PDA

View Full Version : Recommended System

hirsp1
2008-06-25, 13:37
I've got two regular SB3s...and love them. We're moving our offices and want to figure out what's the best way to go. Do we get 3 additional SB "Classic" boxes? Or do we get 3 receivers and 1 controller? Can those without the controller access the receivers via the web interface to control their music? Or are the receivers only controllable via the web interface?

We'll have 2 executive offices and 1 "office peon" workstation area with 4-8 people in it.

Recommendations?

MuckleEck
2008-06-25, 13:44
The receivers can be controlled by the web interface in the same way as the "classic".

iPhone
2008-06-25, 14:07
I've got two regular SB3s...and love them. We're moving our offices and want to figure out what's the best way to go. Do we get 3 additional SB "Classic" boxes? Or do we get 3 receivers and 1 controller? Can those without the controller access the receivers via the web interface to control their music? Or are the receivers only controllable via the web interface?

We'll have 2 executive offices and 1 "office peon" workstation area with 4-8 people in it.

Recommendations?

If the money is there, I would buy a Duet and two Receivers (for total of three SBRs). The Controller will make it easier to set the SBRs up and one of the big wigs can keep it in the office. All the Receivers can be reached with the Web UI and if anybody has a Nokia 880 or iTouch/iPhone by that way also if there is a WLAN.

The only way a Receiver can't be controlled is by IR Remote. Anything else you can do with an SB3, you can do with an SBR.

JJZolx
2008-06-25, 18:44
Although you can control the receivers via the web interface, same as with an SB3, there are a couple things that you won't have:

1. No screen output. In case one of the peons wonders what's playing. They can find out by looking at the web interface, but it's not as convenient.

2. No remote interface. You won't be able to simply pick up an IR remote and adjust the volume level, or hit 'skip', 'pause' or 'stop'. You'll have to go to the web interface or find your office's one controller to manage the player.

3. You won't have fine grained volume control. If I'm not mistaken, if you control volume via the web interface, the available skins offer only a limited degree of volume control. The Default skin, for example, only has 10 levels plus mute.

hirsp1
2008-06-26, 17:36
If the money is there, I would buy a Duet and two Receivers (for total of three SBRs). The Controller will make it easier to set the SBRs up and one of the big wigs can keep it in the office. All the Receivers can be reached with the Web UI and if anybody has a Nokia 880 or iTouch/iPhone by that way also if there is a WLAN.

The only way a Receiver can't be controlled is by IR Remote. Anything else you can do with an SB3, you can do with an SBR.

Thank you much. The Duet/Receiver option is less expensive than the SB3 option...so we may end up going that way.

I appreciate the suggestions and info!

Mnyb
2008-06-26, 17:54
And it's not possible to select SqueezeNetwork for a Reciever with the web interface (as it is with an SB3 ) you need a controller to do that*.
Although listening to webradio trough the SqueezeCenter works just fine.

/Mikael

*if not changed in a recent beta ?

Nonreality
2008-06-26, 18:09
I'd get 2 Classics and Duet. All controllable by remote and displays for all. All can use SC or SN easier. In the long run you'll like it better. The biggest wig can control them all.

th00ht
2008-07-02, 14:44
I'd get 2 Classics and Duet.

Cannot they be all controlled by the SC7 web interface, so does one need the Duet?

Interstingly nobody talks about quality. Is there a difference between the Wolfson DAC and the BurrBrown DAC? Did someone hear the 0.002% harmonic distortion. Otherwise it is interesting that the more expensive (Duet) is actually of a lesser quality.

radish
2008-07-02, 17:38
Interstingly nobody talks about quality.

Lots of people have talked about quality in the past (the official line is that in real world situations the SBR and SB3 have basically identical performance) - but it hardly seems relevant in an office situation.

Otherwise it is interesting that the more expensive (Duet) is actually of a lesser quality.
How do you get that the Duet is more expensive? The Duet is two things, not one. The SBR on it's own costs considerably less than an SB3. An SB3 plus an SBC costs more than a Duet.