PDA

View Full Version : Who to contact about bounces

BigBirdy
2008-06-23, 09:24
A few months back my registration with discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com was
canceled due to bounces. I have now signed up again and I can see that I
still get messages from "discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com". Can
anyone point me in the right direction to address this issue? I actually
see it on other mailing lists I subscribe to.

Nonreality
2008-06-23, 11:02
Just for my own knowledge what is a Bounce?

dsendecki
2008-06-23, 11:25
Bounce e-mail (sometimes referred to as bounce mail) is electronic mail that is returned to the sender because it cannot be delivered for some reason.

snarlydwarf
2008-06-23, 11:33
A few months back my registration with discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com was
canceled due to bounces. I have now signed up again and I can see that I
still get messages from "discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com". Can
anyone point me in the right direction to address this issue? I actually
see it on other mailing lists I subscribe to.

Many mailing list packages use a special return address with '-bounces' as part of the name.

They do this so that bounces from full mailboxes etc don't go back to the list itself, but to the list processing software to handle.

Like postal mail, SMTP has two 'From' addresses. One is the one you usually see in the 'From:' line, which for a mailing list is usually the person who posted the mail.

The other is the SMTP-From, which is 'where to send error notices'.

As I said, it is like snail mail: the From: that most mail clients display is equivalent to the return address on the letterhead. It is where you would send replies. The SMTP-From is like the return address on the envelope: where the post office sends undeliverable mail.

In short, if your mail headers show something like:

From something-bounce@somewhere.com
(some other stuff)

Then all is normal. Don't worry about it.

Replies to the mail (unless a Reply-To sends it elsewhere), will go to Fred, errors getting it to your mailbox would have gone to something-bounce. It doesnt mean your mail is bouncing, just that the list processor is correctly setting itself to process error messages instead of Fred (who really doesnt want to know if 200 people on a large mailing list have full mailboxes).