PDA

View Full Version : Direction of synchronization?

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-29, 17:00
I'm listening to a playlist in the living-room. I decide that I'd like to hear it in the kitchen as well, perhaps replacing whatever playlist is in the kitchen at the moment. How do I do it?

The answer seems to be that it depends on which mechanism I'm using to synchronise.

I *think* that if I'm using the IR remote or the Controller, then I need to tell the living room to sync with the kitchen. This is slightly counter-intuitive to me, as "sync with" implies to me that the current player will start playing whatever is playing on the other player; but after several attempts, I'm fairly sure that it's the other way round. So I should think of it as "pushing" the current player's playlist to the "sync with" player. I guess that "push" makes more sense if you're syncing multiple players.

However, today I happened to be using the (default) webface when I wanted to sync; and so, following the same logic, I made sure that the current player was Living Room, went to Audio / Sync, chose Kitchen from the list and hit Apply. Hey presto! My carefully-constructed living-room playlist was unrecoverably overwritten with the album I'd been playing in the kitchen last night. Grr!

All the documentation I've seen on synchronisation (OK, a quick skim of the manuals and a quick search of the wiki) makes no mention whatsoever of how to make sure that sync happens in a particular direction. So is there a definitive statement about this somewhere?

Yes, I know about GrabPlaylist, but that's not what I wanted in this case, as I really did want the players to be in sync, and didn't want to lose the playlist from the living-room.

-- Brian

peterw
2008-06-29, 18:37
I'm listening to a playlist in the living-room. I decide that I'd like to hear it in the kitchen as well, perhaps replacing whatever playlist is in the kitchen at the moment. How do I do it?

The answer seems to be that it depends on which mechanism I'm using to synchronise.

That's right.

Prior to SqueezeCenter 7.0, sync meant "join up with". With SC 7.0, the Controller only does "take control of" syncing, and the Web UI has both "join up with" syncing (in the Player Settings area) and "take control of" syncing (on the main page of the fancy new default Web skin). The IR remote interface (Squeezebox Classic and Transporter) still uses the "join up with" model.

See http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6806

-Peter