PDA

View Full Version : Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

mvalera
2008-06-30, 14:53
Since we upgraded the forum servers last week, we have now decided to change the forum read marking to a database driven method based on username activity.

This means that read/unread forums and threads markings will now be based on your actual forum use over the last 10 days. Threads older than 10 days (with no activity since) will be marked as read automatically.

We're so 21st century now!

Mike

davep
2008-06-30, 17:21
Mike,
this is actually something I had wanted for some time, as someone whose normal method of browsing the forums is to click on "New Posts" but who can sometimes get interrupted in a session and lose the tagging of unread new posts of genuine interest before the next session.

However when I did New Posts this morning I got 397 items shown which includes dozens of ones I will never want to read (NAS configuration anyone?) and lots that I can't read (German, French, etc). As it is this is not my ideal solution - a 10 day buffer seems way to much for me.

What I would like is the ability to "wipe the slate clean" at any point and mark all posts as read so that next time I can start with genuine new posts and take it from there.

Is this possible?

davep

snarlydwarf
2008-06-30, 18:19
What I would like is the ability to "wipe the slate clean" at any point and mark all posts as read so that next time I can start with genuine new posts and take it from there.

Is this possible?

Look under Quick Links.

davep
2008-06-30, 22:31
Thanks, Snarly. Despite almost daily visits to these forums I have never looked into the Quick Links menu. Mark Forums Read does just what I need.

davep

JJZolx
2008-07-01, 09:41
Look under Quick Links.

In each individual forum there's also a 'Mark This Forum Read' under 'Forum Tools'.

JJZolx
2008-07-01, 09:46
This means that read/unread forums and threads markings will now be based on your actual forum use over the last 10 days. Threads older than 10 days will be marked as read automatically.

Can the 10 days be made a user adjustable option? I visit the forums pretty much daily, so 10 days would be a long time to leave things marked unread.

mvalera
2008-07-01, 11:42
Sorry not understanding you...

Forum marking happens as you visit threads and forums immediately.

Your records are only kept for the last 10 days for space reasons... we have a lot of users. As a result all forums/threads that you have not visited, and that have not had activity in the last 10 days are just marked as read because we no longer have the records based on your activity.

Does that make more sense?

The 10 days thing is not user selectable it's a global setting... I could extended that if there is a lot of people that want forum marking to be tracked for a longer period, but I don't want to put an excessive load on the server.

Mike

mvalera
2008-07-01, 11:51
This is the definition of the "Database Read Marking Limit" that is currently set to 10 days:

"Database Read Marking Limit
With "database read marking", the unread markers on threads and forums are persistent across forum sessions. If a user does not read a thread that is marked as unread, then that thread will remain unread every time the user visits the forum.

This setting allows you to force unread markers to switch to "read" after a so many days. This would be the amount of time after which the user probably has no interest in reading that thread and therefore does not need to know that it contains unread posts."

JJZolx
2008-07-01, 12:04
The 10 days thing is not user selectable it's a global setting... I could extended that if there is a lot of people that want forum marking to be tracked for a longer period, but I don't want to put an excessive load on the server.

Got it. I was just asking whether the vbulletin admin permitted making it a user option. I'd prefer something shorter than 10 days, but it's not at all important.

mr-b
2008-07-08, 00:32
Hi

I reported in http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=49553 that all the slim forum RSS feeds seem to be broken since 26th June and was alerted to this thread.

Anyone know if the upgrade affected RSS?

Millwood
2008-07-08, 15:23
Just one user's opinion.

I really liked the mode in which visiting one of the forums was equivalent to marking it all read.

In the rare cases when I needed to try again, the last posted date/time was adequate to find things that I hadn't seen - but normally I'd open the forum, glance at the unread, choose which I was interested in, and I was done.

I'd love to have the option to continue in that mode.

PRGeno
2008-07-09, 21:22
Just one user's opinion.

I really liked the mode in which visiting one of the forums was equivalent to marking it all read.

In the rare cases when I needed to try again, the last posted date/time was adequate to find things that I hadn't seen - but normally I'd open the forum, glance at the unread, choose which I was interested in, and I was done.

I'd love to have the option to continue in that mode.

I'd have to agree. This new mode is not my favorite way to fly.

jsharper
2008-07-27, 13:53
Thank you for enabling the new setting!

Count me as a vote to bump it up a bit.. maybe 20-30?

Milhouse
2008-07-27, 23:25
I'd have to agree. This new mode is not my favorite way to fly.

+1

I've been wondering what was wrong with this forum recently - I haven't checked-in for a few weeks - but the "upgrade" would make sense.... threads I'm subscribed to and have just posted in don't then appear in New Posts, and when they do appear in New Posts (usually when someone else has posted in the thread) the threads aren't listed with the subscribed threads indicator. I suppose this is all explained by this new marking method, though maybe not the lack of thread subsription indicators, but I don't like it.

Can we have the choice to go back to the old marking method?

jsharper
2008-07-28, 09:36
threads I'm subscribed to and have just posted in don't then appear in New Posts

Why would/should it show in New Posts when you are the last one who posted? By definition, if you posted the last post, then you have seen the most recent post in that thread (you wrote it!), in which case there is nothing new in there that you haven't seen. "New" is supposed to mean "new to you -- something you haven't seen yet" not "new to the forum -- recent posts"

funkstar
2008-07-28, 11:04
We are splitting hairs here, but for me not seeing posts i'd recently read or posted in included in the "New Posts" search was confusing at first, mainly because thats how all my other forums work.

It also makes it *slightly* harder to work out what is new since the last time you hit New Posts in the same session as there isn't a bunch of non-bold read threads marking where you were :)

Milhouse
2008-07-28, 12:14
Why would/should it show in New Posts when you are the last one who posted? By definition, if you posted the last post, then you have seen the most recent post in that thread (you wrote it!), in which case there is nothing new in there that you haven't seen. "New" is supposed to mean "new to you -- something you haven't seen yet" not "new to the forum -- recent posts"

Because that's the way it's always worked on forums and it's what I am (and I'm sure many others are) used to seeing - not seeing it appear led me to believe something was broken with the forum indexing, now I understand it's a configuration change that someone thought was a good idea and has made a global setting. Not really sure I fully understand the reason for the change, but I'd have thought offering the option for members to continue with the "old" way (which is standard on just about every forum) would have been a good idea.

JJZolx
2008-07-28, 13:51
New Posts works exactly as I'd expect. I like that it has a divider between those threads that have new posts made since my last visit. I wouldn't expect a post in which I was the last poster to appear on this page, since there's no new content. Try Quick Links > Subscribed Threads.

funkstar
2008-07-29, 00:06
Not really sure I fully understand the reason for the change, but I'd have thought offering the option for members to continue with the "old" way (which is standard on just about every forum) would have been a good idea.
The main reason for it as I see it is you can be browsing the forums, get called away to do something (or even just need to get a coffee or go to the toilet) and not have the forum time out on you meaning you loose what was "new" when you load a page.

The change is a global change because that is the only option. It cannot be a user option.

Milhouse
2008-07-29, 03:17
The main reason for it as I see it is you can be browsing the forums, get called away to do something (or even just need to get a coffee or go to the toilet) and not have the forum time out on you meaning you loose what was "new" when you load a page.

The change is a global change because that is the only option. It cannot be a user option.

Thanks - I guess I'll get used to it! :)