PDA

View Full Version : music folders slow

Jac
2008-06-28, 01:51
I am using Squeezecenter with a duet setup. In general browsing the library through artist and album runs fine. But when going with the music library it is very slow. Basically I have created 2 directories in my library directory. One of the has all my FLAC albums with one sub directory per album and the other directory contains all of my 6000 MP3 (no subdirectory). When I acces my FLAC directory no problem (probably because it has all the subdirectories??). But when I accsss my MP3 it is very slow in squeezecenter, and on my duet controller it is worse as it will eventually timeout and restart the controller after one minute of waiting. I cleaned my tags to the simplest it can be (only the title and artist. no art, album, etc...). I called support and they made me try a few things which did not really help.

I am not sure if it is a bug or my music files as these filled had no problems with other players WMP, itune,winamp.. anyone have a suestion

mherger
2008-06-28, 02:04
> in my library directory. One of the has all my FLAC albums with one
> sub directory per album and the other directory contains all of my 6000
> MP3 (no subdirectory). When I acces my FLAC directory no problem
> (probably because it has all the subdirectories??).

Correct. In the case of the MP3 files it has to analyze 6000 tracks before
displaying the list.

> my MP3 it is very slow in squeezecenter, and on my duet controller it
> is worse as it will eventually timeout and restart the controller after

see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47421#2

> one minute of waiting. I cleaned my tags to the simplest it can be
> (only the title and artist. no art, album, etc...). I called support
> and they made me try a few things which did not really help.

You better get your collection organized. Having thousands of files in one
folder is asking for trouble.

Michael

Jac
2008-06-28, 02:43
[QUOTE=mherger;315573]> in my library directory. One of the has all my FLAC albums with one
> Correct. In the case of the MP3 files it has to analyze 6000 tracks before
>displaying the list.

I thought that this was done only once, which is when I scanned the library. there must be a more efficient way to list the 6000 files without it taking 30 seconds. Furthermore it only displays 50 at a time on squeezecenter

[QUOTE=mherger;315573]> in my library directory. One of the has all my FLAC albums with one
> You better get your collection organized. Having thousands of files in one
> folder is asking for trouble.

Actually my FLACS are well structured. But for my 6000 MP3 I even removed album picture so I can quickly see if it is FLAC or MP3.
Then how would one organize 6000 various titles. I figured that having them in one flat folder and list by filename (artist-title.mp3) was a way to to it, but seems that by design Squeezebox will not do it efficiently

mherger
2008-06-28, 02:57
>> I thought that this was done only once, which is when I scanned the
>> library.

No, BMF will display what you have on the disk, not what's in the DB.

>> > Then how would one organize 6000 various titles.

There are apps out there which can reorganize your files according to
album/artist tags etc.

Michael

JJZolx
2008-06-28, 03:06
> Correct. In the case of the MP3 files it has to analyze 6000 tracks
> before displaying the list.

I thought that this was done only once, which is when I scanned the library. there must be a more efficient way to list the 6000 files without it taking 30 seconds. Furthermore it only displays 50 at a time on squeezecenter

SqueezeCenter always looks to see whether any of the files have changed, so it checks the modified time of every file in the folder against what it has stored in the database for that file. (Whether or not this is a good idea has been debated in the past). Needless to say, with 6000 files, this will take a little while.

The 50 per page thing is an option under Settings > Interface, > Items Per Page. Unfortunately, it's a one-size-fits-all setting and applies to everything shown on a web page - albums, genres, years, artsts, tracks...

Actually my FLACS are well structured.

If you have one folder per album under the root music folder, then you're probably going to end up with a lot of subfolders in that one folder. Most people use an organization of

(root)/Artist/Album

Then how would one organize 6000 various titles. I figured that having them in one flat folder and list by filename (artist-title.mp3) was a way to to it, but seems that by design Squeezebox will not do it efficiently

Browsing Music Folder is almost always slower than browsing by Artist, Album, etc. The number of files in that folder will make it especially so. You might try organizing them by letter, although you'll still have some pretty large folders.

(root)/Singles/A
(root)/Singles/B
(root)/Singles/C

You could also just use the /Artist/Album approach above and create an album for each artist called something like "Single Tracks".

aubuti
2008-06-28, 05:48
[QUOTE=mherger;315573]> You better get your collection organized. Having thousands of files in one
> folder is asking for trouble.[/color]

Actually my FLACS are well structured. But for my 6000 MP3 I even removed album picture so I can quickly see if it is FLAC or MP3.
It's not really that it's inefficient for SB, it's inefficient at the OS level. Try browsing that MP3 directory/folder with your OS's native file management utility and you'll find it's pretty slow just to list the filenames. Michael's comment about having 1000s of files in one folder applies generally, not just to SB.

Jac
2008-06-28, 10:39
Thanks for the comments. I guess I need to do some changes. But the thing is I do not want to mix my 6000 MP3 with My ripped FLAC. I also dont want to do a cleanup of my MP3, it took me long enough to clean the 500 FLAC albums with the artwork and all.

So it seems that I will need to break my MP3 in sub folders. I wonder if 500 files is OK, that would make it to 6 sub folders. I also noticed with this setup that with my duet controler when I browse in albums it has created a "No Album" icon with Various Artists, and in there are my 6000 MP3 (because I removed all album tags). If I dare click on that icon I also get very slow response and freezing up to the point where the music will start cutting off. There is something happening that squeezecenter does not like, I m not sure that creating my sub folders will really help. Anyone else getting the same response??

Cheers

Phil Leigh
2008-06-28, 10:57
You need to put some structure into your directories. 6,000 items is too much!

JJZolx
2008-06-28, 12:28
Thanks for the comments. I guess I need to do some changes. But the thing is I do not want to mix my 6000 MP3 with My ripped FLAC.

In the file system you don't have to mix them. In SqueezeCenter you don't have much choice - they're going to be mixed in.

I also dont want to do a cleanup of my MP3, it took me long enough to clean the 500 FLAC albums with the artwork and all.

That's up to you. Expect the same performance you're seeing now if you don't.

So it seems that I will need to break my MP3 in sub folders. I wonder if 500 files is OK, that would make it to 6 sub folders.

I don't think anyone can really say. It will depend a bit on how fast your server is, so try it and see.

I also noticed with this setup that with my duet controler when I browse in albums it has created a "No Album" icon with Various Artists, and in there are my 6000 MP3 (because I removed all album tags). If I dare click on that icon I also get very slow response and freezing up to the point where the music will start cutting off. There is something happening that slimbox does not like, I m not sure that creating my sub folders will really help. Anyone else getting the same response??

That's how SqueezeCenter will catalog the files without an album tag. They all belong to the same generic "no album" unless told otherwise.

I imagine you removed the album tags to avoid having all those singles creating incomplete "albums" with only one or two tracks. That's the tradeoff - either everything goes under a single album, or you get albums with singles in them.

It's been brought up in the past that SqueezeCenter doesn't handle singles very well.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7515

Nonreality
2008-06-28, 14:16
You can use MediaMonkey to fix this if you want and I would highly recommend that you do fix it. Mediamonkey can organize your library into an Artist/Album/track# Title in minutes but you'll have to buy the full version to do it. It can handle the Flac files also. Regardless of what you use you are going to have problems unless you do use something to organize your files in a more coherent form. I think dBpoweramp and maybe foobar could also do it and foobar is free so you might try it on a few albums and see if it can. Once you have it organized it will be a lot easier for you too. You can see instantly what you have if you need to move or edit things. Good luck.

To make it easy to tell if it is a flac album or mp3, I used mp3tag to add (FLAC) to end of all my flac album names. If you get to this point and need help, let me know.

Wonko
2008-06-29, 00:29
You can use MediaMonkey to fix this if you want and I would highly recommend that you do fix it. Mediamonkey can organize your library into an Artist/Album/track# Title in minutes but you'll have to buy the full version to do it

I'm pretty sure that the free version of MM would do this should you go down this route. The paid-for 'gold' version adds some extra bells and whistles like auto-monitoring of files but this wouldn't be needed for a one-off reorganisation.

I do something similar to JJZolx's suggestion but I set the album tag to something like "Light Years [CDS]" and then organise them as for albums as (root)\album artist\album\# track. If you have got individual tracks instead of complete cd singles then you would probably end up with a lot of folders with only a single track in them but this could have advantages if you wanted to save album art jpgs in the folder.

Nonreality
2008-06-29, 02:58
I'm pretty sure that the free version of MM would do this should you go down this route. The paid-for 'gold' version adds some extra bells and whistles like auto-monitoring of files but this wouldn't be needed for a one-off reorganisation.

I do something similar to JJZolx's suggestion but I set the album tag to something like "Light Years [CDS]" and then organise them as for albums as (root)\album artist\album\# track. If you have got individual tracks instead of complete cd singles then you would probably end up with a lot of folders with only a single track in them but this could have advantages if you wanted to save album art jpgs in the folder.I should have checked as I just installed it a few hours ago. I could have checked before I put my code in. I hadn't been using for a bit as I was manually organizing lately. The new version sure works better on my laptop as before it didn't do well with my library being on my desktop. The new one acts like my library is local so they did some good stuff in Version 3.0.3 I know that to have it keep your library organized you need the gold version.

moley6knipe
2008-07-02, 04:41
@ Jac - try www.mp3tag.de/en for organising your mp3 folders.

Here's the folder structure I use, and it works very well with SqueezeCenter.

C:\Music\Artist\Album\01-track01.mp3; 02-track02.mp3 etc (for single-artist discs)

C:\Music\COMPS\Album\01-track01.mp3; 02-track02.mp3 etc (for compilations discs)

Quote - "I cleaned my tags to the simplest it can be (only the title and artist. no art, album, etc...)"

I suspect your lack of "Track" and "Album" tags will cause problems, especially if you don't have the Track Number in each file's file-name? How do you get an album to play in the correct, ie as per the CD, order?

mp3tag can automate a lot of things, but without the Track and Album info anywhere you're in for a lot of manual tagging!

An easy first step would be to get mp3tag to create an Artist folder structure from your mp3 files; it can do this by extracting everything before the - in the filename, creating the folders and moving the files. That will certainly help, I would think.

Post back if you want a hand using mp3tag!