PDA

View Full Version : Enabling Wake On Lan

mswlogo
2008-06-24, 11:16
I had Wake On Lan working fine with a SB3 (wired and fixed IP) and a wired IBM Think Pad Laptop Server (wired fixed IP).

I replaced the SB3 with a Transporter and it just continued to work fine.

I gave my daughter the SB3 and she wants to do Wake On Lan also.

The SB3 (wireless and DHCP IP) and the server is a Dell 360 (wired DHCP).

I verified the Dell 360 can do Wake On Lan at work with the exact same model Dell. She has enbled it in Bios and updated Bios. I also verified a wireless laptop can broadcast the WOL packet.

But the Wake On Lan with her setup refuses to work.

Any ideas. She has a different router than I do. I have LinkSys and I forget what she has.

Any ideas? How does SB3 know the MAC address to send WOL packet to?

Do you think fixed IP's would help?

syburgh
2008-06-24, 11:41
SB knows MAC address of server because they are on same segment (uses dynamic ARP). If they aren't (e.g. proxy arp or different subnets) then it will send the WOL packet to the wrong MAC address (e.g. the router's MAC address in the case of proxy arp or routing).

Different routers handle wireless in different ways-- if the cable router bridges the segments (so SB knows server's real MAC address) then WOL will work. If it does something other than simple bridging than the SB will send the WOL packet to the wrong MAC address and the server will not receive it.

Can validate whether the router is the issue by temporarily connecting SB to wired segment on router to test WOL. If it works then the server is fine and the router is the issue.

Good luck! BTW: Static IP vs DHCP will not change this situation

Mnyb
2008-06-26, 00:10
You now, you can edit an SB3's Server Mac with the ir-remote, but your network is beyond my experience i don't know if it will help you.

I had a situation when i changed server, the SB3 remembered my old servers mac.

Press left arrow for >5 seconds and you enter the setup meny use down arrow, go to current settings (2 of 4 )then rigth arrow scroll around to SqueezeCenter Mac (9 of 19).

If you press rigth arrow from here you can edit it !

NB don't edit the SB3's own mac (14 of 19 ) in current settings ;-)

Lesu
2008-06-26, 03:04
Mswlogo
Have you tried a factory level reset on the SB3? It retains the last MAC address it was using in memory and doesn't reset it to the new system automatically. There have been some previous threads regarding this problem. One would think that if a new IP address has been detected then the MAC address would be read from it, but it isn't. Only a factory level reset will get it to re-read the MAC address.

mswlogo
2008-07-02, 19:33
Mswlogo
Have you tried a factory level reset on the SB3? It retains the last MAC address it was using in memory and doesn't reset it to the new system automatically. There have been some previous threads regarding this problem. One would think that if a new IP address has been detected then the MAC address would be read from it, but it isn't. Only a factory level reset will get it to re-read the MAC address.

I had to update NetWork drivers and enable it on the card.

After that I ran into the problem you describe here. I don't know what MAC address it was using but it was wrong. Once I did that all was well.

Thanks.