PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my Music!!

theorangeman
2008-06-23, 11:23
Okay, I finally took the plunge and bought a Squeezebox Duet and must say that I am quite pleased, even with all of the issues and problems that I've read on this board. Fortunately, I have yet to have more than a couple of hickups that were related to my internet connect and not the SB. At any rate, now that I'm a happy camper and no longer looking at the highly expensive Sonos, I've got to find myself a couple sets of affordable yet good quality powered speakers. I supposed the other option is to buy an external amp (if I can get one reasonably priced) and use non-powered speakers. The questions I am left with, which I hope you all can help me with are the following as it relates to wanting to add sound to two more rooms:

(However, I must say that while I don't want to compromise too much on quality, my wallet can only open so far; therefore, I'm looking for the best option for quality and price being factored into the equation).

1. Would you recommend going with a separate amp and then just using regular speakers or just going the powerered speaker route? I have to admit, I haven't done a lot of research on the topic so I'm not sure which direction would give me the best bang for the buck.

1a. If you recommend going with a separate amp, can you also recommend one that is pretty decent quality while at an affordable price?

1b. If you recommend going with the powerered speaker route and also considering that I only need bookshelf speakers, what would you recommend that again, is affordable but good sounding? I've read about AudioEngine 2 speakers on the board, but have never listened to them. Is there a better alternative?

bhaagensen
2008-06-23, 14:19
1. Would you recommend going with a separate amp and then just using regular speakers or just going the powerered speaker route? I have to admit, I haven't done a lot of research on the topic so I'm not sure which direction would give me the best bang for the buck.

1a. If you recommend going with a separate amp, can you also recommend one that is pretty decent quality while at an affordable price?

1b. If you recommend going with the powerered speaker route and also considering that I only need bookshelf speakers, what would you recommend that again, is affordable but good sounding? I've read about AudioEngine 2 speakers on the board, but have never listened to them. Is there a better alternative?

In addition to the AudioEngine 2, there is also the AudioEngine 5, and Aego M. I'd say that if you want to keep within the price range of said speakers, you'd be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck.

Bjørn