PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch vs Duet Controller

mswlogo
2008-06-28, 18:50
Since iPod Touch is $299 and Duet Controller is $299 it's tough choice.

I've used an iPhone and the screen is very good.

I realize the iPod Touch would not be as customized as a Duet Controller but it would be very versatile.

Has anyone compared the pros and cons of each?

I know a while back there was a plugin to support some Nokia devices I assume there must be one for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

One advantage of the Duet is I understan it has a IR emmiter that could eventually run my whole system.

EDIT: There is an iPhone / iPod Touch Plugin http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46294&highlight=%22iPod+Touch%22

JJZolx
2008-06-28, 19:37
I've used an iPhone and the screen is very good.

Just so you know - the iPhone offers the same functionality as the iPod Touch. So if you already have an iPhone...

pfarrell
2008-06-28, 19:49
JJZolx wrote:
> Just so you know - the iPhone offers the same functionality as the iPod
> Touch. So if you already have an iPhone...

Almost true. The iPhone is also a cell phone.
I know, hardly anyone uses it as a phone, and the reviews say its not a
great phone.....

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

JJZolx
2008-06-28, 20:01
> Just so you know - the iPhone offers the same functionality as the iPod
> Touch. So if you already have an iPhone...

Almost true. The iPhone is also a cell phone.
I know, hardly anyone uses it as a phone, and the reviews say its not a
great phone.....

The same wifi and browser functionality with respect to using iPeng and SqueezeCenter.

I see a lot of iPhones in use and expect that number to jump considerably when the 3G comes out in a few weeks. The reviews so far have been pretty good.

http://gizmodo.com/5014732/3g-iphone-first-hands-on

auronthas
2008-06-28, 20:06
Well, IMO, the only shortcoming is you need two fingers to scroll down page, hopefully with the upcoming software version 2.0, the problem will be resolved.

Not to forget a wonderful ipeng plugin that Pippin created. Thanks.

Cheers.

egd
2008-06-28, 20:08
Since iPod Touch is $299 and Duet Controller is $299 it's tough choice.Owning and having used both I'd opt for the iPod Touch with Pippin's skin. The Controller is unreliable.

gharris999
2008-06-28, 20:57
I have and use both. Personally, I'm waiting for two developments: audio stream playback on the SBC (due with SC 7.2) and the advent of a native app (with audio stream playback) on the touch (due sometime after July 11th.)

amcluesent
2008-06-29, 03:10
Until the SBC infra-red is actived and has some app. support, I'll be keeping my Pronto as main controller. If a need artwork, I'll just use my mobile phone (it has wi-fi).

mctubster
2008-06-29, 05:15
I have both.

The screen on the iPhone / Touch is superb. The iPeng interface is very good, however there are a few drawbacks to the Touch

1 / No dedicated keys. The Duet allows instant access to Pause, Volume, Skip etc.
2 / Battery life ..... the Touch has to go into standby mode after a few minutes to last the day. It takes seconds to wake up and unlock. The duet has a motion sensor and wakes up as soon as you touch it. The battery lasts for a day of heavy use or more
3 / Navigating both iPeng and the Duet have issues.

Personally I use the Duet more. I have an iPhone and have it in my pocket all of the time, but still prefer the duet.

BTW personally the iPhone is superb as a smart phone. It has issues, but beats the P900s, XDAII's, S60 series I have tried. It least the damn thing makes reliable phone calls!

Cheers
Steve

EnochLight
2008-06-29, 19:32
JJZolx wrote:[color=blue]
I know, hardly anyone uses it (iPhone) as a phone, and the reviews say its not a great phone.....

--
Pat Farrell

Pat, I'm a bit shocked at this statement - as it's totally false. Most of the millions of iPhone owners - me being one of them - can vouch that it's a superb phone. It's no worse than most out there, especially with the advanced functionality that iPhone users carry (mobile Safari - the best mobile phone browser out there).

I make and receive calls without issue, they sound fine, etc.

gharris999
2008-06-29, 19:37
I have both.

The screen on the iPhone / Touch is superb. The iPeng interface is very good, however there are a few drawbacks to the Touch

1 / No dedicated keys. The Duet allows instant access to Pause, Volume, Skip etc.
2 / Battery life ..... the Touch has to go into standby mode after a few minutes to last the day. It takes seconds to wake up and unlock. The duet has a motion sensor and wakes up as soon as you touch it. The battery lasts for a day of heavy use or more

Personally I use the Duet more. I have an iPhone and have it in my pocket all of the time, but still prefer the duet.

BTW personally the iPhone is superb as a smart phone. It has issues, but beats the P900s, XDAII's, S60 series I have tried. It least the damn thing makes reliable phone calls!

Cheers
Steve
You've described my experience with my iPod Touch & SBCs perfectly.

pfarrell
2008-06-29, 19:46
EnochLight wrote:
> Pat, I'm a bit shocked at this statement - as it's totally false.

Mostly false?
Somewhat false?

OK, I know lots of geeks who bought iPhones the first day, and some even
use it as a phone. I was slightly exaggerating for effect.

> of the millions of iPhone owners - me being one of them - can vouch that
> it's a superb phone. It's no worse than most out there,

er, your own comment is part that proves my point. Its been at least a
decade since a cell phone was sold as a phone and not a email device
that can send SMS and do twitter. No vendor talks about voice quality
anymore, and with many phones, its really not very good.

Being "no worse" is not at all the same as being good at being a phone.

Its all about features, and the iPhone, even v1, has tons of great features.

I have two iPhones that we use as browsers for demos, its great, and the
fans love them. (Both the phone and the demo). I expect that the V2/3G
phone will be even better.

And any iPhone is a better Controller than my Motorola Razr.
That is really not the question, the question was "is the iPhone a
better Controller than a real Controller"

I have a real Controller, but don't have an iPhone with my stereo, so I
can't answer the OP's question.

--
Pat Farrell

adamslim
2008-06-30, 05:01
I have both (and a Nokia 770 and an Asus Eee - all get used as Squeezebox controllers occasionally!).

If funds are tight and you fancy getting a mobile wifi browser, get an iPod Touch. It gives most of the use of the Controller, and is the best wifi mobile browser out there. Lovely product.

However, if you just want a remote control for your music, the Controller is better. The scrolling is better (although the iPeng is good), the keys are useful and it's more intuitive. Put it in the hands of a friend and it takes 10 seconds to explain how it works (mainly the difference between play and add); then they're choosing music and thinking about buying one themselves!

Neither works 100%. Wifi has issues, and such things are never going to be bug-free. I still like to have my old IR remote within reach, in case the phone goes and I need to turn it down without having to wait for a wifi handshake! The Controller is better in this respect, but still not perfect.

I consider them complementary products - no reason not to get both, IMO :)

PRGeno
2008-06-30, 05:24
I had both, and both are far from perfect in their use as a controller.

I returned the Controller because it's screen is not good outdoors, and is no match for the iPhone/Touch screen. You also get far more for your money, more than just a controller for your $299, with the iPhone/Touch as well.

The iPhone/Touch and iPeng has it's issues too. Most of them are due to the shortcomings of Safari, which hopefully gets corrected with the 2.0/3G software release July 11th.

It's fully expected that both will have software improvements over time. But the poor screen performance of the Controller was a show stopper for me.

Sike
2008-06-30, 08:40
iPeng is great, the only drawback is that it has to reload the pages which takes a couple of seconds each time. If it goes native, i'm getting myself an iTouch/Phone

mr_bill
2008-06-30, 10:29
Hi,
Do the Controller and the iTouch both support the weather forecast and condition plug ins and do they show on the screens?
I just watched the YouTube video on the controller and it looks really good. I have no idea how the iTouch would work but it does have more uses which is nice.
Thanks,
Bill

MikV
2008-06-30, 10:47
Does slimfx work with safari? If so, you won't have to wait for any refresh while navigating...

erland
2008-06-30, 21:55
Does slimfx work with safari? If so, you won't have to wait for any refresh while navigating...

The iPod Touch doesn't support flash yet, so unfortunately it can't run slimfx.

EnochLight
2008-07-04, 22:29
EnochLight wrote:
> Pat, I'm a bit shocked at this statement - as it's totally false.

Mostly false?
Somewhat false?

OK, I know lots of geeks who bought iPhones the first day, and some even
use it as a phone. I was slightly exaggerating for effect.

> of the millions of iPhone owners - me being one of them - can vouch that
> it's a superb phone. It's no worse than most out there,

er, your own comment is part that proves my point. Its been at least a
decade since a cell phone was sold as a phone and not a email device
that can send SMS and do twitter. No vendor talks about voice quality
anymore, and with many phones, its really not very good.

Being "no worse" is not at all the same as being good at being a phone.

Its all about features, and the iPhone, even v1, has tons of great features.

I have two iPhones that we use as browsers for demos, its great, and the
fans love them. (Both the phone and the demo). I expect that the V2/3G
phone will be even better.

And any iPhone is a better Controller than my Motorola Razr.
That is really not the question, the question was "is the iPhone a
better Controller than a real Controller"

I have a real Controller, but don't have an iPhone with my stereo, so I
can't answer the OP's question.

--
Pat Farrell

More than mostly false; I'd still stick with just plain false. ;-) My statement was in response to your statement here:

I know, hardly anyone uses it (iPhone) as a phone, and the reviews say its not a great phone.....

I'm having a hard time following your point. With all due respect, you appear to be mincing words to prove something. Hardly anyone uses it as a phone? The reviews say it's not a great phone? Most of the reviews I have read on the net - and on freaking Time magazine as "Invention of the Year" (October 31, 2007 issue) state (if I may paraphrase) that's it's a pretty decent phone - among the other things. And call quality sounds no worse than any other phone I have used in the past 15 years IMHO. Now you may think that sounding no worse is not the same as being a good phone, but I digress - it is a good phone.

If most of your friends that bought it don't use it as a phone, then you should question their judgment to purchase a device which generally requires a 2 year cellular phone company contract to use it to its full capacity. They should have bought an iPod Touch instead!

pfarrell
2008-07-04, 22:42
EnochLight wrote:
> If most of your friends that bought it don't use it as a phone, then
> you should question their judgment to purchase a device which generally
> requires a 2 year cellular phone company contract to use it to its full
> capacity. They should have bought an iPod Touch instead!

No, they wanted an iPhone, because its cool. And they can justify its
coolness because its an OK phone. Like nearly all other cell phones, the
market is about cool features, not phone stuff like clarity of voice,
picking up the whole conversation, etc.

I'm not at all clear what you are arguing about. Its a cool device that
can work as a cell phone.

It costs $2000 and lots of folks gladly pay that. There are folks
standing in line in NYC right now, and it won't be for sale for another
week.

I am a bit taken back by the spin that Apple lowered the price on the
new 3G version. Sure they lowered the selling price, but AT&T raised the
contract cost, so over the two years that you must sign up for, the cost
hasn't changed. The new AT&T "unlimited" plan is amazingly expensive.

If you want an iPhone, and can accidentally use it to control your
SqueezeBoxen, Transporters, etc. then by all means go for it.

IMHO, a 30 year old Western Electric phone is a much better phone than
any cell phone.

--
Pat Farrell

EnochLight
2008-07-06, 00:37
wrote:[color=blue]
I'm not at all clear what you are arguing about. Its a cool device that
can work as a cell phone.

Sorry, not arguing - just felt your original statement was pretty off base. You said hardly anyone uses it as a phone (false) and that reviews say its not a good phone (mostly false, as most I have read state that it's a decent phone).

It costs $2000 and lots of folks gladly pay that...I am a bit taken back by the spin that Apple lowered the price on the new 3G version. Sure they lowered the selling price, but AT&T raised the contract cost, so over the two years that you must sign up for, the cost hasn't changed.

Actually, the cost has gone up. I think the most recent calculations I've seen price the new iPhone 3G at an average of $160 *MORE* than the original over the entire contract term (and that's without text messaging I think)! So can one warrant the excessive cost for the iPhone? Some may, some may not. It's all about what one is willing to spend for the convenience I suppose.

IMHO, a 30 year old Western Electric phone is a much better phone than any cell phone.

Heheh, well Pat - I'm sure there are many that prefer a stone tablet and chisel to the printing press. Enjoy that Western Electric! ;-)

mswlogo
2008-07-15, 18:34
I have both.

Cheers
Steve

This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably go for a Duet.