows, you might try Anapod Explorer from Red Chair Software (www.redchairsoftware.com). Just select the files, right-click and transfer to the iPod. It transcodes the files on the fly.

-=> Jim

Klaus
2008-07-01, 22:40
thanks for your ideas, I have used anapod, but once it just killed my ipod, so had to reinstall the os ;-) rockbox i tested and works great, but can't put rockbox on my new iphone ;-( .. so will give a look at mediamonkey, sounds quite cool.

but then remains the question, how do you download and album from your SC if you don't have direct access to the files?

Nonreality
2008-07-02, 02:12
thanks for your ideas, I have used anapod, but once it just killed my ipod, so had to reinstall the os ;-) rockbox i tested and works great, but can't put rockbox on my new iphone ;-( .. so will give a look at mediamonkey, sounds quite cool.

but then remains the question, how do you download and album from your SC if you don't have direct access to the files?I've read nothing but bad about Anapod. Mainly about the company not fixing things and not responding to problems. Ilounge has all kinds of bad posts there so I stayed away from it. I think it does work well but it's kinda spooky when it goes bad.

SamS
2008-07-05, 22:05
I recently conquered this obstacle myself. I guess I don't know what you mean by "not having direct access to the files"?

I have my entire collection as FLAC files. I use dbpoweramp batch converter (free). With this program, you browse for the FLAC files (you'll need plugins for FLAC/AAC) and select a destination folder for the re-coded audio. I have it create artist/album folder while it's at it, and send it into my iTunes Music Library folder as the destination for converted m4a files.

Once it's done converting, I go to the iTunes Music folder, and drag/drop the newly-created folder into my open iTunes. Viola, it's now in the iTunes Library file as well. Now I can transfer to iPod or whatever.

Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I find it simple and easy to get my FLACs into a compressed iPod-friendly format. However, the FLAC->AAC conversion can be time-consuming if your PC is older.

Pascal Hibon
2008-07-05, 23:25
Hello

klaus

This is one of the reasons why I use wav format for my digital music library. Wav is uncompressed (same quality as lossless) and is supported by many devices. And storage cost is no longer an issue today.
I have iTunes organizing my library, and I simply use wav files on my iPod (video 30G) as well.

Ning
2008-07-05, 23:55
Like others I also find media monkey really easy to use and have set up a folder as a sync dest instead of transcoding on the fly. eac to flac, media monkey to tag & replay gain, then sync to flac2mp3 folder for syncing with multiple ipods.

Nonreality
2008-07-06, 02:34
This is one of the reasons why I use wav format for my digital music library. Wav is uncompressed (same quality as lossless) and is supported by many devices. And storage cost is no longer an issue today.
I have iTunes organizing my library, and I simply use wav files on my iPod (video 30G) as well.I would use apple lossless before wav. I know you can tag wav but's it far inferior to a lossless format for tagging and space. I really can't see why anyone would use wav for a portable device. Even with storage being cheap you can still store twice the amount of files with a lossless and tag them as well as any lossy file. Why would you use up twice the hd space for no reason and much worse tagging capabilities? You do realize that the wav tags in Itunes are in the library and not in the files. At least I think that's the way it works in Itunes with wav although I have been know to be wrong once or twice before. :)

Pascal Hibon
2008-07-06, 03:10
I would use apple lossless before wav. I know you can tag wav but's it far inferior to a lossless format for tagging and space. I really can't see why anyone would use wav for a portable device. Even with storage being cheap you can still store twice the amount of files with a lossless and tag them as well as any lossy file. Why would you use up twice the hd space for no reason and much worse tagging capabilities?

I used Apple lossless before. But then I bought a Palm TX (yeah really), and that device didnít support Apple lossless. Stubborn as I am, I was going to use my digital library on my Palm. So, I converted everything to AAC.
That didnít last for very long time either. My next purchase was a Denon HD2500 Media player. Guess what? Denon doesnít support AAC, it only supports mp3 (no way) and wav. So, I had to re-rip everything again. This time I chose wav because:

1) Should I need a different format in the future again then wav can be easily converted.
2) WAV is uncompressed unlike mp3 (and AAC ...)
3) I want only one library for all my digital music players

This is one of the biggest issues today with digital music. They all seem to support different formats. Anyway, wave is the common format for all my digital music players (SqueezeBox, iPod, HD2500 and Palm TX). So wave it is.

You do realize that the wav tags in Itunes are in the library and not in the files. At least I think that's the way it works in Itunes with wav although I have been know to be wrong once or twice before. :)

Yes I know and youíre not wrong. But since I needed my wav files to be tagged for the Denon player, I created an application that reads the iTunes library and writes the ID3v2.3 tags into my wav files. My application uses the COM SDK from Apple. Works perfect and SC is happy with that as well. Now all my digital music players are happy with my digital library.

amey01
2008-07-06, 04:34
There's a simple solution to this - APPLE LOSSLESS - ALAC - Apple Lossless is the same as FLAC (sound quality wise) and is usable by BOTH SlimServer/SqueezeCentre and the iPod.

Almost too perfect a solution, right?

trotsky10
2008-07-09, 01:38
I use foobar with columnsGUI plugin to give a itunes like interface and the ipod plugin to convert from flac to mp3 on the fly.

Main reason I never changed to media monkey is that you have to pay for flac compatibility (at least you used to) wheareas foobar is free though you have to configure it to get it running how you want it.

cooppw02
2008-07-09, 03:27
For Linux users, I've found MP3FS to be a very elegant solution to this problem. You point MP3FS at a directory full of FLACs, and it creates a virtual directory full of MP3s. Only the MP3s don't exist anywhere on a disk, but are transcoded on-the-fly from the FLACs.

Only downside to this approach is that it's pretty resource-intensive operation.