PDA

View Full Version : Setup IP or FQDN ?

bluegroper
2008-06-29, 15:21
When I setup a new SB, it asks for the IP address of the SqueezeCenter or SlimServer.
I wanna put my SC on a server that has a dynamic IP address, and uses a dyn-dns service.
How can I use an FQDN rather than an quad dotted IP ?

Nonreality
2008-06-29, 16:33
Not sure how those work but don't you have a regular IP for you home network? Isn't that for the outgoing www? I've got to read up on that. :)

bluegroper
2008-06-29, 16:50
Yes, my SB3 is presently at home.
When not streaming music (from server also at home), I like to turn off my server. Its quieter that way, and I can sleep better.
But I also like to use the Weather Plugin on SB3 (dimmed), even when home server is off.
Or listen to a radio stream, or use the SB3 alarm, ...
When not listening to locally served music, I'd like to connect to a different SC at work, where I have a server running 24/7.
IP address at work is dynamic, but also uses a dyn-dns service.
(Actually, we use no-ip.com, but they all work much the same way.)
So, how to do ?
Or is this one of the few disadvantages of the SB, that it can only work when tethered to a local SC server that is actually switched on ?

Nonreality
2008-06-29, 22:50
Good question. I think it would have a better chance on a regular IP though. Softsqueeze can do that I believe so maybe the SB can. It's just never came up before at least that I've read.

snarlydwarf
2008-06-29, 23:32
Yes, my SB3 is presently at home.
When not streaming music (from server also at home), I like to turn off my server. Its quieter that way, and I can sleep better.
But I also like to use the Weather Plugin on SB3 (dimmed), even when home server is off.
Or listen to a radio stream, or use the SB3 alarm, ...
When not listening to locally served music, I'd like to connect to a different SC at work, where I have a server running 24/7.
IP address at work is dynamic, but also uses a dyn-dns service.
(Actually, we use no-ip.com, but they all work much the same way.)
So, how to do ?

You can do all that except the Weather Plugin with Squeezenetwork.

Or is this one of the few disadvantages of the SB, that it can only work when tethered to a local SC server that is actually switched on ?

It needs to be connected to a server. That can be either local or Squeezenetwork.

bluegroper
2008-06-30, 03:35
Which is why I'd like to be able to configure the SB to point it to a SC server using a FQDN, rather than a quad.dotted.ip.address.

Sike
2008-06-30, 08:57
I have already submited this in bugzilla

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6879

I have a couple of SBs connecting remotley. In Switzerland the Cable-Internet public IPs don't change if you never unplug your modem..

bluegroper
2008-06-30, 15:18
I have already submited this in bugzilla
Great idea.
We too use our local SB and remote SC tucked up inside IpCop firewalled networks. Somethings similar to your m0n0wall setup.

Sike
2008-07-01, 03:28
Somehow I get the feeling that this feature will never make it in to a release. Not many people use SBs externaly.

It's a bit of a shame as a server can host many SBs and this way each haoushold doesn't need to run their own Squeezecenter..

bluegroper
2008-07-01, 04:05
Somehow I get the feeling that this feature will never make it in to a release. Not many people use SBs externaly.
It's a bit of a shame as a server can host many SBs and this way each haoushold doesn't need to run their own Squeezecenter..

What if you'd like to share your entire music collection using a single SC ?
Perhaps share with your neighbours, or even friends from the other side of the datasphere ?
Like you described above.
Seems like a no-brainer, except for the limitation of the quad.dotted.ip.address.
Maybe there's more chance of somebuddies developing a plugin.

radish
2008-07-01, 06:30
What if you'd like to share your entire music collection using a single SC ?
Perhaps share with your neighbours, or even friends from the other side of the datasphere ?

You can do that now, you just need a ststic IP (and a good lawyer!). The only limitation is that the SB firware doesn't know how to do a DNS lookup for a server name. I wouldn't have thought it'd be a big change as I'm pretty sure it finds SN via DNS so the client code is there.

Maybe there's more chance of somebuddies developing a plugin.
It's firmware, so no.

Sike
2008-07-01, 07:58
You can do that now, you just need a ststic IP

:) That is why we are asking for a FQDN, so there is no need for a static IP.

(and a good lawyer!).

Or just know how to set up a router. I have it set up with rules on top of the NAT, so only certain IPs can connect.

Sike
2008-07-01, 08:01
Perhaps share with your neighbours, or even friends from the other side of the datasphere

that what I am doing right now. There are about 20 SB's connecting to my server right now. I even have a friend with a SB2 in New York connecting to my server.

bluegroper
2008-07-01, 15:31
The more I think about the SB fixation with quad.dotted.ip.addresses,
the more it surprises me.
Lotsa home setups use a dhcp server in their modem/router, and every host on the home lan gets a dynamic ip allocated by that dhcp server.
So why can't an SB find the SS or SC by hostname (which is usually fixed),
rather than ip address (which is often dynamic).
Seems an interesting design decision.

andynormancx
2008-07-01, 16:36
The more I think about the SB fixation with quad.dotted.ip.addresses,
the more it surprises me.
Lotsa home setups use a dhcp server in their modem/router, and every host on the home lan gets a dynamic ip allocated by that dhcp server.
So why can't an SB find the SS or SC by hostname (which is usually fixed),
rather than ip address (which is often dynamic).
Seems an interesting design decision.

A couple of likely reasons. Firstly when you say that the hostnames on most home lans are fixed, I assume that you are talking about Windows mainly.

The look up from hostname to IP address on such a lan does not occur via any open Internet standard. Some proprietary Windows magic does it (I forget at the moment what it is called, it starts with "win"), which doesn't always work as well as it should. So if they wanted to use that mechanism the SBs would have to implement said Windows magic, which would be likely to not work on many Linux/BSD/OSX based networks.

Secondly, the approach that the SBs take to find the SS means that in most situations you never have to enter either the IP address or the hostname of the server. If they used a hostname based approach to configure the SB to connect to the server then most of their users that the current mechanism just works for would have more work to do when setting up their systems.

The current broadcast discovery mechanism also allows the SBs to discover more that one SC and let the user choose between them.

bluegroper
2008-07-01, 20:43
The current broadcast discovery mechanism also allows the SBs to discover more that one SC and let the user choose between them.
Agreed of course, which overcomes the SS/SC dynamic ip address in many home situations.
I often forget that there are a few folks still using windoze.

Sike
2008-07-02, 00:12

Like me :)

W2K3 Server - Guilty

radish
2008-07-02, 07:00

:s/few/majority of/g

:)

bluegroper
2008-07-07, 03:44
Can SqueezeNetwork work the Alarms thingy too ?

radish
2008-07-07, 09:10
Yes, SN supports daily alarms.

bluegroper
2008-07-07, 15:11
I've tried the alternatives, and decided that a connection from SB (at home) to a remote SS/SC (at work) is my preferred option.
Since a VPN connection (OpenVPN, or Ipsec) can easily overcome the vagaries of dynamic ip addresses at both ends, it gives a good as "permanent" connection from SB to SS/SC.
Seems a heavy-duty solution to a simple problem.
The better (and light-weight) solution would be the ability to enter FQDN address into SB.
nuf sed