PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter and Controller on different Subnets/Segments

Klaus
2008-06-23, 13:56
hello... i just got the controller and wanted to add it to my current slimserver and squeezebox. but while reading and also trying i found out, that the center and controller have to be on the same network subnet/segment.

in my case this is not possible, as my sqeezecenter is installed on a server on the internet, ip 77.x.x.x .. and my local network is 192.168.1.x ... so are there any hacks, hints for forcing to connect anway to 77.x.x.x and showing me the devices without using the discovery.

just as last detail, squeeze controller and squezzebox are on the same (192.x.x) network.

thanks for any advice

Mark Miksis
2008-06-23, 14:03
but while reading and also trying i found out, that the center and controller have to be on the same network subnet/segment.

Not true. On the SBC, just go to Music Source->Other Server and enter the IP address of your SC. As long as a route exists and there are no firewalls in the way, this should work fine.

Klaus
2008-06-23, 14:31
Not true. On the SBC, just go to Music Source->Other Server and enter the IP address of your SC. As long as a route exists and there are no firewalls in the way, this should work fine.

i tried this, the route exists (tested from pc in same network) and firewall is configured correctly. but when i got player, i don't see any players

pfarrell
2008-06-23, 14:38
Klaus wrote:
> Fletch;314434 Wrote:
>> Not true. On the SBC,
>
> i tried this, the route exists (tested from pc in same network) and
> firewall is configured correctly. but when i got player, i don't see
> any players

I had the same kinds of problems, which all went away when I put all the
computers on the same subnet. I think my router was not properly
forwarding the messages between subnets.

The obvious hack is to put an extra NIC on your server, connect it to
your inside the house subnet, and enjoy.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mark Miksis
2008-06-23, 14:45
My home LAN has multiple subnets and it all works even with SBC, SB players and SC all on different segments.

Klaus, just to confirm a few simple things:
- Your post uses the terms slimserver and squeezecenter interchangeably. The SBC requires at least SC 7.0.
- The SBC never actually talks to the players - it just gets that info from SC. So if a player is listed as connected in the SC web UI, the SBC should also see it. If it doesn't, I'm not sure why...

Klaus
2008-06-23, 14:53
The obvious hack is to put an extra NIC on your server, connect it to
your inside the house subnet, and enjoy.

thanks for your hint, but as SC is on the internet, i won't be able to talk with private addresses over the internet

Klaus
2008-06-23, 14:55
My home LAN has multiple subnets and it all works even with SBC, SB players and SC all on different segments.

Klaus, just to confirm a few simple things:
- Your post uses the terms slimserver and squeezecenter interchangeably. The SBC requires at least SC 7.0.
- The SBC never actually talks to the players - it just gets that info from SC. So if a player is listed as connected in the SC web UI, the SBC should also see it. If it doesn't, I'm not sure why...

ok, i'm using SC 7.1, and as far as i have read, SC 7.1 makes some broadcast for SBC

pfarrell
2008-06-23, 15:01
Klaus wrote:
> thanks for your hint, but as SC is on the internet, i won't be able to
> talk with private addresses over the internet

I'm confused. Is the SC box not in your house?
Its trivial to have one server have two nics and two separate IP addresses.

If its not in your house, how can anything find it? It takes three ports
to talk the SlimProtocols

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Klaus
2008-06-23, 15:03
maybe a detail, but i have no duet, i just have the SBC and the Squeezebox Classic player

radish
2008-06-23, 15:05
Things to check:

1) The player(s) must be connected to the SC instance and must be controllable via the web interface. If this doesn't work, fix it first.
2) You must have open firewall ports for (at least) 9000 & 3483 between the two nets, assuming you haven't changed any default ports. Must also be routable (of course).
3) The SBC won't discover the server (and neither will the players - see step 1!) but if you enter the IP manually it should connect.
4) Make sure the players aren't connected to SN.

If you still have issues please post back and let us know more specifics about exactly what you're doing and what happens.

Klaus
2008-06-23, 15:16
Klaus wrote:
> thanks for your hint, but as SC is on the internet, i won't be able to
> talk with private addresses over the internet

I'm confused. Is the SC box not in your house?
Its trivial to have one server have two nics and two separate IP addresses.

If its not in your house, how can anything find it? It takes three ports
to talk the SlimProtocols

;-) i have a root server outside somewhere in the internet. the ports are routed trough the internet, that's no problem at all. but I can add other nic's to the server, but still I can't route a private network (e.g. 192.168.x.x) over the internet without any tunneling/vpn/etc

Klaus
2008-06-23, 15:23
Things to check:

1) The player(s) must be connected to the SC instance and must be controllable via the web interface. If this doesn't work, fix it first.
2) You must have open firewall ports for (at least) 9000 & 3483 between the two nets, assuming you haven't changed any default ports. Must also be routable (of course).
3) The SBC won't discover the server (and neither will the players - see step 1!) but if you enter the IP manually it should connect.
4) Make sure the players aren't connected to SN.

If you still have issues please post back and let us know more specifics about exactly what you're doing and what happens.

1) okay and using it daily without problems
2) firewall ports are open, double-checked
3) I agree, but when I enter the
4) verified and 200% sure

what i do is, I start the remote (connected to a test SC on my lan), I go to settings - music source - other servers, add the same IP as i can enter on my browser, e.g http://77.xx.xx.xx:9000 - then i try to click the IP, but nothing happens .. it just scrolls a few pixel to the right and then back again.

i try to connect with SBC to classic squeezebox. one more thing to my setup: the SC has a public IP, 77.xx.xx.xx and a private IP 172.16.x.x - i just saw on the classic squeezebox, when listening music from SC I see that it shows the private ip, but i connect to the public ip, maybe this is a problem?

sfraser
2008-06-24, 07:58
1) okay and using it daily without problems
2) firewall ports are open, double-checked
3) I agree, but when I enter the
4) verified and 200% sure

what i do is, I start the remote (connected to a test SC on my lan), I go to settings - music source - other servers, add the same IP as i can enter on my browser, e.g http://77.xx.xx.xx:9000 - then i try to click the IP, but nothing happens .. it just scrolls a few pixel to the right and then back again.

i try to connect with SBC to classic squeezebox. one more thing to my setup: the SC has a public IP, 77.xx.xx.xx and a private IP 172.16.x.x - i just saw on the classic squeezebox, when listening music from SC I see that it shows the private ip, but i connect to the public ip, maybe this is a problem?

Make sure the SC has a valid route back to your private subnet. This will most likely be a route to the external (public) address of the router which is providing the NAT (Network Address Translation) between your service provider and the private network in your house. Verify that ping or ICMP reply or service is turned on your router, and see it you can "ping" the external address of your router from the SC.

Cheers,

Klaus
2008-06-24, 10:15
sorry, my fault .. i found the mistake, didn't open UDP 3483. now all works fine. i double-checked the manual, but missed this one. thanks to all for help

radish
2008-06-24, 15:19
sorry, my fault .. i found the mistake, didn't open UDP 3483. now all works fine. i double-checked the manual, but missed this one. thanks to all for help

That would do it :) Glad you got it up and running.