PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter / SlimServer bitrate limiting only for remote clients

gb115b
2008-06-23, 03:22
hey, i'm not sure if i'm just missing something thats already out there but i was hoping it would be possible to set up bitrate limiting for any non-local clients connecting as i want to play full quality flac at home, but i don't want to destroy my bandwidth on my broadband connection when i'm listening to stuff at work

any ideas?

mherger
2008-06-23, 03:51
> hey, i'm not sure if i'm just missing something thats already out there
> but i was hoping it would be possible to set up bitrate limiting for
> any non-local clients connecting as i want to play full quality flac at

bitrate limiting is per player. Define it for remote players, don't for the locals.

--

Michael

gb115b
2008-06-23, 05:04
but for this i have to have access to the squeezecenter web interface right?

and there's nothing stopping on of my technically illiterate friends logging in and sappign all my bandwidth...

i wish it was a server setting somewhere

mherger
2008-06-23, 05:18
> but for this i have to have access to the squeezecenter web interface
> right?

Yes, but you do this once per player. Have your friends connect when you're at home. Do the configuration. Done.

--

Michael

Philip Meyer
2008-06-23, 06:16
but for this i have to have access to the squeezecenter web interface right?

and there's nothing stopping on of my technically illiterate friends logging in and sappign all my bandwidth...

i wish it was a server setting somewhere

If you are talking about remote streams, rather than remove SqueezeBoxes, it used to be possible to set the bitrate limit as an option on the connection url.

eg. http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3?bitrate=128kbps

I'm not sure whether this still works any longer, or whether it should be bitrate=128. But try it out. If that works, you can give this url to your friends (obviously replacing <localhost> with your server name or IP address.